New villages south of Rt. 44 able to vote on issues within the villages?

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
As long as a proportional number of amenities and shopping are built to absorb the newcomers.
I absolutely agree, but as they've continued to expand, shopping centers and recreation facilities continue to expand in each area. I have no reason to believe so far that that will change.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:13 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

You may not be able to drive your golf cart but there are many places outside the bubble where you can shop. The Squares are open to the public and you don't have to shop there.

I am familiar with company stores and so called company towns. My father and grandfather were coalminers in Kentucky and southern Illinois. I can see where you might draw some similarities to The Villages but in my opinion this place is far from being a company town and far from having so called company stores. Miners in the 1920's thru the early 1950's suffered from poor working conditions affecting their health and welfare plus wages that were so bad that they were unable to provide adequately for their families. The Villages is the economic engine for this area and is far from being the company town or company store of the past IMHO.

The income of the "inmates" choosing to live here in The Villages is well above the average for adults age 55 and above. Many worked hard and bypassed instant gratification to obtain the village lifestyle. Indeed, we are a fortunate group but it was well earned. Fore!
Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Understand

I also understand "Company Towns" as I also lived in one and was raised for a part of my life in Western Pennsylvania and went to college in the Steel Plants areas. As I had said The Villages is the modern day upscale like Company Town. The houses are much better but in some area all look alike, allegedly the Owner/Developer gets a portion of the Businesses who want to do business in the town, the political structure is a creation that supports the Owner/Developer, the residents have only partial say in their ability to control the actions in The Villages, etc etc. As I have said, we really like the Villages and will be "Frogs" however that does not detract from what it is.There are big differences. In the old PA Company Town the residents were very poor and were able to survive through the Mine Owner. That of course is not the case in The Villages but the Owner/Developer still has a major say in your on going economics and to deny that is kind of like being an Ostrich.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, residents, pools, issues, south

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.