Loud exhaust explanation...

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBagger View Post
No doubt you've never had the experience of nearly being run over by a villages who can't see the motorcycle, can't hear the motorcycle, or just doesn't care about the motorcyclists well being. Weather you agree or not, loud pipes save lives!

I've had motorcycles and it don't matter, people just don't look or care what's coming unless it got bulldog on top of the radiator and MAC on the grill. When I ride I automatically assume Cars will pull out In front of me and ready to clamp the brakes.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Motorcyclists seem to get the most resentment from people. Could be a little bit of envy from the people who want to ride but are afraid to ride because of the inherent danger. Maybe they had an unpleasant encounter one time with a biker. Maybe it's just because the biker isn't living their life the way the complainers think they should. Why would a loud exhaust on a car be any less annoying to someone? Manufacturers are now selling new cars with electric operated valves that open the exhaust before the mufflers. Mercedes is doing this with some of their performance models, I believe. Maserati has an exhaust system that completely changes volume and tone during acceleration. It sounds pretty good. But motorcycles get the brunt of the hate for exhausts.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

There are those that would complain if you hand them a bag full of 20 dollar bills. Just a way of life for some folks. You need to ignore those people you will never satisfy them. Just remember life is short, Live it.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Motorcyclists seem to get the most resentment from people. Could be a little bit of envy from the people who want to ride but are afraid to ride because of the inherent danger. Maybe they had an unpleasant encounter one time with a biker. Maybe it's just because the biker isn't living their life the way the complainers think they should. Why would a loud exhaust on a car be any less annoying to someone? Manufacturers are now selling new cars with electric operated valves that open the exhaust before the mufflers. Mercedes is doing this with some of their performance models, I believe. Maserati has an exhaust system that completely changes volume and tone during acceleration. It sounds pretty good. But motorcycles get the brunt of the hate for exhausts.

I've been riding 49 years and I was a MSF Rider Coach. I totally agree with you.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
My dream car-----a '50 Ford custom conv flathead V-8 with steelpaks. Doesn't get any better than that....sigh.....someday.
This should be a fun watch:

https://youtu.be/f_aRCS-AVG0
Old 09-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Gold member
Default Lol...resentment? really? Envy? are you on drugs?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with most bikers...there are those who think as you do though...they think they're special in some weird way because they ride a motorcycle... how immature can a person possibly be? The complaint is that some bikers with loud bikes think they're a cut above everyone else, when in fact their just immature Aholes who think it's okay to subject anyone and everyone to their idea of how life should be...that would be loud and obnoxious...since you obviously don't understand physics it begs the question of how intelligent bikers who think their loud exhaust saves lives...why not just opt for a really loud horn...oh yeah...then they wouldn't be able to show how little they think of people around them and the fact that their noise shows little or no concern for others.

Bottom line....loud exhausts not only do not save lives the Aholes that use them are just a bit below average on the intelligence scale when it comes to common sense and treating others with the same respect they themselves seem to demand...

Buy a loud horn...oh sorry that wouldn't be manly and show the outlaw morality would it?
Old 09-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Gold member

Very funny video Fred. Where do you live? We can arrange a parade one night if you like.
Don't worry no drugs. LOL
Old 09-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Sage

OK, moving over to car exhaust pipes:

https://youtu.be/X5D1ToZ6igs
Old 09-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Callaway Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Man, a 10 second quarter mile from an SS396. That's drag strip only time. Fastest street car in the day was the '70 Hemi Cuda in the low 13's. It's amazing how the muscle cars now are faster than the ones we grew up with. I thought 1972 was the end.
It wasn't stock, to say the least. I pretty much had all excess weight stripped out of it but, it was still street legal - barely. Pretty much every Sunday I had it out at the local drag strip running anything I could.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Guy View Post
It wasn't stock, to say the least. I pretty much had all excess weight stripped out of it but, it was still street legal - barely. Pretty much every Sunday I had it out at the local drag strip running anything I could.

That must have been so sweet. Nickey Chevrolet in Chicago used to sell modified cars like yours. They called them radio/heater deletes. Of course, it was much more than that. The heavy disc brakes were replaced with drums, and window track mechanisms were removed. Headers, a Mallory ignition, Muncie 4 speed, and a heavy duty clutch were part of the package. They specialized in Chevelles and Camaros. Crazy times.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Gold member

Seems a shame to let it fall to far...so I'll bump it back up...while it's highly unlikely that the so-called dudes who name themselves "cowboys" or "outlaws" because they ride a harley with very loud exhausts will ever understand or care of the harm they do there's always hope that they'll grow up and out of their selfish need to crave attention by doing so...they liken themselves as rogues and special...they like to think those who don't like their noise are just jealous and want to be just like them, but are afraid...unfortunately those delusions will likely continue until adults force them to change....I'll likely be dead by then from old age, but one can hope...
Old 09-02-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Exactly my feelings. Ah, my youthful days with my '66 Chevelle SS396. That was one badass car; best quarter-mile time was 10.75. I wish I still had it.
That was not a stock 396! Hey they are still out there and available...buy one before the gov't takes your money!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
There is just something about a mid 60's muscle car (in my case a fastback mustang) with a nice new engine, headers, dual 2.5 inch stainless steel exhaust, and minimal restriction mufflers.
Just my humble opinion.
It is a great opinion my neighbor and friend! Just had a Stainless Works 3" put on the '68 Yenko Camaro replica. Also had electronic cutouts welded into them about 18" past the header collectors. Will talk to you about it when we get down.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Seems a shame to let it fall to far...so I'll bump it back up...while it's highly unlikely that the so-called dudes who name themselves "cowboys" or "outlaws" because they ride a harley with very loud exhausts will ever understand or care of the harm they do there's always hope that they'll grow up and out of their selfish need to crave attention by doing so...they liken themselves as rogues and special...they like to think those who don't like their noise are just jealous and want to be just like them, but are afraid...unfortunately those delusions will likely continue until adults force them to change....I'll likely be dead by then from old age, but one can hope...
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have one of the quietest aftermarket exhausts one can buy; Supertrapp 2 into 1. Good performance. I am a kinder, gentler Harley driver. ATGATT
Old 09-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

My son changed his Harley so that it is loud...no idea what that process is. When I asked him why he told me that it was for his safety. It is bad enough that car and truck drivers don't always "see" bikers. He has been close to getting hit several times and none were his fault. For many bikers being loud is just another way they have of staying alive. Do I like those loud bikes? No! But I would much rather my son stay safe on highways that are riddled with seniors who have poor eyesight and severe loss of hearing.

Tags
loud, villages, exhausts, explanation, exhaust

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.