Indoor TV Antenna

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 AM
Default Indoor TV Antenna

DISH recently stopped broadcasting NBC (WESH). It's been two weeks with no signs of settling. Has anyone been successful in installing an attic antenna and getting WESH over the air. We installed an antenna and were successful in getting over 50 channels, but not WESH. Spoke with VillagesAV and were advised the reason we were unable to get WESH is because they are using UHF while most other channels are using VHF. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTgolfer View Post
DISH recently stopped broadcasting NBC (WESH). It's been two weeks with no signs of settling. Has anyone been successful in installing an attic antenna and getting WESH over the air. We installed an antenna and were successful in getting over 50 channels, but not WESH. Spoke with VillagesAV and were advised the reason we were unable to get WESH is because they are using UHF while most other channels are using VHF. Any suggestions are welcome.
I receive all the major networks via antenna in the attic. Channel 2 is on the old VHF Freq. for Channel 11. I then receive all the cable channels via PlayStation Vue over the Internet using a Roku Box. Works for me.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 AM

You have it backwards, NBC is VHF and all the others are UHF. The UHF channels are fairly easy to get, but NBC can be tough. I recently dropped dish, and installed antennas in my attic. NBC was particularly difficult and took a few trys with an amplifier to make it work. I had to use a dedicated VHF antenna to make it work.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Default Antennae

WE have one that works very well. Tom from The Villages AV Installed it. but I believe there was a previous thread that new houses South of 466A use a radiant barrier in the attics that you cannot use an attic antennae
Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM

The NBC that we can get here is WESH-LD18 which is digitally broadcast out of Orange City on frequency 18 as 2-3. It is several degrees away from the Orlando cluster of towers, so the directional antenna doesn't pick it up as well if you want all the other stations. I can get it about 90% of the time. Right now I'm getting at a signal strength of 45 for NBC (2-3) where CBS (6-1) is 72 and ABC (9-1) is 59. The VHF WESH (2-1) is broadcast on frequency 11 and a signal strength of 35 but not enough to register.

WESH - Wikipedia
Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM

I can get NBC 2-1 with a signal of 57 with my setup
Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

Dish here so we watch what NBC programming we want on Roku.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 PM

If you have a radiant barrier, we have an almost new outdoor antenna available. Price is right..free. It is complete and channels are crystal clear. Just get someone to install it for you. We have an antenna in the attic of our new home and don't need it.
>......
Someone is coming this morning for it.

Last edited by gap2415; 03-17-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:14 PM

Those who successfully receive broadcast TV from antennas in your attic: What kind/model of antenna to you have? Where in The Villages are you located? Appreciate your response..
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 PM

I live in Sanibel higher on twisted oak with a antenna in the attic and receive all regular channels and their sub channels. Around 70 with the antenna pointed toward Orlando. clearer than cable and most in HD. The digital antenna is WA-2608 jeje about 2ft by 3 ft with amplifier and remote. Cost $30 at amazon.Is on splitter to 4 TV.Put it on plastic pole nailed to rafters but I do not rotate it but could. Suppose to be good for 150 miles
Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
Those who successfully receive broadcast TV from antennas in your attic: What kind/model of antenna to you have? Where in The Villages are you located? Appreciate your response..
I use a GE Attic Antenna. It looks like a Radar Dish and is about $30. Works about 99% of the time. I also use a pre-amp with it. Again about $30. I'm located in Stonecrest. I have a second antenna that I use if WESH 2 starts to fade out on the GE Antenna. Its a Yagi design that is just for the high end of the VHF spectrum, channel 7 to 13. It is also mounted in the attic. Usually fixes the problem if there is some sort of interference on WESH. Solid Signal on the Internet has all the TV hardware you need. There will be days when some stations will not work well. Sometimes its just a few hours, or could be minutes, or all day or night. I have no more problems receiving stations then I did on the cable. Remember you do have the right to mount an antenna outside on your roof. Most of these antennas are not very large and are not objectionable for looks. No worse then a Satellite Dish. For the cable stations you can get these over the Internet using an Apple TV Box, or Roku Box, or Amazon Fire Stick. The services are Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, Directv Now. I've tried all of them. Playstation Vue seems to work the best so far. I'm testing out Directv Now and the jury is still out. Have seen some things that I do not like on DirectV Now using the Fire Stick. I tried Sling TV for about 2 hours and then cancelled the service. Was not impressed. I've been using Playstation Vue for sometime and I like the service. Has worked well. The reason I'm looking at Directv Now is it has CMT on it. For some reason Playstation Vue dropped them and the Wife wants to watch Nashville. In either case you get a good line up of channels for a reasonable price and no long term contracts.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighsmi View Post
WE have one that works very well. Tom from The Villages AV Installed it. but I believe there was a previous thread that new houses South of 466A use a radiant barrier in the attics that you cannot use an attic antennae
That is not a true statement. I do not know of any homes that have RB installed by the developer. It cost more and takes longer to install.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Sage

Any homes built in the last 1-2 years have a radiant barrier. This includes all the homes in Osceola Hill as well as the Fruitland Park areas and The Village of Fenney. They are using OSB with foil on the attic side for roof sheathing. Here is a link for one manufacturer:

Radiant Barrier Sheathing |Roof Sheathing | LP TechShield

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
That is not a true statement. I do not know of any homes that have RB installed by the developer. It cost more and takes longer to install.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
Labelle Village

Last edited by gap2415; 03-17-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Wrong msg
Old 03-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Any homes built in the last 1-2 years have a radiant barrier. This includes all the homes in Osceola Hill as well as the Fruitland Park areas and The Village of Fenney. They are using OSB with foil on the attic side for roof sheathing. Here is a link for one manufacturer:

Radiant Barrier Sheathing |Roof Sheathing | LP TechShield
If you have this installed an attic antenna will not work well at all. Antenna must be placed outside. You should be able to look up in the attic and see this foil backing. If your home has a section, based on the roof line, which points toward the TV stations and is just wood and siding it may work. But because of the metal backing you might get too much reflected signal from the foil causing a problem. Best bet would be to just move the antenna outside. Yes, you may do this even though the rules of the development say no.
Closed Thread

Tags
wesh, antenna, channels, successful, villagesav

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.