Colony Blvd Golf Cart Crossing

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Gold member
Default Colony Blvd Golf Cart Crossing

The promised lights and signage to help at the golf cart crossing on Colony Blvd have been installed. I am going to be optimistic and hope that my first impression is wrong and that these "improvements" will help with the traffic issues.

So what is new are four signs, on either side of the roadway. The first two are prior to the cart crossing and show a golf cart and both say "Ahead". Located just before the crossing, again on both sides of the road, are two yellow flashing lighted signs with a golf cart picture.

I am struggling to understand how these might help the traffic flow at this intersection.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Sage
Default Stop sign needed

I have to agree. Flashing lights does nothing to control the flow of traffic. It just warns that there are carts in the area. Perhaps a four way stop sign would have been better?? The problem is that carts get way backed up on the paths because the area is so congested with traffic of cars and carts. At least a stop sign would give carts a chance to get on colony blvd so the cart path wouldn't get so backed up.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Sage

Okay and this will do what????
Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM

It's unlikely that traffic engineers will back up traffic on a main through street to allow traffic from a smaller feeder street or a multiple-modal path even if that feeder street is heavily trafficked.

That same traffic flow philosophy is evident throughout the villages:
Odessa trumps Stillwater...
St Charles trumps Southern Star...
Pinellas trumps Anna Maria....
and so on.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Dancing Thyme

I saw those lights last night and thought what the heck??? I'm no traffic engineer but I do know that area is a disaster waiting to happen. My plan that I started last year is to avoid that area as much as possible. I use the Publix at Southern Trace for shopping and IF I have to go to Colony, I drive around it to 466A and then turn at the gas station. That whole area was very poorly planned, IMHO.

But I think a 4 way stop would not be very prudent for the car situation as they would back up to Morse, I'm sure, and in the other direction as well causing even more of a traffic jam.

I think my idea is the best,,, I don't drive a cart... lol.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
I saw those lights last night and thought what the heck??? I'm no traffic engineer but I do know that area is a disaster waiting to happen. My plan that I started last year is to avoid that area as much as possible. I use the Publix at Southern Trace for shopping and IF I have to go to Colony, I drive around it to 466A and then turn at the gas station. That whole area was very poorly planned, IMHO.

But I think a 4 way stop would not be very prudent for the car situation as they would back up to Morse, I'm sure, and in the other direction as well causing even more of a traffic jam.

I think my idea is the best,,, I don't drive a cart... lol.
Seems to me they need a tunnel under the road and then when you turn east you merge into a golf cart lane. IMHO
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9027 View Post
Seems to me they need a tunnel under the road and then when you turn east you merge into a golf cart lane. IMHO
I'm pretty sue they'll never close that road long enough to make a tunnel
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Do I remember reading on this forum that they would put up stop and go lights after temporary signage there? Or am I dreaming?

Would the flashing lights be considered temporary signage?

Or am I having yet another senior moment?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Sage

Gracie - I hope you are remembering correctly 'cause what we have now isn't going to handle the situation.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
The promised lights and signage to help at the golf cart crossing on Colony Blvd have been installed. I am going to be optimistic and hope that my first impression is wrong and that these "improvements" will help with the traffic issues.

So what is new are four signs, on either side of the roadway. The first two are prior to the cart crossing and show a golf cart and both say "Ahead". Located just before the crossing, again on both sides of the road, are two yellow flashing lighted signs with a golf cart picture.

I am struggling to understand how these might help the traffic flow at this intersection.
disappointed.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Do I remember reading on this forum that they would put up stop and go lights after temporary signage there? Or am I dreaming?

Not positive here but I think the original idea was signs at the golf cart crossing and a traffic light at the intersection by Citizens Bank and Walgreens where vehicle traffic comes in from 466A.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I have to agree. Flashing lights does nothing to control the flow of traffic. It just warns that there are carts in the area. Perhaps a four way stop sign would have been better?? The problem is that carts get way backed up on the paths because the area is so congested with traffic of cars and carts. At least a stop sign would give carts a chance to get on colony blvd so the cart path wouldn't get so backed up.
The golf carts would find it easier to cross if cars would obey the 20mph speed limit. Most do not.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Platinum member

There appears to be a game of who can "make it" first! A few flashing lights won't bother them!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

You're spot-on with your recollection, Gracie!

Before everyone gets their collective shorts in a knot........... ...........here's the prior thread on the topic. See primarily post #3 by BogeyBoy:

New Traffic Light?

If it holds true, there should be a stop light installed at the cart crossing in the future. However, it reads as though there was going to have to be buy-in from the Project Wide Advisory Committee in order for that to happen. I do not know if that has taken place.

Bill
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Don't make this too difficult and don't over-think it. Simply dump your golf cart and use your auto when you want to use the services in and around Colony Plaza. Newly developing communities south of 466A have grown at an amazing pace. There is but one golf cart access from these communities to the Colony Plaza area. THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY OF A TRAFFIC LIGHT BEING INSTALLED AND VERY LITTLE POSSIBILITY OF A FOUR-WAY STOP BEING PUT IN PLACE. This is the best that it will be, so, embrace it as it is or change your method of transportation.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.