Neighbor Lawn neglect...what to do?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have someone maintain my lawn, but if my next door neighbor had a problem with his grass I would cut it if I had a lawn mower. It helps the neighbor and me.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I have someone maintain my lawn, but if my next door neighbor had a problem with his grass I would cut it if I had a lawn mower. It helps the neighbor and me.

That is what we would do if this were to happen on our street in Collier. Up north the house next door foreclosed and the yard was not taken care of. It made the entire street look bad. My husband cut the lawn while I weeded. We didn't like doing it but we didn't like looking at a overgrown lawn either. We kept calling the bank along with the neighbors and eventually the bank took over the task.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskarose View Post
i wish someone would mow that yard next door. The couple who owned it did a reverse mortgage and now it sits empty with the weed ridden so called grass being 12 inches tall. The plants have not been trimmed in the back for over a year. What is going on? How do i find out who i can complain to? Someone must be aware that the house is in need of weekly care!
i don't understand the relationship of the neglect and a reverse mortage. They can only get the reverse loan amount of 50% of the property value. It seems they would have sold the home.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
i don't understand the relationship of the neglect and a reverse mortage. They can only get the reverse loan amount of 50% of the property value. It seems they would have sold the home.
It is very possible that the owners took out a reverse mortgage and then suffered medical issues which put then into assisted living or nursing home. Depending upon how their financial powers of attorney were written, their family may not be able to act on their behalf. Or they may no one who can act for them. Or they may think that they are going to recover and move back.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:58 PM

How about someone who's doing landscaping (mostly himself) and started about 8 weeks ago? The lawn is a mess with dirt all over and walls that were started but not finished. We have been looking at this mess for over two months and it seems there is no end. I haven't seen or heard Neighborhood Watch do anything and they drive by all the time. I thought we had high standards for aesthetics in The Villages and homes were supposed to be kept.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pili View Post
How about someone who's doing landscaping (mostly himself) and started about 8 weeks ago? The lawn is a mess with dirt all over and walls that were started but not finished. We have been looking at this mess for over two months and it seems there is no end. I haven't seen or heard Neighborhood Watch do anything and they drive by all the time. I thought we had high standards for aesthetics in The Villages and homes were supposed to be kept.
Neighborhood Watch will not do anything. (Do you mean Community Watch?) In order for anything to be said to the homeowner, someone must file a complaint with the deed compliance office. All the deed restriction violations are complaint driven. Nothing will be done unless someone complains.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Gold member

just so you know......we have a home next to us in forclosure. I mowed the lawn once and then was told by others that I should not mow anymore.
If somehow I caused a rock or something to go threw the window, what would I do, retired lawyer explained it is like tresspassing.
go figure...
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM

One of the reasons I moved here is so that I would not have to put up with lawn signs, garbage cans in the driveway, or neighbors not caring for their landscaping - its a shame when a lawn is not maintained and only group neighborhood pressure may cause a change.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Platinum member

What's the address?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
just so you know......we have a home next to us in forclosure. I mowed the lawn once and then was told by others that I should not mow anymore.
If somehow I caused a rock or something to go threw the window, what would I do, retired lawyer explained it is like tresspassing.
go figure...
No offense to any lawyers on here...but if I worried about every time someone could sue me I wouldn't leave my house. The lawyer is right, but really!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
go figure...
Neighbor and I trimmed trees on a foreclosed house across the street. Who cares? It was in that limbo where the bank can't do anything. The people that blew out of there sure didn't care. The new owners are meticulous about their property. All's well.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.