The Lifelong Learning College may be saved afterall!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

As of now (February 20, 2017 at 1:26), the jury in the LLC case is now in deliberations. I pity the jury because there are 30 plaintiffs and four elements.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Actually I should not have said "LLLC case" in my previous posting. What I should have said "Damages." I believe this is what this trial is all about...to assess damages if any. The plaintiffs are seeking compensatory damages, punitive damages, injunctive relief, and attorney's fees. After reading all the available documents, it is my opinion that none of the plaintiffs should be awarded any damages because it is clear that they did not care enough to pursue the issue without taking it to court.. But the jury may likely want to sweeten the deal for them by awarding at least the attorney's fees.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Back to the subject, The LLC. According to testimony cited in the Ocala District Court order, the LLC was self-sustaining and even paid minimal rental for room use to the Charter School from course fees. LLC argued that having to pay for interpreters would drive course fees so high that enrollment would fall and the LLC would fail. Maybe the District, which is subject to the ADA, will try to spread the cost of interpreters over all the courses offered so that the burden is less for each course, but still low enough to attract enrollment.
I am not sure of interpreting costs in that area, so I can make only an educated guess based on my own experiences with such services. Let's assume interpreting services would cost $100 per hour with a minimum of two hours. Some of the classes last 4-12 weeks, so let's assume just one deaf student registers for a 6-week class. This would cost $1200 plus expenses for each of the two interpreters. This is for just one student. Even if the deaf student drops out, the interpreters and their expenses (gas, mileage) will continue to be paid to the end of the contract.

And what if there are not enough interpreters?

DNS and CART are the ways to go. With much improved technology these days, the deafies need to learn how to work with these devices which will then free them up and make them not so dependent on human interpreters.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The LLC should be self supporting and not be subsidies by our amenities. People invite a pandora's box by such suggestions and my concern that amenity fees already climbing will go out of control.

If a resident has a burning desire to learn something new I applaud that effort but that resident should bear the cost not the community. The LLC found it difficult to continue financially closing the school down. This is a nice gesture but a suggestion that will move us in the wrong direction.
I doubt very much that the wheelchair-bound residents had to pay for the ramps. ADA applies to ALL who qualify as disabled or having disabilities and not being able to function as one without disabilities does.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

I agree that the LLC should be self supporting and non-profit. The cost to comply with the ADA requirements should be built into the cost of the classes. The original LLC was open to all including those outside The Villages. I have not seen if this will be the case with the new LLC. Will the fee structure be such that non villagers pay more? (They should).
Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

LLLC would not have to comply with ADA requirements if it received no public funds and its classes were not held in a building funded (in whole or part) by public funds. What this means is that they would not even have to provide ramps nor elevators nor bathroom stalls for the physically disabled as long as they are private, meaning not open to the general public.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

See Deaf win right to interpreters from The Villages - Orlando Sentinel
Old 02-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
1. The Orlando Sentinel, or its writer is no fan of The Villages. They cannot be trusted to offer an unbiased review. They are correct the jury made an award.

2. Please read the lawsuit before making comments. The LLLC did not receive public funds or private funds. The LLLC was self funded. They paid rent to The Charter School to use their facilities. The LLLC did state in the deposition that the cost of obtaining interpeters would be cost prohibitive. Apparently the jury disagreed. The case is not over until the decision to appeal the decision is made.

3. Since the LLLC was self funded, they made the decision to close the doors rather than to take on the cost of providing interperters and passing the cost to the students.

Last edited by Mleeja; 03-01-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
1. The Orlando Sentinel, or its write is no fan of The Villages. They cannot be trusted to offer an unbiased review. They are correct the jury made an award.

2. Please read the lawsuit before making comments. The LLLC did not receive public funds or private funds. The LLLC was self funded. They paid rent to The Charter School to use their facilities. The LLLC did state in the deposition that the cost of obtaining interpeters would be cost prohibitive. Apparently the jury disagreed. The case is not over until the decision to appeal the decision is made.

3. Since the LLLC was self funded, they made the decision to close the doors rather than to take on the cost of providing interperters and passing the cost to the students.
I noticed several errors in the Sentinel article. Not all the plaintiffs were awarded. Louis is not a lawyer.

Janet Tutt did say LLLC may reopen this fall and that it would be in compliance with ADA.
Closed Thread

Tags
district, lifelong, learning, college, classes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.