Independence Day Fireworks on Lake Sumter

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a fireworks display on Lake Sumter...on Independence Day?
YES-As long as it's free. 53 39.26%
YES-Even if I had to pay an extra $5 a year. 40 29.63%
YES-But would prefer it at Christmas, or when more people are here. 2 1.48%
NO-They're boring...even if it was free. 18 13.33%
NO-Especially if I had to pay anything extra for it. 22 16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default Independence Day Fireworks on Lake Sumter

Thanks Mods!

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-30-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Sage
Default Independence Day Fireworks on Lake Sumter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
For the first time in many years the Villages will have a community fireworks display on the 4th of July. Technicians are prepping the boat to launch fireworks from the middle of Lake Sumter!
We've been here, either renting or owning, for 8 Independence Day's and have always wondered that with the perfect venue of Lake Sumpter (I put the pee in it )...why there was never a fireworks display.

If it does happen...it will be very, very cool!

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-30-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
We've been here, either renting or owning, for 8 Independence Day's and have always wondered that with the perfect venue of Lake Sumpter (I put the pee in it )...why there was never a fireworks display.

If it does happens...it will be very, very cool!

I agree !
Old 06-30-2018, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
I agree !
Yep.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
For the first time in many years the Villages will have a community fireworks display on the 4th of July. Technicians are prepping the boat to launch fireworks from the middle of Lake Sumter!
The fireworks display will have to be before 7pm because it will wake up all the old folks.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If everyone gets their little hearts desire than the charges will go up. That is the bottom line.

I like it the way it is.
If you are talking about fireworks, I disagree!

For the past 30 years in Urbana, Ohio, the Rotary Club would collect monies from businesses, individuals and Rotarians to fund fireworks held at the city owned airport. The club did this in the spirit of patriotism and for all our citizens to enjoy for free. I will miss it this year as I am down here.

Someday, I would hope a local group could do the same here in the Villages. The cost of freedom is not free.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you are talking about fireworks, I disagree!

For the past 30 years in Urbana, Ohio, the Rotary Club would collect monies from businesses, individuals and Rotarians to fund fireworks held at the city owned airport. The club did this in the spirit of patriotism and for all our citizens to enjoy for free. I will miss it this year as I am down here.

Someday, I would hope a local group could do the same here in the Villages. The cost of freedom is not free.
Too expensive for The Developer?

I'm sure a few bucks could be found to do this once a year...whereby so many could enjoy it.

Just one idea is how about rotating (1 a week) and going 'dark' (on say Monday's)...with the live music at one of the squares?

Or maybe cutting back on the 2-3 flower plantings a year...on a couple of medians?

Or?????

And if The Developer is that broke, I for one, would be willing to donate an extra $5 a year to help out...to see a moderate fireworks display on Lake Sumpter (oops, I did it again ).
Old 06-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The developer has made a lot of wise decisions in my opinion. I bet that the preponderance of Villagers don't want to have fireworks here in TV. We have seen a lot of fireworks in our lifetimes.

And I repeat;

If everyone gets their little hearts desire than the charges will go up. That is the bottom line.

I like it the way it is. Love the flowers. Like EVERYTHING.

If we want to see fireworks on the fourth of July here in The Villages, all we need do is stand in our driveways and look in any direction. Or drive to a nearby community.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-30-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Sage
Default POLL - Fireworks Display On Lake Sumter

Just a quick poll, not that it will make any difference of course, on whether residents would like to see a fireworks display...on the 4th of July at Lake Sumter.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Platinum member

In my past life I had to provide security for a fireworks display. The overtime costs were crazy, the parking issues drove everyone nuts and the drunks just wanted to act like A-Holes. There is not an area in The Villages that can handle fireworks. It's not the families issue.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
In my past life I had to provide security for a fireworks display. The overtime costs were crazy, the parking issues drove everyone nuts and the drunks just wanted to act like A-Holes. There is not an area in The Villages that can handle fireworks. It's not the families issue.
I would presume then, that you're against other 'special events' whereby speaker's/rally's have occurred here...due to those same issues?
Old 06-30-2018, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,306 Times in 866 Posts

Another issue with Fireworks is that they could not be limited to Villagers, but would be open to public. That could bring lots of folks that don't really care about this place.. If I want to see Fireworks I will go to Leesburg...their display has been fun in the past. I personally don't want to see Fireworks anywhere in The Villages. I also find it interesting that when ever something doesn't meet individual expectations they blame the Developer.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Another issue with Fireworks is that they could not be limited to Villagers, but would be open to public. That could bring lots of folks that don't really care about this place.. If I want to see Fireworks I will go to Leesburg...their display has been fun in the past. I personally don't want to see Fireworks anywhere in The Villages.

I also find it interesting that when ever something doesn't meet individual expectations they blame the Developer.
I find it interesting that you see some kind of "blame" here.

It's simply expressing an 'opinion/wish' for something... of which you're also (obviously) entitled.

And wouldn't a fireworks display on Lake Sumter...have to be approved by The Developer?

Just as when they have other special events/rally's in the squares?

If I'm wrong (entirely possible), from whom/what would the permission...need to be granted?
Old 06-30-2018, 09:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Snip>I bet that the preponderance of Villagers don't want to have fireworks here in TV. We have seen a lot of fireworks in our lifetimes.<Snip

Fireworks Poll Here
Old 06-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I find it interesting that you see some kind of "blame" here.

It's simply expressing an 'opinion/wish' for something... of which you're also (obviously) entitled.

And wouldn't a fireworks display on Lake Sumter...have to be approved by The Developer?

Just as when they have other special events/rally's in the squares?

If I'm wrong (entirely possible), from whom/what would the permission...need to be granted?
Permission: 1. State Fire Marshal. 2. Sumter County fire officials. 3. Villages Public Safety Department. 4. USCG.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.