Lightning caused house fires

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Default Lightning caused house fires

Just curious. Is there any reliable data on what percentage of homes that suffered damage from fires caused by a lightning strikes had lightning rods installed?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Probably just a few but no doubt many homes have experienced electrical outages and damage to electronics and appliances from nearby lightning strikes.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-17-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMIJFI View Post
Just curious. Is there any reliable data on what percentage of homes that suffered damage from fires caused by a lightning strikes had lightning rods installed?
Couldn't find statistics but this presentation by the Villages Computer Club stated " it has been empirically
proven that a lightning protection system installed in
full conformance to
NFPA
-
requirements
DOES
prevent damage to structures."
Old 08-17-2015, 01:03 PM

Seeing firsthand a fire from lightening a few months back, even if it decreases the odds of fire exponentially, it's a good thing to have.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	11698583_10153395567551063_6787152283488436140_n.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	54186  
Old 08-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Sage

To me, it's more of a peace of mind thing to me. I feel better knowing I did all I could to prevent damage than to wonder what might have been.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMIJFI View Post
Last Saturday night a home in Miona Shores was stuck and the ensuing fire caused it to be uninhabitable. This is the fourth home this year and the seventh in the last 15 months that has received extensive damage due to a direct lightning strike. None had a lightning protection system (LPS) commonly called lightning rods. We have reports now from 14 homeowners with a LPS who have been struck without any structural damage or fire. To learn about LPS and related lightning issues consider enrolling in the Lifelong Learning College class,, Lightning Tips for Villagers, on August 27th or October 1st.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Sage

Anyone living in the "Lightning capital of the world" is remiss not to have a lightning protection system.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

One question from an owner of a house south of 466A with no gas lines in the attic, have any of the new houses with no gas to the house had fires caused by lightning?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
One question from an owner of a house south of 466A with no gas lines in the attic, have any of the new houses with no gas to the house had fires caused by lightning?
The gas lines are not causing the fires. That would likely cause an explosion!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

There was a Premiere with a 5 car garage near me in Pinellas last Sept?? that was totaled by a lightning caused fire. No one hurt but the house had to be rebuilt.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2015, 12:08 PM

CSST is not able to withstand the electrical charge dissipated by lightning strikes due to its corrugated design and thin walls, according to reports. As a result, in the event that CSST becomes energized due to a direct or indirect lightning strike, the current will “arc” or jump across a gap to a less resistant pathway, such as nearby metal piping, in an attempt to reach the ground. Although the arc will only last a fraction of a second, it has been alleged that the temperature of the event is hot enough to melt and penetrate the thin walls of the CSST. If the gas line melts or is punctured, the gas inside can escape and cause a fire.

Our attorneys believe that the thin walls of CSST put properties at risk for fire-related damage. It is estimated that the walls of CSST measure at a mere .011 inches, 10 times thinner than the walls of traditional black iron pipes. It has been alleged that unlike CSST, the walls of traditional black iron pipes are generally thick enough to withstand the energy produced during a lightning strike. CSST was developed in the early 1980s in Japan and was introduced into the U.S. market as an easier-to-install alternative to black iron pipes in the 1990s.

- See more at: CSST Lawsuits | CSST Lightning Fires and Failures | Morgan & Morgan
Old 08-18-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Of the seven homes struck by lightning in the last 15 months 4 had gas and 3 were all electric homes. Lightning is random and unpredictable.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Of the seven homes struck by lightning in the last 15 months 4 had gas and 3 were all electric homes. Lightning is random and unpredictable.

Thanks for that information.

Would a fire suppression system be a better investment than a lightning protection system? Could a direct hit still start a fire with lightning protection installed?
Old 08-19-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that information.

Would a fire suppression system be a better investment than a lightning protection system? Could a direct hit still start a fire with lightning protection installed?
Theoretically it would be possible to install an automatic fire sprinkler system throughout the home and the attic space. I don't know of cases where it has been done. It would be very expensive. If your concern is with lightning then you may wish to consider a lightning protection system that shuts a direct lightning strike directly to ground without starting a fire.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Update on my experience with lightning rods. Shortly after we moved here 13 years ago the lightning started to freak me out. Stupidly a guy in a truck came around saying he had been installing lighting rods on some of our neighbors homes. Back then there weren't all these resources to find out more into and I was so paranoid, we said ok and had it done for $600. Since then with all these threads on it here and on Facebook I started questioning what we had done. Figuring it probably wasn't to code so today we had A1 Lightning protection come out and check it out. Yep not to code and actually dangerous they way it was done. (I have the gas lines in the attic) We called Triangle which people here have mentioned and I was pout off by the fact they would not come out and talk to us to check our system without charging us $150 to do so! They gave us a quote over trephine no even telling us what exactly they would do! A1 Lightning Protection came out at NO charge and inspected everything. Their quote to put in a new copper system including my birdcage and do proper grounding of everything $1550 less than what Triangle quoted on the phone. A1 said they could bring our current system up to code for $800 but we feel it's worth the extra money to go copper all the way (except for the birdcage which cannot be copper.) Just thought I would let everyone know in case your considering the rods.
Closed Thread

Tags
lightning, fires, caused, damage, suffered, strikes, installed, rods, homes, curious, house, percentage, data, reliable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.