The Nerve of Some People

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Default The Nerve of Some People

Went to Toojay's the other evening for dinner. Standing in line behind us was a group of 15 people, one of the women had a small white dog on a leash in the restaurant with a vest on and a patch saying "Comfort Dog." I am not a dog fancier and don't like them in restaurants, with the exception of TRUE service dogs. "Comfort Dogs" are not recognized as service dogs and as such are not allowed in restaurants. I would guess that the staff at Toojay's wouldn't say anything for fear of getting sued, even though the suit would be tossed out as being without merit. Now that I know, I'll say something the next time!!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default The Nerve of Some People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1366 View Post
Went to Toojay's the other evening for dinner. Standing in line behind us was a group of 15 people, one of the women had a small white dog on a leash in the restaurant with a vest on and a patch saying "Comfort Dog." I am not a dog fancier and don't like them in restaurants, with the exception of TRUE service dogs. "Comfort Dogs" are not recognized as service dogs and as such are not allowed in restaurants. I would guess that the staff at Toojay's wouldn't say anything for fear of getting sued, even though the suit would be tossed out as being without merit. Now that I know, I'll say something the next time!!

I love dogs but I do agree with you, dogs don't belong in restaurants. Obviously the offender thinks she is entitled to whatever society will tolerate. BTW, she had no right under the ADA to bring her animal into a restaurant.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1366 View Post
went to toojay's the other evening for dinner. Standing in line behind us was a group of 15 people, one of the women had a small white dog on a leash in the restaurant with a vest on and a patch saying "comfort dog." i am not a dog fancier and don't like them in restaurants, with the exception of true service dogs. "comfort dogs" are not recognized as service dogs and as such are not allowed in restaurants. I would guess that the staff at toojay's wouldn't say anything for fear of getting sued, even though the suit would be tossed out as being without merit. Now that i know, i'll say something the next time!!
/////

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

Dogs rule the world...We had friends in Florida that would NOT go anywhere without their dog...including restaurants...
Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I love. LOVE, dogs but that is really pushing the envelope. It does not help with those who are on the fence or lukewarm to dogs to help them understand why we dog and cat lovers care so deeply about our pets. It just seems pushy to me. So different from a dog for the blind, which I really haven't seen here.

Now I will be beat upon. I hate pushy and I hate selfish and I hate those who just do things because the rest of us are so nice.

I like dogs so much better than people some times. and I love kitties too.

Aim and throw.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM

I love dogs and I took mine many places but not to the squares when they are busy and not to restaurants. In general as a courtesy I never took them where there was going to be a lot of people-a courtesy to the people and my dog.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I wonder if this is an issue with whoever does health inspections. Full disclosure: I love dogs.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Did you ask to speak to the manager? If you found their answer didn't satisfy you and the dog situation was bothersome to you, I hope you left and went to another restaurant.

The issue is beyond a love of dogs and if they should or should not be permitted in a restaurant. You have to ask yourself when something occurs and is not within your power to change, do you continue on the course and accept or do you become agitated? I personally roll with the punches and wouldn't let this ruin my meal. If I couldn't enjoy my meal because of the dog and couldn't shake the frustration, I'd go elsewhere. Life is too short to allow a situation that is frustrating to harbor within you.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sadly, she can get away with it. All she has to do is claim the dog is an emotional support dog. Of course, the restaurant can legally ask for proof, but who's going to risk that mess?

ES dogs are trained. They are especially helpful for people suffering from PTSD. Those dogs (and other animals) are recognized by the ADA when the individual has a note from a doctor, therapist or psychiatrist stating there is a need for the animal.

On the plus side, at least she wasn't carrying a pig.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmemac View Post
I love dogs and I took mine many places. But not to the squares when they are busy and not to restaurants. In general as a courtesy I never took them where there was going to be a lot of people - a courtesy to the people and my dog.
Most dog lovers feel the same way.
A few inconsiderate people give the rest of us a bad name.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Hmmmmm!

Doesn't Toojay have outside seating.....Maybe, just maybe, that would have been tolerated a little easier.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
After reading all comments, I did some research, and here is the link to the ADA document for service animals. From what I read, we the other patrons and the facility owner/personnel would have no choice but to allow the person and their animal in. Full disclosure, I love cats.

This was interesting reading.

Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals
Old 04-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have never heard the term "Comfort Dog". Is that actually a "Service Animal"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
After reading all comments, I did some research, and here is the link to the ADA document for service animals. From what I read, we the other patrons and the facility owner/personnel would have no choice but to allow the person and their animal in. Full disclosure, I love cats.

This was interesting reading.

Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals
Old 04-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Email Reported As Spam

All I can envision is being seated and ready to dig into my meal and little Fido proceeds in a squat position....end of my meal...check please
Old 04-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
All I can envision is being seated and ready to dig into my meal and little Fido proceeds in a squat position....end of my meal...check please

Wait until it's not a dog, but a monkey, miniature pony, pig, etc that is brought into the restaurant - or even on a plane. The PC police at the ADA have recently approved additional animals.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.