News for New Areas South

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2016, 06:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is it possible for you to ascertain from the page displayed by Two Plane just what Zone the new area called Finney is in? As I said before, it appears that every place in the United States is in "The Fema 100 year Flood Plane" but that doesn't mean that all are in elevated danger of flooding.
My previous home, on a bayou, was not in the 100 year flood zone. It was in the 500 year flood zone.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I just looked at the 100 year flood zone map for Sumter County. If I read the map right, there are a few dozen TV homes that are in the flood zone. Most are in the new villages around Lake Deaton. Some blocks/clusters of homes are in the flood zone. If I had the correct location, part of the Finney property is in the flood zone.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I just looked at the 100 year flood zone map for Sumter County. If I read the map right, there are a few dozen TV homes that are in the flood zone. Most are in the new villages around Lake Deaton. Some blocks/clusters of homes are in the flood zone. If I had the correct location, part of the Finney property is in the flood zone.
Reading the map right, or at all seems to be the obstacle here. My goal is to quell rumors and to calm fears, just because I dislike worry mongers. I feel that the enormous amount of knowledge from building here in this area and the enormous quantities of land available would give choices to anyone looking to build.

What level of danger do you ascertain from your map reading, Outlaw?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
For a majority of people, what really matters is whether you are in a "lettered" zone that requires you to carry flood insurance if you have a mortgage.
Thank you biker1. Can you figure out if the new area in Finney is such a place?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Reading the map right, or at all seems to be the obstacle here. My goal is to quell rumors and to calm fears, just because I dislike worry mongers. I feel that the enormous amount of knowledge from building here in this area and the enormous quantities of land available would give choices to anyone looking to build.

What level of danger do you ascertain from your map reading, Outlaw?
Since I am not in the 100 year flood zone, I feel pretty safe, flood-wise. Sinkholes; lightning strikes? That's another story. One person's "worry" is another person's information gathering. I like all information; facts, history, projections, rumors, opinions. It's all information that helps me to better understand my risks. If you don't like it, or it bothers you, just quit reading the thread. But why continue to harp on other people and label them (worry mongers?) just because they want to discuss subjects that you are uncomfortable with?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Since I am not in the 100 year flood zone, I feel pretty safe, flood-wise. Sinkholes; lightning strikes? That's another story. One person's "worry" is another person's information gathering. I like all information; facts, history, projections, rumors, opinions. It's all information that helps me to better understand my risks. If you don't like it, or it bothers you, just quit reading the thread. But why continue to harp on other people and label them (worry mongers?) just because they want to discuss subjects that you are uncomfortable with?
Just tryin' to hep. I have witnessed people stirring trouble on this forum for many years and it ****es me off. Unless it is me doin' it.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-11-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Sage

My understanding goes back a few years from when we bought property and built a house in the AE10 zone.

Essentially, if you are in the 100 year flood plane then you are required to have flood insurance if you have a mortgage. I think that is mostly correct. The 100 year figure is somewhat arbitrary as it could have easily been the 90 year or 110 year flood plane. The number actually represents a probability of experiencing flooding - 1% per year. You can be just outside the 100 year flood plane and have essentially the same risk as someone just inside the 100 year flood plane. I guess they had to draw a line somewhere.

Within the 100 year flood plane there are areas of minimal risk and unknown risk, as well as other levels of risk. The flood insurance premiums will reflect the risk, as designated by the "letter" zoning, and can vary significantly. I suspect the area in Finney is probably minimal risk. The "lettered" zone can probably be found with some internet digging or a few well placed phone calls. I haven't seen the actually property but unless it borders a river that overflows its banks on a regular basis or is in very low lying land I doubt it will be of any real concern, except that the home owner may be on the hook for $300+ a year in flood insurance premiums.

So, that is my understanding from previous experience and research. Perhaps things have changed a bit over the last 10+ years. Please post if I am off base.

Quote:
Thank you biker1. Can you figure out if the new area in Finney is such a place?

Last edited by biker1; 05-11-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
My understanding goes back a few years from when we bought property and built a house in the AE10 zone.

Essentially, if you are in the 100 year flood plane then you are required to have flood insurance if you have a mortgage. I think that is mostly correct. The 100 year figure is somewhat arbitrary as it could have easily been the 90 year or 110 year flood plane. The number actually represents a probability of experiencing flooding - 1% per year. You can be just outside the 100 year flood plane and have essentially the same risk as someone just inside the 100 year flood plane. I guess they had to draw a line somewhere.

Within the 100 year flood plane there are areas of minimal risk and unknown risk, as well as other levels of risk. The flood insurance premiums will reflect the risk, as designated by the "letter" zoning, and can vary significantly. I suspect the area in Finney is probably minimal risk. The "lettered" zone can probably be found with some internet digging or a few well placed phone calls. I haven't seen the actually property but unless it boards a river that overflows its banks on a regular basis or is in very low lying land I doubt it will be of any real concern, except that the home owner may be on the hook for $300+ a year in flood insurance premiums.

So, that is my understanding from previous experience and research. Perhaps things have changed a bit over the last 10+ years. Please post if I am off base.
Yes. It has changed big time! In Tampa, I was told by residents that their flood insurance premiums were getting ready to increase to $30,000 per year! I had a hard time believing this number. But he was pretty knowledgeable and I knew him as someone who really did his research. I know a man that lived on Paradise Island? on the water in a $million+ home, who sold it last year because the flood insurance premiums were going to skyrocket. I'm sure there are a lot of articles in the Tampa tribune. Maybe Carl of Tampa can chime in?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Sage

What I meant by "change" was the overall situation as to who has to have flood insurance, if they have a mortgage, and the fact that areas are designated by letters that reflect the risk. Tampa is most likely in a very high risk area and the flood insurance premiums, as they have always, reflects the risk. Areas of minimal risk can still get policies starting at around $300 ish per year. When I quoted that number it was in the context of Finney (which was what my post was in reference to), which I believe is a low risk area, not some arbitrary high risk area on the coast (which is not the issue being discussed). I believe residential flood insurance is limited to $250K on the structure.

Quote:
Yes. It has changed big time! In Tampa, I was told by residents that their flood insurance premiums were getting ready to increase to $30,000 per year! I had a hard time believing this number. But he was pretty knowledgeable and I knew him as someone who really did his research. I know a man that lived on Paradise Island? on the water in a $million+ home, who sold it last year because the flood insurance premiums were going to skyrocket. I'm sure there are a lot of articles in the Tampa tribune. Maybe Carl of Tampa can chime in?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
What I meant by "change" was the overall situation as to who has to have flood insurance, if they have a mortgage, and the fact that areas are designated by letters that reflect the risk. Tampa is most likely in a very high risk area and the flood insurance premiums, as they have always, reflects the risk. Areas of minimal risk can still get policies starting at around $300 ish per year. When I quoted that number it was in the context of Finney (which was what my post was in reference to), which I believe is a low risk area, not some arbitrary high risk area on the coast (which is not the issue being discussed). I believe residential flood insurance is limited to $250K on the structure.
I think there is something going on in the legislature to try and work this for residents. I think, now, you can buy private flood insurance. One thing I thought was interesting; when I researched FEMA flood insurance years ago, the coverage was limited to $250,000. After hurricane Opal?, people I knew, who had their house destroyed, could only recover $250K. The cost to rebuild above $250K was on them.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Sage

Yes, I always found the $250K limit on a residential structure to be a bit odd.

Quote:
I think there is something going on in the legislature to try and work this for residents. I think, now, you can buy private flood insurance. One thing I thought was interesting; when I researched FEMA flood insurance years ago, the coverage was limited to $250,000. After hurricane Opal?, people I knew, who had their house destroyed, could only recover $250K. The cost to rebuild above $250K was on them.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Just tryin' to hep. I have witnessed people stirring trouble on this forum for many years and it ****es me off.
But..."stirring trouble" is from your perspective. I still don't understand why you try so hard to control the dialogue to suit your perception of what is acceptable discussion. Diversity of opinions and topics is what makes a forum interesting. Maybe don't look so hard for underlying/hidden agendas, and take comments at face value until proven otherwise. It's a much more productive way to participate in a forum. You like to post things you like about TV. That's great. I also read the Daily Sun when I want to feel good and cozy. Other people like to post about things they don't like about TV. That's their prerogative. Many people want to discuss the good AND the bad of TV. Shutting down other people's opinions is not conducive to good communication.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Yes, I always found the $250K limit on a residential structure to be a bit odd.
It probably has to do with congress setting some amount that would protect 90% of homeowners 30 yrs ago, or a way to limit liability.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
But..."stirring trouble" is from your perspective. I still don't understand why you try so hard to control the dialogue to suit your perception of what is acceptable discussion. Diversity of opinions and topics is what makes a forum interesting. Maybe don't look so hard for underlying/hidden agendas, and take comments at face value until proven otherwise. It's a much more productive way to participate in a forum. You like to post things you like about TV. That's great. I also read the Daily Sun when I want to feel good and cozy. Other people like to post about things they don't like about TV. That's their prerogative. Many people want to discuss the good AND the bad of TV. Shutting down other people's opinions is not conducive to good communication.
Excellent advice, but that isn't how I am wired. I taught young children for decades and my first reaction is to find and mention the good. I also was raised by a strict family in the Midwest and that makes me sound kinder than I am.

I don't mind a good debate but I don't like a lot of slinging around glittering generalities and half truths and thinly disguised negativity based on jealousy of the Morses. Or just plain trouble making by folks who enjoy that kind of stuff. Let us agree that you be you and I will be me.................lying in wait.......for you my pretty and your little dog too.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Does anyone notice a large area that is similar in both pictures? Guess what that is.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	floodfenney.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	59676  
Closed Thread

Tags
south, tvs, news, areas, talk, east, open, rec, belle, lands, leesburg, river, hidden, glade, northern, month, moving, closing, developed, brownwood, claims, wait, land, seek, universe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.