Lifelong Learning College

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Default Lifelong Learning College

Does anyone know who to contact regarding a refund for a class I paid for? Still haven't received it and the email address I used was returned undeliverable.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 PM

My wife was able to get a refund through the Accounting Dept. at the Charter school. If you paid by credit card you might want to check to see if they already refunded the fee. We had one fee that was refunded to our card and didn't realize it.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimom View Post
Does anyone know who to contact regarding a refund for a class I paid for? Still haven't received it and the email address I used was returned undeliverable.
If you paid by credit card and can't get any satisfaction regarding being reimbursed, get in touch with your credit card company and file a dispute.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM

I still can't believe one person complaining managed to lead to the entire LLLC being shut down.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Sage

It was more than one person and there is a lawsuit involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
I still can't believe one person complaining managed to lead to the entire LLLC being shut down.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
It was more than one person and there is a lawsuit involved.
People who know how to sue. AND The ADA used unfairly. That is my opinion.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
No it was not one person but 34 plaintiffs. Some dropped out, leaving 30 left to win on liability but only 21 won compensatory damages.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
No it was not one person but 34 plaintiffs. Some dropped out, leaving 30 left to win on liability but only 21 won compensatory damages.
And you live in a multigenerational community, not here, are deaf, a lawyer, and that is why you are interested? You are younger than most villagers? Just trying to understand because you have posted many times about an issue that apparently does not affect you directly? Just wondering?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM

"If you are trying to contact TVLLC in regards to a refund, please call The Villages Charter School Accounting Department at (352) 259-6808."
From: http://www.campusce.net/thevillages/.../category.aspx
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, residents are still very upset about the LLC closing, even though it may eventually reopen.
Not just one person complaining --- you can read 924 posts on the thread "Lifelong Learning Center".
Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
And you live in a multigenerational community, not here, are deaf, a lawyer, and that is why you are interested? You are younger than most villagers? Just trying to understand because you have posted many times about an issue that apparently does not affect you directly? Just wondering?
Yes I live in a multigenerational community and yes I am deaf -profoundly deaf since birth. No I am not a lawyer but a retired paralegal now working on local disability rights cases. So I am using this TV case as a learning tool in order to be a more effective (and facilitative) advocate not just for the deaf but for others as well.

Yes I do personally know some of the plaintiffs, but no I am not at all involved in any part of the case.

I do confess though that after living in Florida two times, I am no fan of Florida and senior citizen communities.

It does seem that I am have been posting a lot lately. It is only because I did not learn about these forums until recently when I stumbled across the case during my research and when a friend of mine in Melbourne told me about the case. So this case can and may have ramifications throughout the country.

In case you're wondering which side of the fence I am on, I am on top of the fence. It is my opinion that both sides blew it.

Last edited by EPutnam1863; 03-20-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Yes I live in a multigenerational community and yes I am deaf -profoundly deaf since birth. No I am not a lawyer but a retired paralegal now working on local disability rights cases. So I am using this TV case as a learning tool in order to be a more effective (and facilitative) advocate not just for the deaf but for others as well.

Yes I do personally know some of the plaintiffs, but no I am not at all involved in any part of the case.

I do confess though that after living in Florida two times, I am no fan of Florida and senior citizen communities.

It does seem that I am have been posting a lot lately. It is only because I did not learn about these forums until recently when I stumbled across the case during my research and when a friend of mine in Melbourne told me about the case. So this case can and may have ramifications throughout the country.

In case you're wondering which side of the fence I am on, I am on top of the fence. It is my opinion that both sides blew it.
Get real. You aren't on top of any fence. What happened to my questions for you? You know, when I asked you about your use of what I regarded as pejorative terms like deafies, hearies and mentally retarded? Why did your posts and my questions disappear?

Since you really have no appreciation of what The Villages is, I would have thought you might have grasped the extent of the damage and ill will generated by this action through your reading. I am amazed that you perceive yourself as neutral here.

Moreover, this action and any resulting actions will not (IMO) lead to any constructive outcomes. People have been forced into positions as adversaries. Sure, there will be some people who are sympathetic to the plaintiffs. On the other hand, if all of this had been handled differently, I sincerely believe the vast majority would have been supportive. I no longer think this is possible. How many people lost as a result of what has happened? Who didn't get to take a class? Who didn't get to teach a class? How does that number compare with 34 or 21? This was not the way to handle what happened here. That is the lesson I hope you have learned as well.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
Get real. You aren't on top of any fence. What happened to my questions for you? You know, when I asked you about your use of what I regarded as pejorative terms like deafies, hearies and mentally retarded? Why did your posts and my questions disappear?

Since you really have no appreciation of what The Villages is, I would have thought you might have grasped the extent of the damage and ill will generated by this action through your reading. I am amazed that you perceive yourself as neutral here.

Moreover, this action and any resulting actions will not (IMO) lead to any constructive outcomes. People have been forced into positions as adversaries. Sure, there will be some people who are sympathetic to the plaintiffs. On the other hand, if all of this had been handled differently, I sincerely believe the vast majority would have been supportive. I no longer think this is possible. How many people lost as a result of what has happened? Who didn't get to take a class? Who didn't get to teach a class? How does that number compare with 34 or 21? This was not the way to handle what happened here. That is the lesson I hope you have learned as well.
Well stated.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

First of all, I am not involved in any of this. I was not aware until late in December when I heard LLC was being shut down, and a friend in Melbourne emailed me, asking me what was going on. If I were living in TV, I would have known about this right from the beginning, and it is my regret that any of this had to happen. I am putting my modesty aside; I believe I could have prevented the LLC from being closed. But this is in the past, and I am hoping that LLC will truly provide interpreters so this will soon be forgotten.

The terms deafies and hearies are not meant to be derogatory but are used as shorthand for "the deaf people" and "the hearing people"and are commonly used even by the hearing who are acquainted with the deaf, and I am sorry you choose to be hypersensitive when you are not even deaf.

Are there any more questions you say I have not answered?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:

You said what a lot of us have been thinking. Thanks

Tags
received, returned, undeliverable, email, address

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.