Legal battle brewing over golf-cart access

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Mr. Brown is kind enough to allow and even facilitated 'the people in your town' traversing HIS land in THEIR golf carts - without penalty of any sort - in order to reach locations such as Lowe's, Walmart and Aldi as well as restaurants along Rt27/441...a significant convenience for villagers - especially those who no longer operate a car!

UNCLE! Not only would I follow you to the ends of the earth, Maria, I take seriously everything that comes from your mouth.

But...isn't Mr. BROWN suing to allow his development to have entry to our cart paths? I am NOT likin' THAT.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
If Mr Brown gets angry enough, all he has to do is go to Lowe's and buy a dozen no trespassing signs and the path will be closed. It is his property, and he is free to do with it what he will.
Yes. I agree. He could very easily do that. He would be very well within his right to do so. Anyone who worked over in those businesses on that side would have to find another way to work, and of course shoppers too.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Yes. I agree. He could very easily do that. He would be very well within his right to do so. Anyone who worked over in those businesses on that side would have to find another way to work, and of course shoppers too.

Yes.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Now, even you know that traversing with permission, as Mr. Brown has granted and facilitated, is not trespassing. C'mon!
Yes, but that's my point. All he has to do is shut it down.
Just my opinion, but see TV residents have more to lose than he does at this point.

Dr. Seuss
Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

Mr Brown was willing to finance a resident ID gate, the Commission went silent on that idea. The Commission had one goal, get Mr Brown spread eagle on the utility box.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Sage
This is getting way too complicated, according to a recent report on that other news site. The discussion today involved access to the TVRH parking lot and giving up the right-of-way to Bowersox Ave. The one dissenting voter said he voted that way because he sees a "long and protracted legal fight" with Mr Brown.

Read all about it at you know where.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Sage

Years ago, Mr. Brown took Mr. Morse to court and was given the current right-of-way to his (Mr. Brown's) property. Mr. Morse was refusing to give him access and water to this property. A court of law granted the right-of-way at Bowersox and water rights. So, now the town of Lady Lake is vacating the right-of-way. In a nutshell, that is what this about. Mr. Brown wanted to keep the access and Mr. Morse, I mean the Lady Lake Commission, said no.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I am unfamiliar as to exactly the location of the Paradise Gate? I have been over the bridge and I played Orange Blossom , Hill Top, have been to Walmart, Aldi 's etc. but where's this gate?

The reason I ask is that non-villagers really want this open so they can get to the privately paid and maintained multi-modal paths. As a sidebar look at what it cost us to widen those pathways north of 466 recently.

Is there another location nearby to block non residents from entering our multi-modal pathways?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I am unfamiliar as to exactly the location of the Paradise Gate? I have been over the bridge and I played Orange Blossom , Hill Top, have been to Walmart, Aldi 's etc. but where's this gate?

The reason I ask is that non-villagers really want this open so they can get to the privately paid and maintained multi-modal paths. As a sidebar look at what it cost us to widen those pathways north of 466 recently.

Is there another location nearby to block non residents from entering our multi-modal pathways?
It is not a golf cart access gate. It is a farm gate. A metal gate. There have never been golf carts coming through there. It has nothing to do with the Paradise Gate or the golf cart paths. It is a right-of-way from The Villages to Mr. Brown's personal property that Mr. Morse was required to give him years ago.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Years ago, Mr. Brown took Mr. Morse to court and was given the current right-of-way to his (Mr. Brown's) property. Mr. Morse was refusing to give him access and water to this property. A court of law granted the right-of-way at Bowersox and water rights. So, now the town of Lady Lake is vacating the right-of-way. In a nutshell, that is what this about. Mr. Brown wanted to keep the access and Mr. Morse, I mean the Lady Lake Commission, said no.
Thank you BK...for posting the real reason for the fuss. I wondered just how long it would take to get to the real story. The notice has been posted on the right of way at the end of Bowersox for a while. Guess no-one noticed.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

Kudos to the Lady Lake Commission.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

Mr Brown is a nicer person than I am apparently, if I were him I would go home and get my tractor and dig a ditch at each end of the golf cart path on my property preventing golf cart passage to Walmart.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
It is not a golf cart access gate. It is a farm gate. A metal gate. There have never been golf carts coming through there. It has nothing to do with the Paradise Gate or the golf cart paths. It is a right-of-way from The Villages to Mr. Brown's personal property that Mr. Morse was required to give him years ago.
What does "vacating the right-of-way" mean? This was a piece of land between two house lots. It seems it was left vacant for the sole purpose of providing Mr Brown access to his property, by court order. Does this mean that the lot now can be returned to Mr Morse? Does anybody know?

Also, does the Lady Lake Commission have the authority to override a court's decision? A photo of this gate is on the other news site.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
Mr Brown is a nicer person than I am apparently, if I were him I would go home and get my tractor and dig a ditch at each end of the golf cart path on my property preventing golf cart passage to Walmart.
Maybe he is doing just that. I would at least put "no trespassing" signs all over my property.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceafolks View Post
Thank you BK...for posting the real reason for the fuss. I wondered just how long it would take to get to the real story. The notice has been posted on the right of way at the end of Bowersox for a while. Guess no-one noticed.
But did you read the notice? It said the date of the hearing by the Lady Lake Commission to discuss vacating the right-of-way was "to be announced."

My question is how much of the land abutting TV did Mr. Brown sale? Did he sale the property where the right of way goes into? I know he sold the property where the parking lot is being built which is much closer to st. Rt. 441; behind the medical complex.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.