Living in the Village of Pine Ridge

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Gold member

the taxes may not be double...but you do have a higher millage rate than Sumter and the added fruitland park extras.

the dump is south of pineridge. can't see it...but you can smell it...sometimes.

The thing that bothered us when we looked at the Pineridge courtyard villas was the noise from 44 and the huge smell of the BBQ place across the street. It was smokey and smelly...good for a moment... but when it lasts all day it gets obnoxious.

But this, like the dump is a wind changing thing. Sometimes worse than others, or so I am told.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
My brother is buying in Pine Ridge. The taxes ARE NOT double. Let's share fact, not rumor.

Look up the mil rate for both Lake County and the City of Fruitland Park. Both of these together are double the mil rate of Sumter County. I've checked my facts.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
the taxes may not be double...but you do have a higher millage rate than Sumter and the added fruitland park extras.

the dump is south of pineridge. can't see it...but you can smell it...sometimes.

The thing that bothered us when we looked at the Pineridge courtyard villas was the noise from 44 and the huge smell of the BBQ place across the street. It was smokey and smelly...good for a moment... but when it lasts all day it gets obnoxious.

But this, like the dump is a wind changing thing. Sometimes worse than others, or so I am told.
Thanks for posting that info. Assuming we can sell our house in Virginia, we will be looking for a house in TV this summer, and posts like yours are very helpful.

In general, do you think it is a good idea to avoid houses that are on the edge of the development? You never can tell what will be built on the land in the future.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Sage

I think you really need to know what you enjoy doing based on what you have always enjoyed and also a little hoping of what you might enjoy. You also need to know what your budget and comfort zone is. You need to know if you will have guests frequently and how wealthy your guests might be. Wealthy relatives may prefer to sleep in their own rented space or nice hotel so why shop for a 3 or 4 bedroom place that will be filled up 2 days a year. If that's the case, spend your money on a view you will enjoy everyday.

Tell us what you enjoy doing.
[Here's a thought: many people who move close to a square get bored with it after a while.]
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The dump/landfill noted above in reality is a construction debris landfill.
Yes, sometimes odor. As noted on another thread this may be coming from wet drywall.
Just providing clarity to the term "dump".
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The dump/landfill noted above in reality is a construction debris landfill.
Yes, sometimes odor. As noted on another thread this may be coming from wet drywall.
Just providing clarity to the term "dump".
Before it was a construction debri landfill it was a municipal dump.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Thanks for posting that info. Assuming we can sell our house in Virginia, we will be looking for a house in TV this summer, and posts like yours are very helpful.

In general, do you think it is a good idea to avoid houses that are on the edge of the development? You never can tell what will be built on the land in the future.
Like everything else, lifes a gamble...if its not the smell its the sink holes. If not any of those its the barking dogs or the rude neighbors. you just cant always win.

Find a street you like,then a home you like, and talk to the neighbors, and then you will know if its worth the risk to you. you can always change the colors or the yard, but never the location.

As far as growth...you can buy a beautiful lot, thats looks at the pastures and the owner can sell to a grocery store or whatever. you can buy on a retention pond, filled and beautiful today and empty the next....you just never know. at least if you buy a resale, you know whats around the corner.

good luck.....we are looking too...
Old 02-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
Like everything else, lifes a gamble...if its not the smell its the sink holes. If not any of those its the barking dogs or the rude neighbors. you just cant always win.

Find a street you like,then a home you like, and talk to the neighbors, and then you will know if its worth the risk to you. you can always change the colors or the yard, but never the location.

As far as growth...you can buy a beautiful lot, thats looks at the pastures and the owner can sell to a grocery store or whatever. you can buy on a retention pond, filled and beautiful today and empty the next....you just never know. at least if you buy a resale, you know whats around the corner.

good luck.....we are looking too...

Let's not forget to check the sexual predator list. Plenty of them around the Villages.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Don't be in a rush. Take your time. Maybe rent for a while.

Get a Villages sales rep AND an MLS Realtor. The MLS Realtors cannot sell the new homes in TV, nor can they sell the pre-owned homes listed with TV. TV does not share the action with the MLS........

But do not limit yourself. The MLS has many lovely pre-owned homes for sale. And many of those homes have lots of upgrades added.

When you go into a neighborhood that is under construction, there are a couple of things that you might need to accept. One is how you feel about being surrounded by construction for a while. Lots of dust and empty space. But I guess it moves along -- though our recent ride through Pine Ridge looked like there is quite a way to go. -- But TV can move fast. The other thing is that in the newer neighborhoods you might find yourself on a street where people have bought their homes before they have retired and plan to rent them for a while. If you will be here full time and want year-round neighbors, you might want to find out how established the street is.

We bought pre-owned and we have wonderful neighbors who welcomed us into their established neighborhood. I think the good neighbors thing is mostly the luck of the draw, whether you buy new or pre-owned. But you can drive through an established neighborhood and get a better feel for things than you can when driving through a neighborhood under construction.

I wish you the best, no matter where you choose to buy. And may I suggest that you not allow yourself to be catapulted into a sense of urgency to buy. There will always be another house in TV.

.....PS: Whoops. You asked for the time and I built you a clock......Paragraph 4 applies to your actual question. I just got carried away and had to throw in all that do-not-limit-your-options stuff. Oh well, no extra charge.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-02-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:34 PM

There is an advantage to being in a new village. Everyone is looking to make friends so it's easier to get into golf, or other groups. In a established village in may be harder to break into established groups.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce213 View Post
There is an advantage to being in a new village. Everyone is looking to make friends so it's easier to get into golf, or other groups. In a established village in may be harder to break into established groups.
Just don't forget:
Let's not forget to check the sexual predator list. Plenty of them around the Villages.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Just don't forget:

Have a nice day.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1454497581-749709-jpg

Just a few.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

imageuploadedbytapatalk1454497789-419227-jpg

Although better then the surrounding areas.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Sage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Attachment 57526

Although better then the surrounding areas.
It is quite an eye opener for someone as naive as me.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

We have done a lot of research these past few days and spoken to quite a few people in the area of Labelle, and the new Pine Ridge Villas. We also went up the hill and spoke with the people working at the "dump" and had a peek at what's around there. The people at the dump were very welcoming and had nothing to hide. They were happy we came and asked them and said they are tired of the complaints about the smell. Remember, they butt right up to the golf courses there and they confirmed a lot of the smell comes from the courses. It's what they spray to fertilize and even the water. I've smelled it myself from the golf courses and retention ponds near where I live in Gilchrist...nowhere near the "dump". I have friends that live in Sanibel on the golf course, and they get the same smell...from the golf course. The gentleman we spoke with at the dump said he had been there for 10 years working in the trailer there. Our thoughts were, he had nothing to gain by being truthful with us. He does not own the dump, simply works there. Anyway, the villa is lovely, the tax rate is NOT double, albeit it IS more than ours, everyone I have met in the area is very kind and nice, and my brother has decided to go ahead with the deal. Prospective buyers: keep in mind...you get a lot of "opinion" here. Come down and do your own research, talk to the neighbors where you're looking, and make your own decisions. While it's good to gather info here, be careful the source.
Closed Thread

Tags
ridge, county, pine, happy, lake, helpbigapplause, sumter, villages, retiring, village, months, thoughts, ideas, living

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.