Neighbor Lawn neglect...what to do?

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Default Neighbor Lawn neglect...what to do?

I wish someone would mow that yard next door. The couple who owned it did a reverse mortgage and now it sits empty with the weed ridden so called grass being 12 inches tall. The plants have not been trimmed in the back for over a year. What is going on? How do I find out who I can complain to? Someone must be aware that the house is in need of weekly care!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
VCDD Community Standards

Old 07-21-2014, 12:25 PM

call the villages code enforcement
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Eternal Member

If it is foreclosure, you will need to call the bank that holds the mortgage. They will not do anything but you will feel better.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

Had this exact same problem up North, tried calling bank and they would not talk to me. Went to the township, they handed me a form to file a formal complaint, which I did, and I had 2-3 of the other neighbors file also. I followed up with a call to the township, and they followed up with the bank, after they cut the grass the and put a lien on the property. I agree with the previous posters, contact VCDD and community standards, and follow-up with written complaints, and if possible have you neighbors complain also, you might be surprised with the results. I was.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

If you call community standards, they will send someone out to mow the grass and do some general cleanup. They will put a lien on the house and get paid when it is sold.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Gold member

We have the exact situation next door to us. House is in the hands of a bank in California and has been for almost 3 yrs now. That bank could care less what the place looks like or how many neighbors are sick of its appearance. The only thing you can do is call Community Standards, be specific as to what is in violation, they will send someone from that office who will photograph the complaint and then a company and I use that term loosely, will show up & do what they consider mowing. I have actually seen the place next to me be "mowed" with a weed whacker. I've talked with a few of the company's that have shown up & complained & I was told they get $15.00 to do these foreclosure places so what do ya expect.
Don't expect the mower company to do anything regarding shrub trimming as that is considered a separate violation so you have to place additional phone calls to Community Standards & specify the shrub issue. The same routine will follow...someone shows up, takes photos and hopefully within a short span some other so called company may show up & hack away.
All I can add is that we don't have much say in the matter other than constantly call & complain. We've been doing this for almost 3 yrs.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 PM

I bet I know the property you are referring to. It is near my house on San Marino. There is a mention of a Calif. company and phone number on the window. I called the number and they said they are no longer involved, since May. She would not share the name or phone number of who is left holding the bag. It is a night mare. I am ready to pit a fit. Otherwise, the mess will get worse and worse. Silence is what they want. I knew both of these people who once were alive and owned these homes and they would be shocked.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 AM

I was scared to death to click on this post, afraid I'd see mention of my yard. I promise, promise, promise that I've called Stellar several times about the fact that my overgrown grass went to seed last week. Not a happy camper right now.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Speaking of lawn neglect, anyone know anything new about the couple on Society Circle?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane G View Post
I was scared to death to click on this post, afraid I'd see mention of my yard. I promise, promise, promise that I've called Stellar several times about the fact that my overgrown grass went to seed last week. Not a happy camper right now.
Are you on their new 2 weeek cut program...how is that working out??
Old 07-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskarose View Post
The couple who owned it did a reverse mortgage and now it sits empty with the weed ridden so called grass being 12 inches tall...
If you were wanting to really get their attention. Call their mortgage company, I'm pretty sure that to qualify for a reverse mortgage you must occupy the home. The owner will be forced to repay the loan if they no longer use the home as their principal residence.

Last edited by John_W; 07-23-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Speaking of lawn neglect, anyone know anything new about the couple on Society Circle?
Who are they?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM

Is the couple on Society Circle not keeping their yard maintained? I am put out about the homes in foreclosure that are left to sit for years and have very little maintenance. I see you have 20,508 posts. That is a lot. I guess everyone knows you are out there. Good for you
I called Community Standards at 751-3912. They will have the
Community Watch people check it out and then they will see what they can do about the neglect. Just more of the same old thing. I will be glad if they mow next door and do some plant maintenance or a regular basis.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 AM

Apparently, I'm on their "whenever they want to show up" program since it's been three weeks now. It's not working out for me at all.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.