Mohawk Smart Strand Carpet

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2016, 07:40 AM
Default Mohawk Smart Strand Carpet

Has anyone installed this carpet in the last couple of years? I was going to replace my bedrooms with this carpeting, and then I read very negative reviews online. Any comments positive or negative.

If you have replaced your carpeting in the last few years and it has held up and you are happy with it, would you please tell me the brand and where you bought it.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

I am biased since I retired from Shaw, Mohawk's biggest competitor.

Although Mohawk was able to get the government to call Smart Strand a new type of fiber, it is really just another polyester formulation. All polyester carpets have similar properties. They are low cost and very good at stain resistance, but poor in durability. That is why they are popular in multi-family apartment housing, where the carpet is replaced much more often than in single family homes.

Shaw also makes polyester carpet as a low cost alternative. But we believe that nylon carpet is best.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
I am biased since I retired from Shaw, Mohawk's biggest competitor.

Although Mohawk was able to get the government to call Smart Strand a new type of fiber, it is really just another polyester formulation. All polyester carpets have similar properties. They are low cost and very good at stain resistance, but poor in durability. That is why they are popular in multi-family apartment housing, where the carpet is replaced much more often than in single family homes.

Shaw also makes polyester carpet as a low cost alternative. But we believe that nylon carpet is best.
Thanks for the input.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

Years ago I worked for a company and one of the products they distributed was Armstrong Floor Products.
I am not pushing anything Armstrong, however, the man that ran that department told me to find the color I liked in carpeting.
Purchase the least expensive carpet you can find, but buy the best padding and you will get years of wear out of it.
Of course today not many people buy color; everything seems to be one shade or another of beige.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:54 PM

Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:32 AM

I've purchased two types of Mohawk carpeting within the last 3 years. One type I'm thrilled with. The other type I'd never buy again. The type I would NOT buy again is SilkStrand. The SilkStrand is alluringly plushy, but it's hard to push a regular vacuum on it. I had to buy a special vacuum for it. There's a weird friction to it. The type I'm thrilled with is regular SmartStrand. It really does resist staining and repels liquids as advertised. My dog had a pee accident after a surgery and the pee literally sat on the surface of the carpet without being absorbed. I just cleaned the area first with plain water, then with a little soapy water and the spot came totally clean.

I got both carpets at Village Flooring on 441 in Fruitland Park. This family owned company is great to work with. PM me if you'd like to know more.
Closed Thread

Tags
years, carpet, carpeting, negative, replaced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.