» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
New Shopping Mall????
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Gold member

Default New Shopping Mall????

I used the Village Airport Van last night to get from the airport to my home here in TV, and during the ride there was a conversation about a new shopping mall which is supposed to be built on 44. Macy's and Dillards was mentioned. Has anyone heard anything definite about a mall coming to our area?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Gold member

this news has been circulating for a while now. so far, it's only rumored, but it would be likely, since they've cleared all that land east of Powell Road with golf cart access and everything....wouldn't it be great to have a shopping area like The Loop in Orlando near John Young Parkway and Oceola Parkway?

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 AM

I heard that the Wildwood town board approved a mall near the corner of 301 and 44. A few years ago I also read somewhere that Wildwood plans on building a community similar to Celebration. My thoughts are that when the Morse family finishes with TV they are going to build the new community. This is only speculation with no foundation.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Probably rumors again and wishful thinking balloons floated by The Developer. Around the year 2000 The Developer was promoting Buffalo Ridge to be a major mall "even bigger and more beautiful" than Paddock Mall in Ocala, complete with artist sketches, potential stores, etc. All he ended up with was a Walmart and a few scattered buildings and lots of weedy open spaces.
Unfortunately, the target demographic of most large store retailers is not the one or two "mature person" household but is the 4-5 person younger and teenager family. Also, many large retailers will not tolerate the premiuum rental structure imposed in The Villages and believe they do not need a large mall to draw customers, as evidenced by all the national name stores located just off "the reservation".
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Probably rumors again and wishful thinking balloons floated by The Developer. Around the year 2000 The Developer was promoting Buffalo Ridge to be a major mall "even bigger and more beautiful" than Paddock Mall in Ocala, complete with artist sketches, potential stores, etc. All he ended up with was a Walmart and a few scattered buildings and lots of weedy open spaces.
Yes, it's very sad about the area across from the Charter School. I love to go to the Bealls up there, but it seems so lonely without more stores. All that open space certainly looks like a good spot for shopping and specialty stores.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM

For the life of me I cannot understand why we need more stores. People cannot even figure what to give for Christmas anymore. That is why gift cards are so prevalent. Due to the demographics and particularly income levels, I doubt a Mall Developer would find it attractive to move here.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Apparently, you and I aren't the only ones thinking this way. A barbed wire fence has been put around the land at 44 and Powell rd, and there are cattle there.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why we need more stores.
I totally agree. The newspaper before Christmas contained more ad flyers from local stores than news. Yes, there are open spaces in the Buffalo Ridge area. Actually buffalo used to roam there! Now we have some cows. In my humble opinion, open fields are much preferable to wall-to-wall stores!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Platinum member

First off it bugs me that people denigrate the developer for NOT building more stores so that we can shop till we drop. I would love to keep the open spaces we have now. Instead of shopping let's provide space for migrating birds and the wildlife that was displaced building TV. Personally seeing white pelicans or an eagle soar is far more exciting than shopping. There is first class shopping only one hour away in Orlando and the crime that comes along with it.

Last edited by duffysmom; 12-30-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why we need more stores. People cannot even figure what to give for Christmas anymore. That is why gift cards are so prevalent. Due to the demographics and particularly income levels, I doubt a Mall Developer would find it attractive to move here.
I don't think Malls are just for Christmas?
Closed Thread