Looking for a painter of pictures

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Looking for a painter of pictures

I have an old black an white photograph that I'd like to blow up to poster size, maybe 30X40 or so. The trouble is the resolution is so bad, that if I were to blow it up, it would be a blur.

I'm wondering if there is an amateur painter around here that would be willing to copy if for a reasonable fee. I can't afford thousands of dollars but I'm not looking for someone to do it for nothing either.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Eternal Member

I recently was at an art auction in Orlando. Peter Max was there. One of the auction items was to have Max take a photograph from you - say a family portrait - and he would paint an original oil from it - about the same size as you asked about.

The winning bid was $16,700 by a young couple. They asked if they could put it off for 6 months as the woman was expecting their baby at that time. (From the way Peter Max looked, they are pushing their luck!)

Ah, it must be nice to have that kind of money while young.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I have an old black an white photograph that I'd like to blow up to poster size, maybe 30X40 or so. The trouble is the resolution is so bad, that if I were to blow it up, it would be a blur.

I'm wondering if there is an amateur painter around here that would be willing to copy if for a reasonable fee. I can't afford thousands of dollars but I'm not looking for someone to do it for nothing either.
This is a long shot but lay the photo down on the table and take a picture of the picture, then crop it and try to enlarge it. Maybe that way the darks will be darker and it might work. I just tried this with a photo and it worked for me. If you take the photo and don't know how to enlarge it to the correct size, send it to my email and I will try to resize it for you. jnieman@aol.com
Old 08-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Please PM me. I might know someone.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
This is a long shot but lay the photo down on the table and take a picture of the picture, then crop it and try to enlarge it. Maybe that way the darks will be darker and it might work. I just tried this with a photo and it worked for me. If you take the photo and don't know how to enlarge it to the correct size, send it to my email and I will try to resize it for you. jnieman@aol.com
Actually, I only have a digital image. Thanks.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Please PM me. I might know someone.
Hi,

Thanks can you give me a name and phone number or would you prefer that you give the artist my information?

Jim

Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Actually, I only have a digital image. Thanks.
If you'd like, send me the image to my e-mail jnieman@aol.com. I'll print it out and see what I can do. No charge.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Anyone with painter software can do it. Scan a photo of the pic to the computer. Open it in painter. Resize it to a size you like (a size that will fit on a canvas). Take software brushes and paint (easy). Save it as a copy in case you mess up. Email the bigger photo painting to one of the "put your photo on canvas" sites (get a ready to hang on wall format). It's not expensive. It will be delivered to your door. For an extra painted look, when it arrives, pick white or one color and sparingly add some raised paint. It will look fantastic! In my old life, I used to do some wedding photos this way.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Call Gracie

She is a marvelous artist

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

Tags
blow, painter, copy, amateur, dollars, fee, afford, thousands, reasonable, poster, pictures, photograph, black, white, size, bad, blur, resolution, trouble, 30x40, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.