Of the new neighborhoods...

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

We just bought a new house in Silver Lake. We looked around the new Villages and felt that they are very remote. We felt that we'd really only have reasonable access to Brownwood by golf cart. The fact that there is no bond in Lady Lake also influenced our decision. We are very happy with our new home and neighborhood.

We didn't want to live out in the middle of nowhere.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 AM

Prior to moving to TV our previous house had numerous drainage and water in the crawl space issues. So far so good in the Gilchrist/Pinellas/Fernandina area and especially my lot. During heavy rains (3-4 inches in a few hours) I can see a river of water flowing in the back and the sides as it drains into the street. The water disappears in 30 minutes once the rain stops. So I'm happy that I don't have any standing water/drainage issues or a crawl space. And I think this area is now becoming more central to TV.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 AM

Something you may like..check out WWW.1012 hollyhockway.info

Last edited by don t; 09-03-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: missspelling
Old 09-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by don t View Post
Something you may like..check out WWW.1012 hollyhockway.info
It's not as interesting as you think.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Make sure you have a warranty claim "on record" with the warranty department before your year is out. They honored a warranty claim more than a year after our settlement date (although they did it kicking and screaming, metaphorically)
Oh, we definitely have a warranty claim "on record" as does every house on our street except for one. The majority of the neighborhood was a drainage nightmare to begin with, but they have put in french drains and other drainage systems on the blocks on either side of ours.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Scmuck here.

We love our new home (2012) below 466A.

No flooding but we do have insurance even if the pool overflows and water comes inside.

I suggest you check out Mount Dora for high area. Not quite as high as McKinley

But keep looking.

If you read my post correctly my house is at a higher elevation, but those at the lower are having drainage issues. Mount Dora is not on my agenda and Mt. McKinley no longer exists.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnygram View Post
Oh, we definitely have a warranty claim "on record" as does every house on our street except for one. The majority of the neighborhood was a drainage nightmare to begin with, but they have put in french drains and other drainage systems on the blocks on either side of ours.
Based on the posts on this thread, some are saying that the flooding issues are limited to the south of 466A. Didn't you just recently purchase in the Villages of St. James which is north of 466A?

Looks like 466A may not really be the dividing line between potential flooding and limited/no potential for flooding.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmi View Post
Based on the posts on this thread, some are saying that the flooding issues are limited to the south of 466A. Didn't you just recently purchase in the Villages of St. James which is north of 466A?

Looks like 466A may not really be the dividing line between potential flooding and limited/no potential for flooding.
There is the potential for flooding anywhere...given poor enough engineering.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:26 PM

Wait until this winter. Try finding a parking spot in Colony.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmi View Post

No, we purchased in St. James over 3 years ago, and had absolutely no problems. Moved to Hillsborough this year, and have a river through our yard each time it rains, and it takes days to dry out. You can see from the picture that the water gets up high enough to wash the bark out of the bed on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	YardFlood.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	54673  
Old 09-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Sage

Tamarind Grove no flooding issues at all, far away from major roads, keeps the heavy truck traffic to a minimum
Old 09-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
There have been posts on TOTV about mosquito problems in some of the new sections. Someone said that mosquito control spraying was not done in all the new sections.

I know that Bonifay Club outdoor bar has a bad fly problem. The manager told me that is because it was built on a former cattle field. Who knows?

To me, I find the well established areas a better buy. Negotiations on price, lower or no bond, no surprises about what is built, and mature landscaping are a few reasons.

I have always suggested having BOTH a Villages realtor and an MLS agent. Neither can show each other's homes. No need to be sneaky because they know savvy buyers do it.

Best of luck. You will be happy anywhere. But check out resales in established neighborhoods!
I actually worked with both, and told them up front that I was going to do this. they both immediately said they had no problem with this sort of arrangement. It is the only way to be exposed to virtually everything offered, except fsbo's.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Ooohh. A bit high on one's self are we?

It's not so obvious at all. If the developer cannot come up with a plan to handle the design storms, they will not get their permits. Of course you have to be aware of flood zones when you develop. That I will agree is obvious. But there's no "perhaps" about it...they either control the water or they don't develop the property.

You do know that higher elevations can flood, right? And lower elevations can handle drainage just fine. It's all in the engineering. The developer has done a very good job in that regard to this point. There is no reason to believe that the southern areas will be handled any less efficiently...even if the topography is a bit different.
I have seen plenty of "permitted" developments with flooding issues. If you buy in Florida, or anywhere else for that matter, looking at flood zone maps is prudent. If you choose to ignore the information, and instead assume that the county, developer, and various builders did everything correctly, then go for it. I'm with rickeyd on this; due diligence.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
For those of you who have toured around or investigated in the new neighborhoods which do you like the best? And why? I'm thinking about Dunedin, Labelle, Pine Ridge, Osceola Hills…I think that's about all.
Before you decide on a location, read the stickies regarding things to know before buying in TV. Trains, kissing lanais, neighborhood pools, proximity to activities, shopping, town centers, rec centers, being on the first hole of a golf course, electric grid towers, and about a hundred other things to consider.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Sage
Default Of the new neighborhoods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I have seen plenty of "permitted" developments with flooding issues. If you buy in Florida, or anywhere else for that matter, looking at flood zone maps is prudent. If you choose to ignore the information, and instead assume that the county, developer, and various builders did everything correctly, then go for it. I'm with rickeyd on this; due diligence.
Read my post again. I never said to ignore any information and I also advocate due diligence.

By the way, if it's not a "permitted development", it's an illegal development. So of course flooding occurs in permitted developments. That's where construction practices, engineering, and...yes...due diligence come into play.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighborhoods, dunedin, labelle, thinking, pine, hills…i, osceola, ridge, toured, investigated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.