My Comcast experience Feb 2017

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I just called Gary Hicks, there is a recording on his phone that his mail box isn't set up.
I just called Deb Brainard, there is a recording on her phone that says she is out of the office until January 26.

January 26 of which year? That, IMHO, is an exemplar of the problem with Comcast. You know I wish well for you Barefoot. Sounds like an intervention might be necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Actually, CenturyLink has the fastest internet with a 1 gigabit/sec offering if you have fiber to your house. It is not clear to me what you would do with the bandwidth but it is available.
Not true

I have fiber in my house, which they installed, they the best they do os 10mb
Old 02-23-2017, 11:59 PM
Sage

Sorry, your wrong. I have fiber to my house and have 40 megabits per sec download/20 megabits per sec upload. 100 megabits per sec and 1000 megabits per sec (1 gigabit per sec) are also available. How do I know this? I asked them 6 months ago about my options during a routine call to see if there was better pricing available with any of their plans. I am south of 466a where fiber was run up to the houses during construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Not true

I have fiber in my house, which they installed, they the best they do os 10mb

Last edited by biker1; 02-24-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 AM

I don't believe you were told correctly for your area. Well the company may have 1GB (and they do) HOWEVER not in the zip code 32163. Maybe he was just a salesman, wonder if that was true? Would you guys say how much was quoted for the 1GB download? Doubt it was quoted. xfinity gives you the true numbers for a great price. (And again, I do not work, so I do not work for them. I did my research first). Maybe you should report this to the senior watch?

Here are the screenshots as my proof. I went to the industry standard speediest.net for the numbers. I've have multiple companies for internet service in my life and all the techs go here to check. I also went to the CenturyLink website and checked my zip code.

screen-shot-2017-02-24-9-24-16-am-jpg

screen-shot-2017-02-24-9-33-38-am-jpg

Doubt no one will either admit they are wrong, or prove me wrong. Misinformation seems to be easy to cover up with silence or misleading attacks. Maybe someone was right but that is for another forum. (this post is NOT POLITICAL in any way)
Oh, and I was wrong when I said 10mb, its 100mb max.

Last edited by TheDude; 02-24-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Sage

For kicks, I had asked them for the 1 gigabit/sec pricing. It was about $125/month. It could be turned on from their office with no visit to the house required. They could turn it on tomorrow if I wanted them to.

Quote:
Best to check their website, put in your address and see. Maybe he was just a salesman, wonder if that was true. But also remember, the internet isn't always right, maybe they did improve. Would you guys say how much was quoted for the 1GB download? If its a crazy number, then xfinity is a better value.

Attachment 66252
Old 02-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Sage

Actually I was told correctly. As a customer, they also send me flyers asking if I want to upgrade to 1 gigabit per second. The flyers actually started long after I knew I could get 1 gigabit per second. A bit of a time lag between engineering and marketing. I have seen this before at a previous home where I had fiber based IPTV and internet access long before the marketing people were pushing it. The webpages are the worst place to look as they aren't current or are just wrong. First or second level tech support is where the real knowledge is. By the way, "GB" is shorthand for "gigabyte" (1024 ^3 bytes). Bandwidths for internet service providers are generally specified in terms of nominal gigabits per second. There are 8 bits to a byte so quoting in units of "GB" means you are off by a factor of 8. Full disclosure: I studied Computer Science in Graduate School.

Quote:
I don't believe you were told correctly for your area. Well the company may have 1GB (and they do) HOWEVER not in the zip code 32163. Maybe he was just a salesman, wonder if that was true? Would you guys say how much was quoted for the 1GB download? Doubt it was quoted. xfinity gives you the true numbers for a great price. (And again, I do not work, so I do not work for them. I did my research first). Maybe you should report this to the senior watch?

Here are the screenshots as my proof. I went to the industry standard speediest.net for the numbers. I've have multiple companies for internet service in my life and all the techs go here to check. I also went to the CenturyLink website and checked my zip code.

Attachment 66252

Attachment 66253

Doubt no one will either admit they are wrong, or prove me wrong. Misinformation seems to be easy to cover up with silence or misleading attacks. Maybe someone was right but that is for another forum. (this post is NOT POLITICAL in any way)
Oh, and I was wrong when I said 10mb, its 100mb max.

Last edited by biker1; 02-24-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

welcome to Comcast rated the worsted in customer service. l.o.l
Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
I just called Gary Hicks, there is a recording on his phone that his mail box isn't set up.
I just called Deb Brainard, there is a recording on her phone that says she is out of the office until January 26.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
January 26 of which year? That, IMHO, is an exemplar of the problem with Comcast. You know I wish well for you Barefoot.
It's so frustrating!! I've been charged $210 for terminating a contract that I never agreed to.
I emailed Deb Brainard last week with a follow-up email this week; but I've heard nothing back.
I don't even know if she received my emails (I sent it to both email addresses mentioned in this thread).
Old 02-24-2017, 12:15 PM

well, if they can do 1GB then their website is wrong. It could be for business customers.

125$ a month is a lot though (to me). 80MB (for me) is overkill. So doing the math 8% of 1G is overkill and overkill only is 40$ a month. I have no computer skills. I do have google skills 35MB download is needed for 4K Netflix. 83MB is more than double.

Now, if you need 1GB, GB you. Are you going to do it, I would love to know how much better it feels. Maybe I'll change my mind.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:24 PM
Sage

Their website is not necessarily wrong - it is just not up to date. As I already stated, I can get 1 gigabit per sec at my home, right now.

You would need to have a serious download habit to make it worth while. I work on software development projects from my home office and 40 megabits per sec (download) is more than sufficient and I move some large tarballs around.

I have no need for 1 gigabit per sec and I am content paying $34 per month (total with all taxes and fees) for 40 megabits per sec.

Please don't use "GB" and "MB" when you really mean "Gb" and "Mb". The lower case "b" indicates bits and the upper case "B" indicates bytes.

Quote:
well, if they can do 1GB then their website is wrong. It could be for business customers.

125$ a month is a lot though (to me). 80MB (for me) is overkill. So doing the math 8% of 1G is overkill and overkill only is 40$ a month. I have no computer skills. I do have google skills 35MB download is needed for 4K Netflix. 83MB is more than double.

Now, if you need 1GB, GB you. Are you going to do it, I would love to know how much better it feels. Maybe I'll change my mind.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
It's so frustrating!! I've been charged $210 for terminating a contract that I never agreed to.
I emailed Deb Brainard last week with a follow-up email this week; but I've heard nothing back.
I don't even know if she received my emails (I sent it to both email addresses mentioned in this thread).
Can anyone suggest a different way to contact Deb Brainard, or another Comcast official that could help resolve my issue.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Default Yowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Actually I was told correctly. As a customer, they also send me flyers asking if I want to upgrade to 1 gigabit per second. The flyers actually started long after I knew I could get 1 gigabit per second. A bit of a time lag between engineering and marketing. I have seen this before at a previous home where I had fiber based IPTV and internet access long before the marketing people were pushing it. The webpages are the worst place to look as they aren't current or are just wrong. First or second level tech support is where the real knowledge is. By the way, "GB" is shorthand for "gigabyte" (1024 ^3 bytes). Bandwidths for internet service providers are generally specified in terms of nominal gigabits per second. There are 8 bits to a byte so quoting in units of "GB" means you are off by a factor of 8. Full disclosure: I studied Computer Science in Graduate School.
:cl ap2:

Well stated........and a great demonstration of a trained professional in his field.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, comcast, day, call, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.