Cheap Cabinets

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Gold member
Default Cheap Cabinets

Recently I met a very nice lady who told me that they were in the midst of putting in kitchen cabinetry in their new house. At the time, I thought it was a nice but unnecessary thing to do. I have since changed my mind!! I am really ticked off. The drawers in my kitchen are all getting messed up in the bottoms. I admit, I did not put liners in ALL of the drawers, planning to do it eventually. So far, two of the drawers I use for silverware are getting water damage, even though I only put in things from my dishwasher, which is set to dry. Maybe I'm naive but I thought that after spending the money that we did to purchase this home, we would at least have quality stuff. My house in Michigan was built in 1979 and the cabinetry was still great when we sold it. I plan to call warranty but I'm not sure what they will suggest as a solution. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 AM
Platinum member

Trish,
The cabinets you had from 1979 would probably be very high end if you purchased them today. I remember mine being hardwood inside and out. Today, that could easily add another $20 grand+ (seriously) to an average sized kitchen. Many would opt not to have that expense.... so cabinets like that aren't routine anywhere anymore.

I have visited a number of high end homes, where no expense is spared in the kitchen or elsewhere. Some kitchens cost as much as my whole house did and they were fabulous.
I also attended a few very high end plumbing expos with a custom contractor I knew, where the stuff I saw was internationally gathered and blew me away.
Most beautiful and amazing TOP quality things I ever saw!

Our homes here are good ones, but overall not high end in the details.
I guess that's why God made Rubbermaid liners, for drippy people like me- He's so smart!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:23 AM

Trish, how long have you been in your home? I would contact the builder and maybe he will replace the damaged drawers. Janet
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I left behind heavy wood cabinets and got thin wood cabinets here. I think what Uptown Girl said is right on.

Our new ones look up to date in color even though they aren't as well made as the out of date looking oak ones we left behind.

Wood does water spot but the floor of these will bubble if you have a big drip on them.

I understand Trish.

I heard one of the builders for Premiers owns a cabinet company and has a contract with TV.

And...the dishwasher in our designer didn't dry completely either. The one in the Premier is better.

I left behind a kitchen in Ohio that was all of my dreams come true except I didn't have the out of date cabinets replaced because they were better made than the newer choices. This one looks wonderful and functions well but it was not as high end. I miss my REALLY BIG fridge a lot.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

jimbo had problems with his cabinets too
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The cabinets of old were real wood, today to save a buck composite woods are used. Basicly all they are are ground up wood and glue compressed. So when the get wet they bubble, but they look nice and cost less.We to left a custom kitchen and as has been said, it would cost a lot down here. As for the dishwasher I always wipe the items before I put them away because they're not always dry. Cabinet liners and draw units are a must.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I left behind a custom built dream home with a "to die for" kitchen. I also left behind 7 months of winter, carrying in wood twice a day to feed a wood burning stove, ice on the driveway and steps, killing frosts at the end of August/beginning of September, black fly season and mosquitoes big enough to carry you away. I'll put up with the cheaply built home.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelaine amee View Post
i left behind a custom built dream home with a "to die for" kitchen. I also left behind 7 months of winter, carrying in wood twice a day to feed a wood burning stove, ice on the driveway and steps, killing frosts at the end of august/beginning of september, black fly season and mosquitoes big enough to carry you away. I'll put up with the cheaply built home.
amen !
Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum member

I have to say that recent posts are not giving me with warm fuzzies about moving into TV. First I hear about plumbing backups and now I hear about crummy cabinets and dishwashers that don't dry. Have I made a mistake moving there?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Default Cheap Cabinets

Although I don't have composite cabinets, rather than using shelf liner that never stays put, I lined my drawers and cabinets with peel and stick tiles from Home Depot. It was a very time consuming project because the tiles needed to be cut with a knife but they look great, clean up easily and will probably last longer than the cabinets
Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
Although I don't have composite cabinets, rather than using shelf liner that never stays put, I lined my drawers and cabinets with peel and stick tiles from Home Depot. It was a very time consuming project because the tiles needed to be cut with a knife but they look great, clean up easily and will probably last longer than the cabinets
What a great idea. I hate shelf liner as it never stays put and I worry about creepy crawlies getting underneath. I'm going to give your idea a shot. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I have to say that recent posts are not giving me with warm fuzzies about moving into TV. First I hear about plumbing backups and now I hear about crummy cabinets and dishwashers that don't dry. Have I made a mistake moving there?
I wouldn't say they're cheap homes. first they've built 50K homes, so a few problems can be expected. Stuff happens, and you have a home warranty. As for the Cabinet issue these are not custom cabinets, they look fine but as anything else you get what you pay for, and unless your going custom or high end these are the same cabinets just about every builder in the country are using, as for the plumbing issue, I'm sure if this are more then a few homes the mason contractor will be gone, if it turns out to be a problem is from the tile guy which I suspect he to will be gone. The developer doesn't want problems and there are many other contractors waiting to work in the villages. I wouldn't concern myself that much as you don't hear of many MAJOR new home issues.

Last edited by skip0358; 05-21-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spell
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have built many homes, the last two were custom in Cincinnati. We watched our kids build two.

This is the best built home we have ever seen go up, with the fewest problems.

But NOTHING is perfect, especially at our age. We have had many belongings and experiences.

I still would choose my dark and good lookin' cabinets over my well made and out of date oak ones and I chose the danged stainless steel appliances again, although they fingerprint just like the last two sets did.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 AM

I think the issue with veneer and/or particle board drawer bottoms is just typical throughout the housing industry .... it just comes with the territory. That being said, the quality of the cabinets offered in new TV homes is as good as most and far from the worst. It's typical mid-grade, and if we were buying them as remodeling replacement cabinets, many of us would probably feel that they were expensive. You might be amazed to see how bad truly cheap cabinets can really be.
My "high end" house up North from Toll Bros had same quality cabinetry, and when I remodeled the kitchen the price of solid wood (or thereabouts) cabinetry was shocking, so I stuck to the mid-grade, just like I have in my new house in Fernandina.

Swampy
Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Sage

I might be missing something, but I know that the three 90+year old aunts in my family dry dishes before putting them away. LMK if I'm all wet. I let the dishes air dry, and wipe down the glasses, course they spot if not dried...
I expect drawer surfaces where I impose friction,or place cutting, gouging gadgets to show that, so I line them.
hm. I don't get it. Help me out, I really don't get it.
Kitty
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.