In master bath, how important is...

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Veteran member
Default In master bath, how important is...

We just bought a home and are remodelling the master bath. I need a tub, so I'm adding a soaking tub. After a day of pickleball, golf and dancing I love to calm my sore muscles with a soak.

I'd like a walk in shower, so that is happening too. Eventually this may turn into a rental, so I want to make it comfortable for the masses.

So, in general, how much do you love double sinks in a master? Or how about a water closet (separate room for the toilet)? Is that a must?
Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Eternal Member

When we built our house, the vanity was L shaped, very long with 2 sinks. There was also a separate room for the toilet. I took out the short end of the vanity with one of the sinks in the corner. I moved moved the toilet out of the separate room and put it where the one sink was. I then expanded the the toilet room out another 18 inches and gave my hubby his own closet. One sink is enough for me to clean. Works great.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Sage

You'll need another bath after you're finished cleaning your oversized bath & the standard 40 gal water heater will just about be out of hot water after you fill a large tub.

Our house in NC had a Jacuzzi , used it once.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Default soaking tub

I agree that a tub is a must, BUT beware the giant soaking (garden) tub such as we got with our previously owned home. You may not always be as spry as you are now. I am short (5'2") and cannot reach to the opposite side without launching myself across the tub, which makes getting in and out a bit dangerous, especially as I have one hip that is not as flexible as I would wish. Cleaning it is also a challenge. A standard tub probably would have sufficed. I love the double sinks as well as the WC behind the pocket door.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
You'll need another bath after you're finished cleaning your oversized bath & the standard 40 gal water heater will just about be out of hot water after you fill a large tub.

Our house in NC had a Jacuzzi , used it once.
Typical response of men who won't let their wives hire a cleaning lady for 2-3 hours at $20/hr.

And ladies, for easy and fast cleaning of the nice tub that allows you to be fully immersed, in between visits of a cleaning lady, a mop that wrings with twist handle, rinsed under the faucet, works just fine.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

If I had to share the same sink with my DH, I would just shoot myself. I like a dry counter around my sink. He worked long and hard and deserves to be a sloppy "sinker." A cleaning lady keeps it all friendly. But I would not give up that second sink for the world. I also like the toilet being in its own room. For one thing, I can close the door and not wake anyone up (DH, two dogs) in the middle of the night.

I love the roman shower. I do not like sitting in water to bathe. If I wanted something to soak in, I would probably consider a hot tub on the lanai which would maintain the water temperature.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:37 PM

If you are going to rent it out, the tenant will surely abuse it and use it. Think twice about the water bill and the cost of hot water. Also, double sinks will lose counter and under counter space. How many couples need to brush their teeth at the same time? Never understand that.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Sage

We have a cleaning person twice a month-Its $110/a day--4 hrs each day

where can you get someone to clean for $20./hr
Old 07-23-2016, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
We have a cleaning person twice a month-Its $110/a day--4 hrs each day

where can you get someone to clean for $20./hr
Wow! That's $27.50 per hour! I hope they're paying self-employment tax.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,929 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Wow! That's $27.50 per hour! I hope they're paying self-employment tax.
Probably not, that's why the Feds wants to get rid of cash! That way EVERYTHING is traceable.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

As long as your rentals can do nooky in the bathroom, all will be ok..
Old 07-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Gold member

When I built my home in 2012, I wanted to put in a Jacuzzi tub. The Design Team person discouraged me from getting a Jacuzzi because I would have had to get a larger hot water heater and she also mentioned the water bill. I decided to stick with the Roman shower which I also wanted. I wanted the Roman shower as my Mom uses a walker now and who knows if she might need a wheelchair in the future. Our home also has double sinks and a water closet.

I will say we have a large Jacuzzi in our master bath in Michigan that I rarely use. Mom never gets in because she wouldn't be able to get out of it!
Old 07-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If renting, I would say double sinks are almost mandatory. Soaking tubs are wonderful but definitely not a necessity. If I had to choose between a soaking tub with walkin shower and a full Roman shower, the Roman shower would win hands down. For one thing, I would not want the risk of a renter slipping in the tub.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

Tags
master, bath, love, tub, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.