Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:21 PM

Good post. We realized too late after a couple of bad instances, but we're backing down now. We were excited and trying to build Rome in a day. Things are much better and calmer now.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:31 PM
Default Ceiling Height

We are newbies building in Pine Hills. Does anyone know the standard Ceiling height of a Gardenia, especially in the bonus room off the master bedroom. Can it be adjusted? We have high bookcases and we are trying to figure out if they fit. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie View Post
We are newbies building in Pine Hills. Does anyone know the standard Ceiling height of a Gardenia, especially in the bonus room off the master bedroom. Can it be adjusted? We have high bookcases and we are trying to figure out if they fit. Thanks!

You say you are building ? Ask the people building it for you.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Default Participate in your HOA

I am on the B.O.D. of a large HOA community here in Virginia and I come back to TV every year for a month as a renter.
The message here is to participate in your community. Before visiting TOTV I thought TV was some kind of place where nothing bad ever happened.
From what I have read in the Sun, people here need to get on board to enforce regulations especially residents that have their no good children or grandchildren move in with them and cause trouble here. We have crime where I live also and those who are caught are always from the outside of our community. Get involved !
Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Demand that your realtor provide you with copies of Deed Restrictions and Covenants before you sign anything. After reading and understanding, live by the rules . Removes stress and conflict later.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM

hi, we are thinking of buying a house in Pine Hills and we will be new to TV, have heard all different things like the taxes being higher and have heard you have to pay a Fruitland tax on top of your regular taxes?? Does anyone know this??

thanks all
Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
hi, we are thinking of buying a house in Pine Hills and we will be new to TV, have heard all different things like the taxes being higher and have heard you have to pay a Fruitland tax on top of your regular taxes?? Does anyone know this??

thanks all

Correct. You will pay Lake County tax which is higher than Sumter as well as the City of Fruitland Park tax. BTW, Fruitland Park welcomes all Villagers !
Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Anyone moving to The Villages should be made aware that we are NOT a gated secured community. The Villages has traffic gates on public roads. Even gates with gate attendants cannot stop any car or even ask you questions about your destination. These are fine hard working gate attendants but they are NOT security guards.

But at least give credit to The Villages that most gates have camera recording devices which when needed can see who is coming and going.

These are public roads...not private roads.
True, not a gated community and public roads.
But nevertheless, to me it has the feel of a gated community.
And the cameras are a good idea.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 AM

Thank you for starting this. We are closing on our house soon and I will look forward to watching this thread for suggestions.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I agree with all of the above.

To add to a few. When shopping for golf cart...sometimes paying the extra eliminates problems down the road. Will they come to your home if you have a problem?

When finding a landscape company..check here on TOTV, but also ask other folks who's yard you like who they used and are they happy. Thats one area that I didn't do enough research. I'm stuck with dead plants and a company that could care less....never come around to see how plants, etc are doing.

If possible, walk the neighborhood and see who your neighbors will be. And if you meet some ask them about noise...trains, barking dogs, etc.

There are many reasons why a plant is not doing well but it all comes down to THE WRONG PLANT IN THE WRONG PLACE.

The box stores are selling peonies. They need a cold spell which we do not have. I read somewhere that in the winter? you can water them with ice water. I'm not going to do that. Some of you might do it for a year or two. In the end it is THE WRONG PLANT IN THE WRONG PLACE.

This year-while it has not been declared, we are in a drought. We've not had rain in two months. Currently, we are 7-10 inches below normal for rain-that is 20-25% short. You want to greatly reduce your application of fertilizer as it will force growth when there is little or no water.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the water systems. I know i will have to have one but i will be more cautious in the process.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Gold member

If you buy a resale, be sure you contact the contractors that deliver your mail to make sure they know to reassign the mailbox to you. I thought this was taken care of by The Villages but they don't do that. Orientation never mentioned this was necessary. If you need the phone number for your area, call the CDD office.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:44 PM

Mail is toss-able ... but if someone is coming to your door, PLEASE call the Warranty Office or VCDD office and give them names and other information .
Solicitation is not acceptable here
Old 07-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Best Advise

One of the best pieces of advise you will receive is before you hire a contractor, landscaper, dentist, etc.etc. call Seniors vs Crime to see if they have any records of the Company,practice, etc. Don't ever give any money up front, if it is a knock on the door remember door to door is not allowed in the Villages. If a Landscaper says they are "Licensed" unless they are also a contractor Florida does not license landscapers. Make sure you have a contract for work to be done and end date. There are a lot of good Companies in the Villages but there are also some not so good. Seniors vs Crime can at least give you some leads who is good and who is or may be bad!!!
Old 07-06-2017, 08:07 PM

I think one of the best resources are our neighbors, many have been here awhile and mine have been very helpful. Everything doesn't have to be done in 5 minutes, but somethings, like getting good lawn care is something that needs immediate decisions. So get to know your neighbors.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.