Lanai - enclosed? Open? Screened?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

We like the outdoor space and the screen alone is great for us.
A little dirt does blow in , no big deal.
We don't need another room to sit in and read, we want outside!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Once you enclose the lania with windows, doesn't it become a room? Kinda defeats the purpose of having a lanai and being outside. I like the idea of just adding a bird cage and leaving the lanai open.
That was my thinking until my wife convinced me that we were not getting enough use out of our lanai - either it was too hot, too cold, too wet or too dirty. So, we installed pocketable low-E glass sliding doors all around so that they can be fully opened in good weather to give the outdoor feel, but closed up the rest of the time. We also added a birdcage off one of the sides such that when the door to it is fully open there is a 12 foot wide opening - thus giving the feel that the lanai and birdcage are all one big outdoors room. For interior wall surface we could have chosen sheetrock since it is protected from the elements but opted for stucco to retain the "lanai feel". We opted to also have pocket sliders from the living room to the lanai thus allowing us to provide a sound barrier between the two rooms to allow two different TVs to be used or to provide a private retreat/ sleeping quarters for visiting relatives. We had a seperate "mini-split" heat pump put in and now this is the most used room in the house and I don't miss our hot/cold/wet/dirty lanai at all.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Sage

Ditto

Last edited by senior citizen; 07-25-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: paragraph
Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
That was my thinking until my wife convinced me that we were not getting enough use out of our lanai - either it was too hot, too cold, too wet or too dirty. So, we installed pocketable low-E glass sliding doors all around so that they can be fully opened in good weather to give the outdoor feel, but closed up the rest of the time. We also added a birdcage off one of the sides such that when the door to it is fully open there is a 12 foot wide opening - thus giving the feel that the lanai and birdcage are all one big outdoors room. For interior wall surface we could have chosen sheetrock since it is protected from the elements but opted for stucco to retain the "lanai feel". We opted to also have pocket sliders from the living room to the lanai thus allowing us to provide a sound barrier between the two rooms to allow two different TVs to be used or to provide a private retreat/ sleeping quarters for visiting relatives. We had a seperate "mini-split" heat pump put in and now this is the most used room in the house and I don't miss our hot/cold/wet/dirty lanai at all.
THIS SOUNDS GREAT and excellent advice........and would work well for us as well with visiting children and grandchildren, friends, etc....extending the indoor living space but still having the screened birdcage.

Yours does sound like a nice "retreat". Thanks for sharing....
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 AM

By remodeling the lani to become a room of the house with a/c and heat we have a wonderful space, all the light I would want, the ability to open all the windows and shut off the a/c, if we want, or heat it, if we want. These are our choices of controlling our space, but without full a/c, heat and double pane windows you have no options, it's just either too hot or too cold.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
We absolutely love our enclosed lanai with low E dual pane windows. Not only did we enclose it but we raised the floor, took OUT the sliding glass doors and arched the new entrance way, extended the existing AC/Heat directly to the main heat/Cooling system in the garage, added drywall, title floors, crown moulding to match. While we were at it we addded an attached "hobby" room off the lanai that also leads into the master bedroom.

Let me tell you we rarely used the lanai in the past, always dirty, wet, hot in summer or cold (chilly) in winter. Now we use it every day and its amazing how a good contractor can bring it all together,

Regarding taxes, the small amout of addiitonal RE tax that may occur by making this room more liveable is well worth the price. You are already pay RE tax on a screened in lanai, so the additional amount you pay after its enclosed is miniscual comapred to the comfort and enjoyment you get everyday...well worth it.
Another great option.........to get more enjoyment from the original lanai.
We had two screened balconies in Venice and we were so wrong thinking that they would remain clean........not so. Also, love the idea of your hobby room...........thanks for sharing.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2travel View Post
By remodeling the lani to become a room of the house with a/c and heat we have a wonderful space, all the light I would want, the ability to open all the windows and shut off the a/c, if we want, or heat it, if we want. These are our choices of controlling our space, but without full a/c, heat and double pane windows you have no options, it's just either too hot or too cold.
Very well said.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Sometimes we are provided way too much information.........................
Old 07-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What is, Bogie Shooter?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
What is, Bogie Shooter?
Thanks "P" for creating that visual.
Skip 2
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
We opted to also have pocket sliders from the living room to the lanai ... We had a seperate "mini-split" heat pump put in ...
Could you expand on your decision to add "pocket sliders" ... did the home not already have sliders? Also, regarding the "mini-split" heat pump ... what is this? Is this totally separate from your main HVAC? TIA,

John
Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Could you expand on your decision to add "pocket sliders" ... did the home not already have sliders? Also, regarding the "mini-split" heat pump ... what is this? Is this totally separate from your main HVAC? TIA,

John
John
I started another thread asking for manufacturers and installers for ductless ac units which are totally separate from your main heat/ac unit. They were developed to add ac to buildings that do not have duct work mainly in Europe and Asia. If you go to the Golf Course starter shacks in The Villages you will see the units hanging on the wall on the inside, no duct work with the compressor outside on the ground, we extended our main ac/heat to our enclosed sun room but I am not happy with the result. The ductless units are sold as ac only and others are both ac and heating. You turn them on only when you need them and they come with a remote and are quiet. I owned a house with a Sanyo and did not like the unit nearly as much as the Mitsubishi my brother has. I asked anyone for positive remarks from local installers, I have used Munns for our heating and ac and will give them a call to get a price. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
Hope this helps.
YES ... it does ... THANKS!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post

John
Yes, our house did have 12 foot and 6 foot sliders, but they were not pocketable (was not an option for Lantanas several years ago). Hence we were limited to a 6 foot opening with the 12 foot door and a 3 foot opening with the 6 foot door. By replacing them with pocket sliders we have full 12 and 6 foot openings and it really allows the rooms to flow together as one ... or to be closed off from each other when wanted.

Yes the mini-split is a separate unit thus providing dual zones (as well as eliminating a single point of failure that occurs with a single, central system.)
Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Don't most people just stop reading if they feel there is too much information?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.