Lifelong Learning Center

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2016, 06:46 AM
Default Lifelong Learning Center

So very disappointed to read in today's paper about the Learning Center shutting its door because of a lawsuit. Big loss for many of us.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM

What an outrage! When I ran a large business I had to deal with ADA ran amuck.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codysmom View Post
So very disappointed to read in today's paper about the Learning Center shutting its door because of a lawsuit. Big loss for many of us.
Just read this on the front page of The Sun ........... I am so angry that if I say anything it could get me into big trouble. What a dreadful loss for TV. If you read the article it states that TV have been trying to placate these people for 8 years and NOTHING was enough.

Note to me : get off this computer before you put into writing something you will regret!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Platinum member

First, I'm a supporter of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). Without it the disabled would not have equal opportunities in many ways. I don't know the circumstances of the lawsuit, so I can't comment on that, but Director McDaniel of the Charter School apparently offered reasonable accommodations which were refused. I'm sure we'll hear from the other side at some point too.

Second, The Lifelong Learning College is one of the things about which I am most proud of our Villages community, and I'm deeply saddened to see it close. I hope that the community can find a way to reopen the College and provide it's valuable services for the residents for years to come.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:15 AM

I have lived in The Villages for 11 years. Not once have I heard about this lawsuit that has been going on for eight years. Why? If there would've been some public notice about this lawsuit, I am sure villagers would have stepped up to raise funds to accommodate whatever needed to happen to resolve this lawsuit. I have a hard time understanding how the accommodations could not happen. If they needed a hearing loop installed or whatever within the building I'm sure the money could've been raised to make that happen. But without the public knowing the situation we could not help. Now I hope someone will step up to the plate to figure out what can be resolved to rectify and revive the Lifelong Learning College.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 AM

What a sad, sad situation. I've taken quite a few classes and enjoyed every one. Thanx to all the instructors who've given their time and talent to us all. After reading the article, it seems to me that there are a LOT of unanswered questions here. To Be Continued?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:51 AM

Does anyone know the details of the suit? Why were the attempts by the College not enough to meet the ADA? Were the plaintiffs only interested in monetary compensation or were they interested in changes in the operation that are just too expensive? I am a new resident and was looking forward to taking classes, and I too am sad that closing seems to be the only solution.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Default Very sad

We also are new residents, and had been pouring over the catalog looking at the many classes to take over the winter. How very sad that this happened. Having this 'dedicated' to us was one of the many perks we liked to explain to folks visiting or interested in the villages. I really hope this isn't the end, again, very sad day for all of us .
Old 12-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Sage

I owned a construction company-I had to provide handicapped parking and a handicapped bathroom for my employees--my business was not open to the public,

never saw a handicapped electrician,equipment operator--
Old 12-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am so angry about this. Someone wanted to show their superior Washington lobbying skills is MY opinion. Are you happy now????

P.S. I am legally deaf in one ear and have a handicapped child but see NOTHING meritorious in this action.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Found the information about the suit: SCHWARZ v. THE VILLAGES CHARTER SCHOOL, INC. | Case No. 5:12-cv-177-Oc-34PRL. | Leagle.com
Old 12-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
I have lived in The Villages for 11 years. Not once have I heard about this lawsuit that has been going on for eight years. Why? If there would've been some public notice about this lawsuit, I am sure villagers would have stepped up to raise funds to accommodate whatever needed to happen to resolve this lawsuit. I have a hard time understanding how the accommodations could not happen. If they needed a hearing loop installed or whatever within the building I'm sure the money could've been raised to make that happen. But without the public knowing the situation we could not help. Now I hope someone will step up to the plate to figure out what can be resolved to rectify and revive the Lifelong Learning College.
I agree. Why was it kept a secret? If they would have said something I'm sure the villages would have stepped up to the plate. I hope there isn't an underlying agenda here.

Bob
Old 12-02-2016, 08:28 AM

Is there ANYTHING we as a community can do to help stop the closing of the college? How could this have happened almost "overnight"? No one seems to have had any knowledge of this lawsuit even existing, and I know for a fact that the instructors as well as we students have been basically blindsided by this revelation! Do we need to hire a law firm to try and find a solution for both sides to agree upon? Seriously, 18.000 people affected....we have to be able to come up with a way to preserve such an asset to our community.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:30 AM

Is there any possibility that this will affect the free clubs and exercise classes offered at the rec centers?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
Is there any possibility that this will affect the free clubs and exercise classes offered at the rec centers?
I am worried about that too.

Here is an old thread with some similar discussions;
Recreation Dept seeks National Accreditatio

Tags
center, learning, lifelong

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.