Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfree1411@aol.com View Post
This is a wonderful idea. I just moved in and still don't have the furniture I ordered(until end of NOV). I have a question about the country clubs, besides golf is there a reason to join? I see they have restaurants as well, how much is it to join each & is it worth it?
There is no membership to eat at any of the golf course restaurants. They are open to the public.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:51 PM

For those yet to move. An old formula in the moving industry is that you can get 6.5 pounds of household goods +/- per square foot of "under roof" house. (Not including the garage and Lanai) For example, if you buy a 2,,000 square foot house you can fit no more than 13,500 pounds. When your mover does their estimate, they will tell you how much the items you are moving weigh. Don't move stuff that will not fit. As stated by previous posters, bring less not more. If the budget allows, bring the good stuff and replace the rest when you get here.

Last edited by brohrig; 10-17-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Wrong post
Old 10-17-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
All the cell phone numbers I gave out during the building process will be changed when we move full time to TV. I never give out my unlisted land line number to anyone except friends and family. That should stop the vendor calls.
Great suggestions. Question, we're coming from WA in 2022 and want a copper landline, any recommendations of which companies have real copper landlines? Thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 10:50 AM

I agree to a point, but some of door knockers are legiment low pressure sales people who need new sales to support our families. I'm understanding that you would rather we not work and rely on support from public agencies

Last edited by Grumps1361; 10-18-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling grammar adjusts
Old 10-19-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyandPeter View Post
Great suggestions. Question, we're coming from WA in 2022 and want a copper landline, any recommendations of which companies have real copper landlines? Thanks
We moved from Oregon this past year, to the area south of 44; the village of Marsh Bend.

We kept our cell phone numbers (503 area code) and we have two Google Voice numbers (free, one 503 and one 352). Son and daughter-in-law who live in Georgia are on our plan and have Oregon 503 phone numbers.

Copper land lines (POTS - plain old telephone service) is available, but not necessary.

We have Panasonic cordless telephone handsets spread around the house that have "link to cell" capability, so we can answer either cell phone with the cordless handsets. Don't miss the copper land line at all.

We can program the Google phone numbers to ring thru to any phone number.

There really isn't much need for POTS phone numbers these days. Even the cable/internet companies use different technology to implement phone service these days.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 10-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Default Thumb drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
In addition I suggest a thumb drive with you at all times.
Last time we moved our doctor sugested we get a thumb drive that had a medic-alert symbol on it and add it to our keys. If something happens when traveling you have all right at hand and emts look for medic alets.
We scanned in the medical files and had a file titled emergency overview at the top listing meds alergies pre existing conditions etc. When my husband had a cardiac problem the nurse took the drive plugged it into the computer and transfered the whole lot into a file with his name on it. No waiting for a link to the files from the doctor etc. Some doctors nurses will set the drive up for you for a fee. But there are two types one that is just a blank thumb with medical markings and the other has software with questions to answer included.

Just a thought
I work in Health Information (Medical Records). Thumb drives are great for getting your records on your personal PC. The problem with thumb drives is that they can spread computer viruses. A lot of facilities have security that will not allow you to use them. A bulkier solution is a CD but again not everyone has a CD drive or the correct software to use them. I am the person in my large multihospital network that downloads all of the CDs. My one suggestion is that you never ever need to request your entire medical record unless you are suing someone. Ask for an abstract or pertinent information including recent labs, radiology reports and dictation from hospitals. Add medication and allergy information from primary care. That should cover everything you need.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:50 PM

We have lived here 23 years. At first you will be told you have hard water, this is usually a lie. Never pay pest control in advance, only quarterly, easy to stop if not performing. Landscaping can be a problem, tree trimming, check with people that have lived here, they may be able to help you. Don't pay ahead until done. Good Luck to you.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are!
How sad - would that half of these people could be Handymen. A good Handyman get $40/hr.
That's good money, isn't it?
Old 11-15-2020, 07:28 AM
Veteran member
Default Never ever pay in advance !

Or even give a small deposit!!!
Always get a lien release !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Do not pay for any service in advance. There may be a few exceptions to this "rule" but until you are really settled in and know who's who it is best not to make payments in advance.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:18 PM

Please be careful. The local services love to overcharge women for the same services they would charge couples. In less than one year I’ve had 4 lawn mowing services and the prices varied by 40%. Do not ever give your credit card number to put on file, as they set it up for auto pay. Best thing to do is contact your major credit card company - MasterCard Visa Amex and tell them one time charge only.

Other big Red Flags are Scott Plumbing, Deans, Sun Kool, Floormasters TD, Nove, Pegasus - TV owns an equity stake therefore their prices are always higher. Be careful of contractors you may not be purchasing a one time function but maintenance where they charge you crazy prices and may not be due. My brother in law bought Nova water system charged him 600- in Sept 2019, they did not move in full time until 2020 and they returned October 2020 to change a filter $132- which is cukoo, excuse was annual filter changing

No longer do any local departments come out and replace fire detector batteries anymore.

Don’t waste 60- on local newspaper, the Sun, it is ads and real estate which has no benefit for you.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Please be careful. The local services love to overcharge women for the same services they would charge couples. In less than one year I’ve had 4 lawn mowing services and the prices varied by 40%. Do not ever give your credit card number to put on file, as they set it up for auto pay. Best thing to do is contact your major credit card company - MasterCard Visa Amex and tell them one time charge only.

Other big Red Flags are Scott Plumbing, Deans, Sun Kool, Floormasters TD, Nove, Pegasus - TV owns an equity stake therefore their prices are always higher.
Be careful of contractors you may not be purchasing a one time function but maintenance where they charge you crazy prices and may not be due. My brother in law bought Nova water system charged him 600- in Sept 2019, they did not move in full time until 2020 and they returned October 2020 to change a filter $132- which is cukoo, excuse was annual filter changing

No longer do any local departments come out and replace fire detector batteries anymore.

Don’t waste 60- on local newspaper, the Sun, it is ads and real estate which has no benefit for you.
Where can I find information that the developer owns an equity stake in any of these companies?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 11-28-2020, 04:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Where can I find information that the developer owns an equity stake in any of these companies?
Yes, I'd be interested in that information as well.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Other big Red Flags are Scott Plumbing, Deans, Sun Kool, Floormasters TD, Nove, Pegasus - TV owns an equity stake therefore their prices are always higher. Be careful of contractors you may not be purchasing a one time function but maintenance where they charge you crazy prices and may not be due. My brother in law bought Nova water system charged him 600- in Sept 2019, they did not move in full time until 2020 and they returned October 2020 to change a filter $132- which is cukoo, excuse was annual filter changing

You are constantly giving out misinformation. I thought you moved to Atlanta?

Nova does not come automatically. You have to call them a d request them to change filters. They suggest you change filters AFTER using a certain amount of gallons of water, as noted on your water bill. There are 3 filters not 1 that they change.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:

The only statement that is true is lawn services can vary by 40% in their pricing.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:23 PM

I don’t know where you get your information from but just to clarify

Nova Filtration is a Family owned and operated Company And the owners are Villagers since 2012.
The Villages have no ownership or vested interest in the company.
As far as filter changes are concerned they are recommended to be changed annually regardless if your full time or part time. All of this information is given before the customer buys the systems.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.