News from the Fenney bus riders

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2017, 09:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
...Actual secure gates would be a very attractive feature.
That's a matter of opinion.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Obviously, you missed my point. We do have an open gate policy because it doesn't keep anyone out. Call it what you will, but it's not secure! If the roads through Finney are not county roads, then possibly they could utilize true gates that are only for the residents and not just anybody who drives up like we have here now. I understand the reasoning about our "county roads", etc. but currently ours are open to everybody, and there is no security involved. Actual secure gates would be a very attractive feature.
There is no doubt about true gated community being an attractive feature.

But also know the amenity fees would be going up substantially to apply the appropriate security in a true gated mode.

In addition there would be a substantial slow down of the flow of traffic as there would be the process of validating non villages residents.

We lived in a true gated community. 100% loved it. It was not a community with hundreds of thousands of homes and the support traffic required. If your name was not on the list at the guard shack as authorized by a resident you were not allowed access.

So as the saying goes be careful what you wish for and know and understand the consequences.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:10 AM
Sage

I believe you missed my point, which was we have county roads so there are no "gates". You can't have a "policy" when the roads are owned by the county. There is no "security" so I am not sure why you even made reference to that. Forget about the gates - they are only there to keep cars from colliding with golf cart at the entrances/exits to the neighborhoods. If you want a gated community, where you own the road and can control who uses them, look elsewhere.

Quote:
Obviously, you missed my point. We do have an open gate policy because it doesn't keep anyone out. Call it what you will, but it's not secure! If the roads through Finney are not county roads, then possibly they could utilize true gates that are only for the residents and not just anybody who drives up like we have here now. I understand the reasoning about our "county roads", etc. but currently ours are open to everybody, and there is no security involved. Actual secure gates would be a very attractive feature.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:16 AM
Sage

In a gated community, you are also responsible for road maintenance so you will have to pay an additional annual fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

But also know the amenity fees would be going up substantially to apply the appropriate security in a true gated mode.

In addition there would be a substantial slow down of the flow of traffic as there would be the process of validating non villages residents.

We lived in a true gated community. 100% loved it. It was not a community with hundreds of thousands of homes and the support traffic required. If your name was not on the list at the guard shack as authorized by a resident you were not allowed access.

So as the saying goes be careful what you wish for and know and understand the consequences.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage

Went yesterday to Fenney and here what I took away from it:
1. Continue on Morse Blvd south and it becomes 468 when you cross 44.
2. It's 3.7 miles to Fenney from 44.
3. There are building south to north, coming closer to 44, as opposed to the way the rest of TV was built, (north to south),
4. Designer homes were beautiful and some patio villas were really nice.
5. It seems to me that it will be a self-contained type of village with a more rural feel, as it seems segregated from the main campus. I'm sure in time, there will be shopping and other facilities that will make some people not want to leave.
6. There will be no access across 44 for golf carts.
7. You can't even use your own golf carts to go on the courses. You will need to drive your car and rent a golf cart for $3 per person.
8 They will be no access to the turnpike built by the developer as it is the jurisdiction of the DOT.
8. The guide indicated there may be another square built but it will be round.
9. They have 300 homes sold already.
10. The work so far has been completed in 9 months.
11. It will be open after March 31st and one can use their gate access card to peruse area. Obviously, if one wants to see homes, they will have to be with an agent.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Our guide said they would rent for $3.00, which seems like a good deal considering the miles involved, even if there is a tunnel under 44 at some time.
I think the carts being rented are for use on the courses at Fenney only, not to run around the countryside with.

Quote:
True, the road out there passes by several run-down houses and some appeared vacant already with old trucks and farm implements parked in the yards. I suspect those places are owned by very happy people who feel like they have just "won the lottery" with this new development.
It would not surprise me at all if those properties that "won the lottery" were bought by The Villages.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
3. There are building south to north, coming closer to 44, as opposed to the way the rest of TV was built, (north to south),
Makes sense, building from the most southern point back towards the rest of TV and all the land they are currently acquiring.

Quote:
6. There will be no access across 44 for golf carts.
Yet.

Quote:
7. You can't even use your own golf carts to go on the courses. You will need to drive your car and rent a golf cart for $3 per person.
If you live in Fenney, you can use your own cart. The reason for the $3.00 carts is so Villagers that live outside of Fenney can rent them to use on the courses, just like there will be $3.00 carts available at other Villages golf courses for Fenney residents to rent so they can play the existing courses.

Quote:
8 They will be no access to the turnpike built by the developer as it is the jurisdiction of the DOT.
There will be tremendous pressure put on the state to build this interchange by the developer
Old 03-16-2017, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Actually you are not 100% correct on your post.

The community that you lived in more than likely had a individually owned restaurant...not owned by the residents a visitor has every right to go to that establishment.

Next again " If " you had a golf course a visitor could make a "T" time and do whatever in the community..same pretext as the restaurant. Gated communities are certainly better than what the Villages has but at best 75%
Old 03-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post

The community that you lived in more than likely had a individually owned restaurant...not owned by the residents a visitor has every right to go to that establishment.

Next again " If " you had a golf course a visitor could make a "T" time and do whatever in the community..same pretext as the restaurant. Gated communities are certainly better than what the Villages has but at best 75%
Not really. They just put a private country club in the gated community, the only members are residents, and the golf course, clubhouse and restaurant/bar are members only. No outside patronage at all.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post

Oh but I am 100% correct.
Yes there was a very fine restaurant in the country club; Resident equity ownership club.
There were two top pro golfers designed 36 holes....members only.
Marina with restaurant...another resident equity ownership with a restaurant.....residents only.

100% gated without a residents OK one does not gain access.

A 75% gated community is a little better than TV but still not a gated community in the strictest sense of the intent.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My parents retired in 1983 in Timber Pines when they broke ground, that's in Spring Hill, Florida about 60 miles SW of here near Weeki Wachee Springs on the Gulf Coast. I mention this because of the posts about gated communities and public vs private roads and to show this can be done without large fees. If it had not been for TV, this is where I probably would be living. I grew up in St. Petersburg and my parents lived in Timber Pines for about 20 years of their retirement.

Timber Pines is comprised of about 3550 homes in 57 Villages (remember they started in '83) and the 2000 census was just under 6,000 people. They are a gated community with a privacy wall completely around the development with two manned entry gates. The monthly amenity fee is $179 and this includes the security and all the ground maintenance.

They have an 18 hole championship course which is 6300 yards (just slightly longer than the blue tees here) and is $14 to $22 depending on the time of day and using you're own cart. There is also two 18 hole executive courses that are 3400 and 3600 yards and a 9 hole pitch and putt of 600 yards and they are all no charge for a one time yearly membership fee of $135.

Timber Pines Community Association - Timber Pines Community Association Home

Timber Pines Community Association - Timber Pines Community Association Amenities and Activities

The Villages Florida

Homes prices are about what you would find at Stonecrest or Del Webb, about $200K will get you a very nice single family home. Here's a golf course frontage home on the market now for $174K. The development finished build out around 2000, so Timber Pines is as big as it will ever be. There are realtor sites dedicated to Timber Pines just like TV, you'll have a selection of resales on the market at any one time.

After Timber Pines was finished, the developer built Heritage Pines which is just a couple of miles further south on the Hernando/Pasco County Line. It is also gated, they have slightly newer homes built in the 2000's but only have one 18 hole championship course. Prices in Heritage Pines are similar, many good choices in the $100's and low $200's.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 03-21-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
bus, riders, fenney, news

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.