Snakes In General

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Default Snakes In General

I just read the post of the black snake spotted by a postal center. Additionally, I was watching Animal Planet last nite on TV and the topic was Python snakes in the Everglades and how they are migrating north. I am deathly terrified of snakes. Cockroaches, spiders, mice, bugs, etc. don't bother me; but a snake will give me a heart attack.

My questions are - how many and what kind are usually seen in TV? Where are they usually spotted. I have a pool; do they go there? What areas should I avoid. What time of year are they more prominent?

Where I currently live (in the country) we've seen several snakes, big and little. However, once I put Fox urine out, I've not seen any. I plan to do the same once I move to TV. I have a CYV and will de-snake it before I ever move in.

Any info pertaining to snakes in TV is most appreciated.

This is how I feel about snakes
Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

We removed the shrubs from our CYV. Snakes like shrubs and will get inside the branches to hide.
I see about 1 snake a year around our Villas........black racers. And they can move fast.
They keep the mice and rat population down.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM

We have seen 1 black snake near our CYV and was told it was a "good snake" so we put out moth balls near the storm drain and haven't seen it since. The fox urine seems like a good idea too. The only good snake I have seen is a dead snake but I know they keep the rodent population down.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:59 PM

otherbruddaDarrell - I don't have any bushes, trees, plants, etc. My CYV is landscaped with white rock front and back. I do have a pool though. Do they get in the pool?

nussbaum - I agree, the only good snake is a DEAD snake. They do keep the rodent population down, but I'd rather take care of the rodents by another method.

What villages do you guys live in? I'm in De La Vista South.

I'm not kidding when I say I am deathly afraid of snakes. I litteraly go postal, hyperventilate (which is not good for my asthma), freak out, get spasticated, and my heart beats so fast I think it is going to explode!! It takes my hours to calm down. By then I've spent so much adrenaline that I am exhausted.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

Gosh, maybe Florida is the wrong place for you, because there are lots of snakes here, especially where there is new construction and they have lost their habitat.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum8156 View Post
Gosh, maybe Florida is the wrong place for you, because there are lots of snakes here, especially where there is new construction and they have lost their habitat.
I tend to agree with you, jblum. Especially in view of rhsgypsylady saying "I am deathly terrified of snakes" and " a snake will give me a heart attack".
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Taltarzac

You would think that Texas would have just as many snakes as this part of Florida. There were a lot more snakes in yards when I lived in Palm Harbor (near Clearwater) than there have been in the Villages. rhsgypsylady lists her location as Texas.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM

As far as I'm concerned all snakes are unwelcome. But I've lived in S FL for a while and, there are good snakes that eat rats, which are a problem down here, even in nice, clean homes. So, I've rethought my snake phobias and allowed a few into my world.....just not too close...... so, when we move the TV I'll set out a fake owl in the back and hopefully........s's won't come to visit.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Eternal Member
Default Snakes in FLorida

TRy these sites:

http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...nlineguide.htm

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Sage

Hi Rhsgypsylady,

For what it's worth, snakes don't want anything to do with us either. If we don't mess with them, they won't mess with us.

That probably isn't much consolation against genuine a phobia, but I figure a gentle reminder couldn't hurt.

I'd put out a urine jar for our neighborhood fox and bring it to you full if I could.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 AM

Where can I get a fox? And after I do, how do I get the urine?????

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Don't know where to get the fox but after you get one -Give the fox salty snacks, lots of water and be careful!

Becky
Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Gold member

Would the fox count in the two dog limit?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:39 PM

jblum8156 - Where I bought is north of 466 and not a new area so there shouldn't be much construction going on (I hope).

Taltarzac - yes, there are snakes in TX. When I lived in the city (Ft Worth), I rarely saw one and it usually was a grass snake. In nearly 50 yrs, I probably have seen less than 5. However, we moved to the country almost 14 years ago. I would not go out at night. The birds would usually alert us and my husband would shoot it. I came across one in a storage room (probably not even 10" long) and went into a spastic shock that took me hours to get over. At that point, I went to the feed store and asked for help. That's where I got the Fox urine. I went home and put it everywhere and have not seen a snake since, and that's been a couple of years ago. Oh, I'm sure they're still around; I just haven't seen them and that's ok.

Sue&Gene - What does a fake owl do? What role does it play in detering snakes?

Pturner - Go ahead and put out that urine jar for your neighborhood fox. Once it's full seal it and I'll get it when I come down. Lord knows I'll need all I can get.

Sherman931 - In regard to your question "Where can I get a fox? And after I do, how do I get the urine????? ", see Pturner. She has a fox in her neighborhood and I bet if you ask real nice she might catch you some urine.

zcaveman - Thank you for the websites. I will definitely research.

Becky – talk to Pturner about the salty snacks.

Collie1228 – I’m not sure how the fox counts toward the two dog limit. Check your deed restrictions.

This is a serious phobia for me and has been all my life. My dad was the same way so I guess I inherited it from him. I know snakes are all over the world, in the city and in the country. I have wanted to move to FL since 1999 and when I retire in a couple of years that's where I'm going.

In this post, I've replied to each of you, some in a humorous way. Thanks so much for responding to my initial post and any advice you have given me. Just remember - if you want us to be friends when I come down, DO NOT play any kind of tricks on me with snakes (dead or alive). On the other hand, if you do not want to be friends, just give me a shot of penicillian. I am deathly allergic to it and the next dose will kill me.

Got my villa bought - now I just have to get myself there. Until then. . . . . mucho frienship!!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Default they were here first

Do you believe in live and let live? I don't believe in killing any animal just because it is inconvienient for someone...They are doing what we all are trying to do...Stay alive and eat ... We keep building and building with no regaurd to the animals who live there...Where will they go ...What will they eat ....Where is the new habitat for them or are we going to build there also....Be nicer to the wild animals , they have been evicted from there homes..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.