Lifelong Learning Center

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

I find it interesting that it is Schwarz v Village Charter Schools?????
Old 12-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

32 of our neighbors (?).
Old 12-02-2016, 08:39 AM

Of course it will....the classes are so crowded now that you have to get to the rec centers an hour early...and this only gets far worse Jan- March. This will have a ripple down affect for sure throughout The Villages.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
I find it interesting that it is Schwarz v Village Charter Schools?????
MANY of the classes of The Lifelong Learning College are/were held in The Villages High School after hours. I guess it was the BUILDING that was deemed unusable for handicapped people.

Government restrictions meant for good harming people in my opinion. Classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Sage

It was an opportunity for some law firm with visions of a deep pocket law suit. The real shame is 200 people are going to lose their jobs.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM

There are too many unknowns, starting with why the lack of visibility of the issue. Certainly, The Villages and its residents, as a whole body, could solve accommodating handicapped residents seeking access to the Lifelong Learning College (LLC). I'm admittedly unclear as to how we are governed, but believe a governing body could and should step in, along with any residents interested in finding a solution. The LLC is among the things I always mention as a reason to live in The Villages. Its closing has to impact quality of life for everyone and possibly even property values to a small degree. I hope someone with authority gets things underway immediately to get the LLC back in operation. Perhaps a "stay-of-execution" on the decision to close is possible, until a long-term solution can be found.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
Thank you. Going right to the source is helpful.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinmann View Post
There are too many unknowns, starting with why the lack of visibility of the issue. Certainly, The Villages and its residents, as a whole body, could solve accommodating handicapped residents seeking access to the Lifelong Learning College (LLC). I'm admittedly unclear as to how we are governed, but believe a governing body could and should step in, along with any residents interested in finding a solution. The LLC is among the things I always mention as a reason to live in The Villages. Its closing has to impact quality of life for everyone and possibly even property values to a small degree. I hope someone with authority gets things underway immediately to get the LLC back in operation. Perhaps a "stay-of-execution" on the decision to close is possible, until a long-term solution can be found.

We are a CDD. I believe that is an excellent thing. We are not self governed and that is fine with me. Hmmm
Old 12-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Sage

After looking at the suit, these people have problems with clubs, rec centers-don't be surprised when they go after the theaters and the rec centers, MVP
Old 12-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran member
Default Learning College

OP wrote it's like throwing out the baby with the bath water. You could also say the plaintiffs are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Now they won't have access to any LLC programs as well, including those that could accommodate the hearing impaired.

Also, I believe TV has a group for hearing impaired residents that meets in a rec center. So they could be affected by any action aimed at rec centers too.

My reading of the court order suggests the plaintiffs are angry about paying amenity fees that support LLC, which they feel has restricted access for them. I say that's a real stretch. I hope this decision is appealed, and quickly!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Gold member

after trying to read all the legal mumbo..jumbo....

what I can decifer is the last plaintiff was deaf and required a sign language interpeter for a LLC he wanted to take located at the charter school.

somehow this demand went from one class to all 450 club/classes.

The VCDD would not provide stating it would cost over $1,000,080 to pay for this for there more than 450 clubs/classes.....

and the VCDD shut down all classes for everyone...

I am sure that the powers to be will come up with something to appease the ADA issues.....I truly enjoyed the LLC class I took.

Last edited by kstew43; 12-02-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Goverment of Villages

I have mentioned a few times that it is apparent the Villages is not under Democratic Rules and as thus is open to a number of abuses. I am not sure if this latest problem is the result of one of the potential abuses or just a violation of ADA Laws? A good starting point is that the main officer of the Villages is essentially an appointment by the Developer, (e.g. Ms Tutt). She controls major decisions in The Villages and governs without resident authority. There are a series of District groups who are to advise the Manager but they are essentially an arm of the Developer. I am not asserting all is bad nor Ms Tutt is not a qualified person. I am asserting that it may be that more oversight and control should be passed to the residents?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
It was an opportunity for some law firm with visions of a deep pocket law suit. The real shame is 200 people are going to lose their jobs.
It's interesting that the lawsuit was filed eight years ago when a new administration took over the White House. My experience is that the Feds are always involved in ADA litigation. They are very difficult to deal with to get approval for reasonable accommodation issues.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

this is a real shame. what a horrible world
Old 12-02-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We are a CDD. I believe that is an excellent thing. We are not self governed and that is fine with me. Hmmm
Totally agree!
Closed Thread

Tags
center, learning, lifelong

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.