The Nerve of Some People

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I have never heard the term "Comfort Dog". Is that actually a "Service Animal"??
That is what I got from the ADA document.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Unless there have been recent revisions, a comfort animal is not covered unless it is also an emotional support animal. Tricky and good luck differentiating. A comfort animal does not require a letter or note from a certified professional. It requires no training. An ES animal is trained to sense when it's master is becoming distressed or emotional and reacts accordingly. A CA simply makes the owner feel good and a declaration by the owner is sufficient to get a CA classification.

As to the animal not having to be a dog, blame the courts. It took a lawsuit to change from dog to animal. Not everything is the fault of PCness or even we liberals.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
All I can envision is being seated and ready to dig into my meal and little Fido proceeds in a squat position....end of my meal...check please

I knew you would have the best take on this.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

So, do CAs quality to be on an airplane, in restaurants, etc.??

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Unless there have been recent revisions, a comfort animal is not covered unless it is also an emotional support animal. Tricky and good luck differentiating. A comfort animal does not require a letter or note from a certified professional. It requires no training. An ES animal is trained to sense when it's master is becoming distressed or emotional and reacts accordingly. A CA simply makes the owner feel good and a declaration by the owner is sufficient to get a CA classification.

As to the animal not having to be a dog, blame the courts. It took a lawsuit to change from dog to animal. Not everything is the fault of PCness or even we liberals.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Sage

I agree you don't bring a dog in a restaurant. [seeing eye dogs, the exception]
I also would never buy a used mattress.

But when you think about it, if there is a dog in the house, and that's where you eat, isn't that the same?
And someone pointed out to me a little while ago that when you sleep in a hotel you are sleeping on a used mattress.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:40 PM

In Sonny's on Sunday I was utterly amazed to see a dog in a stroller and owner being shown to a table - I had to do a double take.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

I was watching a story on television on one of the nightly news shows about "Comfort Animals". The story was about one person who wished to travel on a plane and bring her dog with her. She didn't want her dog in the cargo hold, so she went on-line and found an organization, that, for a fee, gave her a certificate and a "Comfort Dog" harness so she could have her dog on the plane next to her. She didn't need to provide any documentation, medical or otherwise to prove that she needed a comfort animal. Only requirement was that her check for payment cleared.

Good thing it was a "Comfort Dog" and not a "Comfort Rhinoceros"
Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
So, do CAs quality to be on an airplane, in restaurants, etc.??
Technically, no but I'd be hard pressed to argue with someone about it if I were the manager. It is just too murky of a law and confidentiality makes it difficult. ES animals are to be treated the same as seeing eye dogs.

Also, ES animals do not have to have any special visible identification although most handlers do have vests or collars advising this is a working animal. ES animals are used primarily for persons with autism, vets suffering PTSD, agoraphobics and other mental illnesses where an animal can be of extreme benefit. As was pointed out, a CA requires nothing more than some money to get an online vest and certificate. The sad thing is that those skirting the law are creating extreme hardship for those who truly need these wonderful service animals.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Sage

If you cant beat them join them. Buy a bull mastiff, train him to attacking mops, order your online vest and take him to Too Jays for lunch.

Full disclosure: I am joking, I love dogs, despise cats, think little of rude people who have no medical issues and want to take their pets to dinner...would laugh my ass off watching a bull mastiff (Turner and Hooch) destroying the restaurant chasing that rude person's mop dog (schitsonyou).

Last edited by dirtbanker; 04-22-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
After reading all comments, I did some research, and here is the link to the ADA document for service animals. From what I read, we the other patrons and the facility owner/personnel would have no choice but to allow the person and their animal in. Full disclosure, I love cats.

This was interesting reading.

Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals
provided it was trained by qualified personnel to perform a specific service task, those who abuse the rules know they are doing it for selfish reasons. it's on them
Old 04-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Sage

From what I gather, an owner of a service or comfort animal doesn't need to prove any disability...there are many "services" on line that will register a dog just for a fee. I know someone who did that so their min pin could fly in the airplane cabin with them. Probably easier than getting a handicap sticker for a vehicle.

It appears the ADA law invites abuse.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

And a CA classification is something you can purchase on line with the animal having no special training. If people were not so concerned about the PC police I doubt the courts or the Internet vendors would get away with this. Please don't mistake my comments as being opposed to the appropriate recognition of handicapped status. My wife has MS and uses a 4 wheel walker. And she's tougher than I am - believe me.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
From what I gather, an owner of a service or comfort animal doesn't need to prove any disability...there are many "services" on line that will register a dog just for a fee. I know someone who did that so their min pin could fly in the airplane cabin with them. Probably easier than getting a handicap sticker for a vehicle.

Excellent analysis.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Sage

A service dog is required to have documentation. It can be a simply worded letter from a certified therapist stating that the animal is needed for emotional support. Anything more detailed would be in violation of the HIPPA laws. Again, a comfort animal is NOT qualified to be an emotional support animal although an emotional support animal may also be a comfort animal. Those who get the online certificates know they are frauds. What they don't understand is the harm they are doing to those who truly need ES animals -- they are being accused of the abuse perpetrated by these frauds and condemned and vilified because of it.

I sincerely wish that public domains would have the gumption to stand on their hind legs and demand to see proof that the dog is more than just something to pet. The ADA laws need to be properly enforced, whether it be handicapped parking, wheelchair access or ES dogs. Scofflaws should face very heavy fines and social ostracization. (Get the feeling I feel very strongly about this?)

Old 04-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post

Side note to this thread.
Is there a ADA expert on this forum ?
I would like to talk to one.
Not about a dog.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.