Internet Providor

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran member
Default Internet Providor

I am sure other people have this problem as i have direct tv and have centurylink for computer. I was getting some discounts but now am paying $83.00 a month and have no home phone which is my choice. I have medium speed for my computer. I called direct tv and they said currently no bundling was available in the villages. So what i am looking for is a seperate internet only providor for less than what i am paying now.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Smile

Just signed a bundle with Century Link that includes Prism TV and home phone
Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 AM

Until you find something new, call century link and ask for the retention dept. I spoke with them about our $64 a month bill and they gave us a $20 loyalty discount. As far as other providers, comcast is the only one I know about in the northern section of The Villages.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I have DirecTV and pay about the same as you for 50Mbps speed from Comcast.

I also had CenturyLink and there is simply no comparison to internet speed....Comcast is much faster and more reliable.

You might not save any money, with Comcast, but you should be able to dramatically improve your speed.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

i have dish tv with comcast for internet....i have 25mbs and now pay $44 a month for a year....i had to call the loyal customer number to get that reduced price....it also comes with basic cable which i never hooked up
Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Sage

I have Century Link and I pay $39/month + taxes/fees. I have 10 megabits/sec and I find that works out fine. I could pay more for a higher speed but don't see the need. I work from home and stream video from a Roku box and it works fine. You essentially need 3 megabits/sec with Netflix for HD. I have had 100 megabit/sec internet access in the past and really don't see much of a difference. You may be able to save money by going to a slower speed. My Century Link cost will go up in the spring (1 year "dea"l will be over) by $21/month. At that point I will call them up and try to convince them to give me the "deal" again for another year otherwise I will wind up with 40 megabits/sec at the new cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
I am sure other people have this problem as i have direct tv and have centurylink for computer. I was getting some discounts but now am paying $83.00 a month and have no home phone which is my choice. I have medium speed for my computer. I called direct tv and they said currently no bundling was available in the villages. So what i am looking for is a seperate internet only providor for less than what i am paying now.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I have Century Link and I pay $39/month + taxes/fees. I have 10 megabits/sec and I find that works out fine. I could pay more for a higher speed but don't see the need. I work from home and stream video from a Roku box and it works fine. You essentially need 3 megabits/sec with Netflix for HD. I have had 100 megabit/sec internet access in the past and really don't see much of a difference. You may be able to save money by going to a slower speed. My Century Link cost will go up in the spring (1 year "dea"l will be over) by $21/month. At that point I will call them up and try to convince them to give me the "deal" again for another year otherwise I will wind up with 40 megabits/sec at the new cost.
After getting my bill from Century Link I noticed it shot straight up and after calling them and asking why their reply was "because your 1 year contract is expired". So after asking how I could get it "back" down they told me just to sign another 1 year contract and the price would drop back to where it originally was.

I did that and sure enough, the next month it was reduced. Just glad I didn't "neglect" to watch my bill.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Sage

Excellent! Thanks so much for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird22154 View Post
After getting my bill from Century Link I noticed it shot straight up and after calling them and asking why their reply was "because your 1 year contract is expired". So after asking how I could get it "back" down they told me just to sign another 1 year contract and the price would drop back to where it originally was.

I did that and sure enough, the next month it was reduced. Just glad I didn't "neglect" to watch my bill.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've had Directv since 2008, so when I moved here July 2011 I signed up with Century Link. I get internet with 10 mpbs speed and home phone with unlimited long distance, caller ID and call block for $59.99, with tax it comes to $79 a month. I've had that since the first day and the price has never changed and have never had an outage with either service. Our internet does not have a modem, we connect our router or computer directly to the wall jack, they call it 'to the curb'.

About a year ago I had a problem with my laptop computer. I use to use a password and for some reason it began not recognizing it and I could not go beyond the sign on page. I called Century Link and said I have a problem that doesn't involve the internet. They said they have satellite computer help for $15 a month, I said sign me up. I was immediately connected to a tech, he took control of my computer for about 15 minutes I sat and watched as he moved the mouse around and various windows opened and closed. Then he gave control back to me and everything was fine. The next day I cancelled the tech service and was never charged anything for the service.

The Villages Florida
Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
I have Comcast and I'm thinking the bill is around $72.00, but I have very fast speed 60 mbps. Of course I've had this for awhile and it depends on your plan. I don't have TV with them just internet.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:59 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Comcast has a promotion for new customers. $29.99 per month for 25 Mbps service. With that you can also get the network channels in high definition. Call me for details....

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.