Move your gas grill off the lanai!!!

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Sage
Exclamation Move your gas grill off the lanai!!!

I looked out on the lanai this afternoon and saw quite a few black things on my lanai floor. I didn't think too much of it and later went out to inspect them. They were mice droppings! I couldn't understand how a mouse could get in the lanai. I was washing off some pool shoes and happen to look down at the screen and there was a hole chewed right through the screen. I called Massey and told them what I had observed. They asked if I had a grill on my lanai and I told them I did. They said that mice will eat through the screens in search of the fat/ drippings on the grill. At the time, I hadn't looked near the grill because there weren't any droppings in that area. Upon further inspection, sure enough there were two more holes chewed through another screen behind the grill and a lot of droppings under the grill. Massey was right, the mice were after the grill. We moved the grill outside and will now have to pour a larger slab to accommodate it. So, if you have a grill on your lanai you might want to move it outside. We now have to replace two large sections of screen.....so far. Massey will come and trap those nasty pests!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Never thought a grill would be mouse bait. Yuck
Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

Good move, Happinow, but that's still no guaranty that the mice won't go after the grill. My gas grill is outside the lanai, on a slab, and we've had mice also, especially when all of the construction was going on in my area of Charlotte. A friend of mine had a snake in her grill. I was so grossed out, I put everything I could through the dishwasher on the highest setting possible, and haven't used the grill in 2 years. I barely used it before.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
Good move, Happinow, but that's still no guaranty that the mice won't go after the grill. My gas grill is outside the lanai, on a slab, and we've had mice also, especially when all of the construction was going on in my area of Charlotte. A friend of mine had a snake in her grill. I was so grossed out, I put everything I could through the dishwasher on the highest setting possible, and haven't used the grill in 2 years. I barely used it before.

The key to using a grill in TV is to put it on the slab (a lanai does not qualify) and do not use a cover. Little critters love to use the the cover to crawl up into the grill.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I looked out on the lanai this afternoon and saw quite a few black things on my lanai floor. I didn't think too much of it and later went out to inspect them. They were mice droppings! I couldn't understand how a mouse could get in the lanai. I was washing off some pool shoes and happen to look down at the screen and there was a hole chewed right through the screen. I called Massey and told them what I had observed. They asked if I had a grill on my lanai and I told them I did. They said that mice will eat through the screens in search of the fat/ drippings on the grill. At the time, I hadn't looked near the grill because there weren't any droppings in that area. Upon further inspection, sure enough there were two more holes chewed through another screen behind the grill and a lot of droppings under the grill. Massey was right, the mice were after the grill. We moved the grill outside and will now have to pour a larger slab to accommodate it. So, if you have a grill on your lanai you might want to move it outside. We now have to replace two large sections of screen.....so far. Massey will come and trap those nasty pests!!!
I never knew that, thanks for post.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Eternal Member

Are you sure those are mice droppings and not anole droppings? They make a mess on my lanai. I am trying to figure out how to plug their entrance/exit holes. But then, I do not have the holes in the screens so it is probably mice.

I had a 9X9 concrete pad put next to my lanai before I moved in back in 2001. I usually grill weekly. Before I light the grill, I open it up and beat on it with the grill cleaner brush. This sends the anoles that live in the grill scurrying. Then I light the grill and watch the lazy anoles leave.

Not sure what I would do if I saw a snake in the grill. Probably get a stick and poke him until he left. And then cook.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

You need a feline sentry.........

uploadfromtaptalk1408411786060-jpg
Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Gold member

I've watched the little Anoles come in through the threshold under the screen door. It allows water to drain from the Lanai.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Default move your grass grill off lanai

just last week my husband was grilling outside and there were 6 palmetto bugs crawling around it. He killed them and we called massey who came out and did their thing and they are gone. Massey said they all go for the grease. First thing I said was thank goodness we do not keep the grill on the lanai. PS he said palmetto bugs, I am a nyc girl I say roaches. yuk.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Veteran member

Your killing me with all these horror stories. What about we that have summer kitchens? I can't take all this "nature." I hate bugs, mice, and any other crawlies.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Sage

We have a family of snakes that live under our air conditioner, which is well away from the grill.
The pest company said to leave them alone.
We back on a "nature" area, and we've never seen a mouse or a rat. So I guess the snakes take care of that problem for us.

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-19-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
You need a feline sentry.........

Attachment 44385
My feline sees a bug and stares at it for an hour, but won't make a move to catch it. She reminds me of Garfield, love her to death, but she is a lazy little thing. Bugs don't impress her.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 AM
Veteran member

Has similar problems with mice on my outside patio near the grill. Buy some Dcon bait trays and place one on the ground outside. Then monitor them and see if the bait is being eaten, which means the mice will be gone in a short period of time. Always brings a smile to my face to see an empty tray.

D-Con Ready Mixed Baitbits - Walmart.com
Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Default Cat sentry

What Chi-Town said. Get a cat! Our cats love Florida because of all the interesting critters. They seek out and destroy everything that gets into our birdcage.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Like Rosanne-Rosannadana said....."It's always something".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.