Stop sign question

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Default Stop sign question

I was taught when turning left that I needed to yield to traffic coming from the opposing direction. This was true even if I had to wait for several cars to cross the road. It seems some people confuse an intersection with a two way stop with a four way stop intersection. I have been honked at, yelled at, and flipped off for not allowing someone to turn left in front of me. Are the laws different in the states where these people are coming from or have traffic laws changed? Please don't yell at, honk at, or flip me off. I simply want to obey the law.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 PM

I believe you're supposed to take turns.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Sage

If you do not have a stop sign, you are not supposed to yield to someone who does have a stop sign. Is that what you were asking, Dynasty, or have I misunderstood your question?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
I was taught when turning left that I needed to yield to traffic coming from the opposing direction. This was true even if I had to wait for several cars to cross the road. It seems some people confuse an intersection with a two way stop with a four way stop intersection. I have been honked at, yelled at, and flipped off for not allowing someone to turn left in front of me. Are the laws different in the states where these people are coming from or have traffic laws changed? Please don't yell at, honk at, or flip me off. I simply want to obey the law.
Your question is confusing... Are you turning left in front of somebody or is somebody turning left in front of you?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
If it's a 2-way stop (stop signs for you and traffic coming at you) and the cross-traffic does not have stop signs, then I've always gone by the "whoever got to their stop sign first has the right-of-way", regardless of who is turning or not turning. Of course cross-traffic (no stop signs for them) has the constant right-of-way over both you and your opposing traffic.

But I've found that not everybody else sees it that way. Proceed with caution!

Bill
Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
The following is taken directly from the Florida Drivers Handbook:

An open intersection is one without traffic control signs or signals. When you enter one, you must yield the right-of-way if:
  • A vehicle is already in the intersection.
  • You enter or cross a state highway from a secondary road.
  • You enter a paved road from an unpaved road.
  • You plan to make a left turn and a vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction.
When two cars enter an open intersection at the same time, the driver on the left must yield to the driver on the right.
Unless I'm misreading what you've asked, what I've highlighted answers your question, and those that yell, honk and flip-it need to go to a drivers safety course, read the drivers manual and/or take anger management classes. If I'm not reading it right, go to the following ref. and see if you can find an answer there.

Ref: http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool....driver/en/5/14
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 PM

I'll try to clarify my question. It would be easier with a diagram. East and west traffic does not have a stop sign. North and south traffic both have stop signs. After east west traffic clears does northbound and southbound traffic take turns as with a four way stop OR does a northbound or southbound vehicle wishing to turn left wait until all opposing straight bound traffic clears? I was taught the latter.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'll try to clarify my question. It would be easier with a diagram. East and west traffic does not have a stop sign. North and south traffic both have stop signs. After east west traffic clears does northbound and southbound traffic take turns as with a four way stop OR does a northbound or southbound vehicle wishing to turn left wait until all opposing straight bound traffic clears? I was taught the latter.
That's what I thought you were talking about in your initial post - thanks for the clarification.

I'll still stand by my earlier post: "First come, first served" when it comes to northbound and southbound traffic (in your example). Whoever got to their stop sign first will have the right-of-way (all east and west traffic has cleared). Doesn't matter whether either is turning or going straight.

Bill
Old 05-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Hmmmmm..... I think the vehicle going straight would always have the right of way. I always yield to the car going straight, but I also go at the same time. As soon as they are clear of my intended turn lane, I complete the turn. Might not be the absolute "right" way, but that's what I do. I pretty much do the same thing at a 4 way stop.

I've been flipped off so many times by other drivers, I think I'm driving too defensively if I don't get the finger a couple times a week.

This thread is the very reason I love the roundabouts!

Just saying.....
Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Sage

Temporary thread hijack:

Hey Mike - Your peace sign avatar is upside down...............and it's making me dizzy looking at it!

Hijack over.

Bill
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 PM

Dynasty, what you were taught is exactly what I was taught in OH, although many, many years ago. What Skyguy79 quoted from the FL Drivers Handbook seems to support that. I've also noticed that more often than not, (Fl and OH) drivers seem to act like intersections with 2 stop signs are no different than 4 way stops. I was beginning to think the laws had changed also. Glad to see what the FL handbook says. I'm going to have to check out what the OH law is now.
Terri
Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
This is what I was taught both in MI and MD....though the MI teaching took place back in the dark ages.....when you are at a stop sign and when someone else is also at a stop sign it is first come first serve. No stop sign always has right of way and when no stop sign straight through always has right of way...I'm guessing this explanation is clear as mud. Of course living in Metro DC area no one pays any attention to traffic laws anyway...it's survival of the gutsiest! Driver beware etc....I've seen people turn right across two lanes of traffic when they are in the third (middle) lane on a six lane road....
Old 05-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnterri View Post
Dynasty, what you were taught is exactly what I was taught in OH, although many, many years ago. What Skyguy79 quoted from the FL Drivers Handbook seems to support that. I've also noticed that more often than not, (Fl and OH) drivers seem to act like intersections with 2 stop signs are no different than 4 way stops. I was beginning to think the laws had changed also. Glad to see what the FL handbook says. I'm going to have to check out what the OH law is now.
Terri
You're right! What the handbook specfically says is that the first vehicle to stop at the stop sign has the right of way. It also indicates that if both vehicles stop at the same time, the vehicle going straight has right of way over a vehicle turning left.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Temporary thread hijack:

Hey Mike - Your peace sign avatar is upside down...............and it's making me dizzy looking at it!

Hijack over.

Bill

Sorry.... my bad!

Your eyes are getting very heavy . . .
Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Believe it's appropriate to alternate in the circumstances you describe. However, you must remember you are in The Villages where a large number of drivers seem to be oblivious to the rules of the road or simply prefer to make their own rules as they go. Now, as for the going straight or turning left issue, again you are in The Villages where a vast majority of Cars appear to have been purchased without turn signals. The few that do have them often signal left and turn right or the reverse. Then of course there are those who lull you into complacency by signaling to turn and then go straight.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.