New Shopping Mall????

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default New Shopping Mall????

I used the Village Airport Van last night to get from the airport to my home here in TV, and during the ride there was a conversation about a new shopping mall which is supposed to be built on 44. Macy's and Dillards was mentioned. Has anyone heard anything definite about a mall coming to our area?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Platinum member

this news has been circulating for a while now. so far, it's only rumored, but it would be likely, since they've cleared all that land east of Powell Road with golf cart access and everything....wouldn't it be great to have a shopping area like The Loop in Orlando near John Young Parkway and Oceola Parkway?

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

I heard that the Wildwood town board approved a mall near the corner of 301 and 44. A few years ago I also read somewhere that Wildwood plans on building a community similar to Celebration. My thoughts are that when the Morse family finishes with TV they are going to build the new community. This is only speculation with no foundation.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

Probably rumors again and wishful thinking balloons floated by The Developer. Around the year 2000 The Developer was promoting Buffalo Ridge to be a major mall "even bigger and more beautiful" than Paddock Mall in Ocala, complete with artist sketches, potential stores, etc. All he ended up with was a Walmart and a few scattered buildings and lots of weedy open spaces.
Unfortunately, the target demographic of most large store retailers is not the one or two "mature person" household but is the 4-5 person younger and teenager family. Also, many large retailers will not tolerate the premiuum rental structure imposed in The Villages and believe they do not need a large mall to draw customers, as evidenced by all the national name stores located just off "the reservation".
Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Probably rumors again and wishful thinking balloons floated by The Developer. Around the year 2000 The Developer was promoting Buffalo Ridge to be a major mall "even bigger and more beautiful" than Paddock Mall in Ocala, complete with artist sketches, potential stores, etc. All he ended up with was a Walmart and a few scattered buildings and lots of weedy open spaces.
Yes, it's very sad about the area across from the Charter School. I love to go to the Bealls up there, but it seems so lonely without more stores. All that open space certainly looks like a good spot for shopping and specialty stores.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Gold member

For the life of me I cannot understand why we need more stores. People cannot even figure what to give for Christmas anymore. That is why gift cards are so prevalent. Due to the demographics and particularly income levels, I doubt a Mall Developer would find it attractive to move here.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Sage

Apparently, you and I aren't the only ones thinking this way. A barbed wire fence has been put around the land at 44 and Powell rd, and there are cattle there.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why we need more stores.
I totally agree. The newspaper before Christmas contained more ad flyers from local stores than news. Yes, there are open spaces in the Buffalo Ridge area. Actually buffalo used to roam there! Now we have some cows. In my humble opinion, open fields are much preferable to wall-to-wall stores!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

First off it bugs me that people denigrate the developer for NOT building more stores so that we can shop till we drop. I would love to keep the open spaces we have now. Instead of shopping let's provide space for migrating birds and the wildlife that was displaced building TV. Personally seeing white pelicans or an eagle soar is far more exciting than shopping. There is first class shopping only one hour away in Orlando and the crime that comes along with it.

Last edited by duffysmom; 12-30-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why we need more stores. People cannot even figure what to give for Christmas anymore. That is why gift cards are so prevalent. Due to the demographics and particularly income levels, I doubt a Mall Developer would find it attractive to move here.
I don't think Malls are just for Christmas?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

There has been no new malls built in this country for almost 10 years. There have been remodels and repurposed malls/shopping centers but nothing built from the ground up. For a regional mall to be successful there must be a huge demographic drawing from great distances. We simply do not have the diversified and critical mass population to support something of that magnitude in The Villages. The only site worth considering would be something off I-75 or where 75 meets the turnpike. The labor force to staff such an enterprise would be mind-boggling. Malls are open many, many hours, not to mention the additional hours at holiday times.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Why Antrim Dells

I saw a plot plan of a new shopping center in the brownswood area that is called Antrim Dells. You may want to access this URL.
As for whether we need more shopping, if you live near 466a you would find that we are very limited for retail stores and they are all very far away. We have to drive 10 mins to pick up something we need at the grocery. We have to drive 25 mins to Kohls, Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, etc. In a golf cart you can double that time. We spend way too much time in the car and way too much money on gas since the only gas station down here is usually 5-10 cents higher per gallon since they have no competition.I wonder how you would feel if you were in this situation? Sweetbay and Publix will both have stores there which will cut our time in half and hopefully take some of the pressure off the stores at Colony Plaza. The Publix there does a million dollars of business per week and anyone who has ever shopped there can tell you what a zoo it is getting through the store. It is way over crowded, under stocked (probably due to the volume,) and does not have anywhere the selection the Publix stores on 441 have.
I guess the "nefarious" developer is answering some of the request from the people near 446A.
Like it or not, TV has become a medium sized town and the people in that town ALL need their needs met. IMHO maybe when we post here we should consider that there are many need other than our own.
Have a Happy New Year dear Villagers.
Here is a URL you might enjoy Brownwood Paddock Square

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
First off it bugs me that people denigrate the developer for NOT building more stores so that we can shop till we drop. I would love to keep the open spaces we have now. Instead of shopping let's provide space for migrating birds and the wildlife that was displaced building TV. Personally seeing white pelicans or an eagle sore is far more exciting than shopping. There is first class shopping only one hour away in Orlando and the crime that comes along with it.
As long as people contemplating moving to The Villages understand that to get to first class shopping you have to drive 65 miles each way. This might be different from what people are accustomed to back home.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
There has been no new malls built in this country for almost 10 years. There have been remodels and repurposed malls/shopping centers but nothing built from the ground up. For a regional mall to be successful there must be a huge demographic drawing from great distances. We simply do not have the diversified and critical mass population to support something of that magnitude in The Villages. The only site worth considering would be something off I-75 or where 75 meets the turnpike. The labor force to staff such an enterprise would be mind-boggling. Malls are open many, many hours, not to mention the additional hours at holiday times.
Not true here are two new malls being built from the ground up within 5 miles of each other both opening in 2013 plus they are within 3 miles of an ongoing Chesterfield Mall Chesterfield Mayor Voices Concern Over Dual Outlet Malls - Chesterfield, MO Patch
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,543 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I used the Village Airport Van last night to get from the airport to my home here in TV, and during the ride there was a conversation about a new shopping mall which is supposed to be built on 44. Macy's and Dillards was mentioned. Has anyone heard anything definite about a mall coming to our area?
It's going to next to the monorail .......

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.