It's not the dog, it is the owner issue

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
I would get some dog mace and spray the dog, when on my lawn.
Do Not hurt the dog. It is not the dog's fault. Plus, OP mentioned s/he likes dogs. So why would you want to injure a dog over something it's blameless for?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
They did call.
I think what Bare meant was they should call Animal Control a second time and report that the dog is continuing to go on their lawn.

I agree with that step as obviously they are not going to take your electric fence brochure complete with pleasant exchange and run out immediately to have a fence installed. If they cared about keeping the dog out of others' yards, they would have done that already, or put the dog out on a line if they're too lazy to go out with it.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default To the dog owner who we know isn't reading this and doesnt care anyway.

This isn't so much about dogs as it is about laziness. Put the dog on a leash, grab a plastic bag and either walk it if you can walk or stand there until Fido goes. Pick it up. It just isn't fair to people to do this to them. They have a right to a poop free yard.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Sage

It happens in many neighborhoods I think. Have heard that happens at the bottom of our street as well, plus we have a neighbor closer who lets their pet out and continues to do so even though people have mentioned the lease law to them. Some folks just don't care! They bring the habits they've had with them when they move here. I really feel for you because that's just plain disrespectful of property imho. (and the law too)
Old 11-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Gold member

I'd pee on their door...
Old 11-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8384 View Post
Barefoot, I also don't believe in being abraisive, however, I have been more than nice as they continue to s__t on me. Remember, I haven't reported them because the dog is off leash, as they are clearly in the wrong, I wait until it enters my property. I am tired of being nice now. My husband says I should report them just for having the dog off leash.
Actually, I agree with your husband.
I would call Animal Control for a second time and ask them "What are my options - the dog owner is again letting the dog run free".
It's the disrespectful owner that is at fault here, not the dog, so I hope you don't heed the suggestions to harm the dog.

Or you could take Looneycat's suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
I'd pee on their door...
Old 11-22-2015, 04:52 PM

I would never hurt any animal. I know they are just doing what comes natural to them. I blame the owner. I wish there was something community standards could do to enforce this issue, and I feel that as long as they dont, this will continue to be an issue for us non pet owners as well as those pet owners who obey the rules. This is pure disrespect to my family, and The Villages, and the law.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
I would never hurt any animal. I know they are just doing what comes natural to them. I blame the owner. I wish there was something community standards could do to enforce this issue, and I feel that as long as they dont, this will continue to be an issue for us non pet owners as well as those pet owners who obey the rules. This is pure disrespect to my family, and The Villages, and the law.
How can community standards enforce Sumter County law?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default No fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
It happens in many neighborhoods I think. Have heard that happens at the bottom of our street as well, plus we have a neighbor closer who lets their pet out and continues to do so even though people have mentioned the lease law to them. Some folks just don't care! They bring the habits they've had with them when they move here. I really feel for you because that's just plain disrespectful of property imho. (and the law too)
Many come from towns/cities where there were fences. If you don't want to walk your dog and pickup after they do their thing , then you should buy a Courtyard Villa or put in the invisible fence.

Life is too short and in retirement we don't need hassle with our backyard neighbor. A bad neighbor? Invite them over for drinks and dinner and do your best to form a good neighbor relationship. Most of the time, this will work.

"I don't like that man, I must get to know him better". A. Lincoln.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How can community standards enforce Sumter County law?
I think our covenants address this situation. Therefore, community standards can do something about it; fine them.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:07 PM
Sage

The owners can receive citation fm sheriff for trespass. Suggest you give them a letter re trespass law prohibiting the dog on your property. If it continues, take photo of dog in your yard and ask law enforcement to enforce laws by issuing citation. Your home and property are protected under state law.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran member

O.P., I'd sell and buy a courtyard villa. Even if that neighbor gave away their dog and never got another one, you are still left with an extremely arrogant jerk neighbor who does not care one bit about private property or rights of others. You'd have to see them behind you all the time, dog or no dog.

Even without a dog, that's exactly the type of jerk who allows their visiting grandchildren to be blasting the stereo in the backyard or lanai at midnight or 7:00 AM. Or if they're toddlers, they'll let them run around punching and kicking their siblings who cry and scream bloody murder nonstop in the yard or in a restaurant. Or if they have a pool, they'll make sure the pump motors jolt you awake at 6:30 a.m. ever day and won't listen when you tell them it's running so loudly that there's something wrong with it. Or they will mow the lawn at 7:00 a.m. twice a week and won't care a bit when you call to say they woke you up every time. We have had or seen scenarios like these, and every time somebody confronts them about their selfish behavior, they are never doing anything wrong and say the one complaining is the mean, terrible person who's a "hater" of dogs, children or migrants hired to mow the grass.

A wall between is the only way you can be assured of not having to see them acting like pompous arses. There are too many nice people and richly enhanced used homes for sale in TV to put up with obnoxious people like that. Find the ones that are kind and volunteer and think about somebody other than themselves.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:32 PM

In my original post I stated that I had stupidly offered to let the dog potty in our yard, etc, but the owner completely ignored me, wouldn't acknowledge I was even there, then walked away as I was talking. No, too late, the olive branch was extended, that was my mistake. That won't happen again.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
In my original post I stated that I had stupidly offered to let the dog potty in our yard, etc, but the owner completely ignored me, wouldn't acknowledge I was even there, then walked away as I was talking. No, too late, the olive branch was extended, that was my mistake. That won't happen again.
There is one way that will work, almost 100% guaranteed. But it takes a little effort on your part. I have owned dogs my whole life. I have never seen a dog that could resist fresh horse or cow manure. If you place a big pile of it in your back yard, you will have a good time watching the neighbor's dog roll around in it and slide chin first through it just to get that smell all over its coat. Then, you'll have a good laugh when the neighbor let's the dog in the house before he realizes what happened. Like I said, it's a bit of an effort for you, but it will probably solve your problem.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:45 PM

It seems in life, usually the person who obeys the rules, and doesn't bother people, is always the one that loses. Me move??? I understand what you are saying, get away from the problem, but that isn't the right answer. We all know the right answer is that this dog owner should do the right thing, unfortunately, I don't think that will happen. What a shame.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, yard, leash, time, owners, unattended, control, called, told, neighbors, clean, made, back, summer, door, north, pay, day, days, nice, law, couple, continue, rules, weeks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.