No Smoking in your own Car

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Sage

People should be able to smoke, when alone in a car, Smoking when other people or children, in the car, is offensive. Whatever happened to courtesy and consideration? IMHO

Reminds me of when I was young and asked my father to put a crack in the window and he informed me that I could get out, and walk, as he refused my request.

Some new laws are going too far with certain restrictions, of personal freedom. How about people just using some common sense, when it affects others personal freedom. Sometimes, laws are passed, trying to correct something that has been sooooooo wrong in the past, and the pendulum swing tooooooooo far to the other side. IMHO

Back to not smoking in a car, with minor children!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts
Post Different Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
OP should gave mentioned that from the get go.
The law regarding smoking in your car with a minor is a different proposed law that is still in Committee and not yet approved or signed by the Governor.

The law I posted was the "Illinois Smoke Free Campus Act" and was signed into law by the Governor on August 17, 2014. Included in the law is a provision to allow Universities within Illinois to prohibit smoking in your private vehicle and also while traveling in your car on University property. The UI at Springfield has approved No smoking in your private car while parked on campus or while traveling on University property while in your private car.

I think this goes a bit far IMHO.

Last edited by justjim; 06-30-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The law regarding smoking in your car with a minor is a different proposed law that is still in Committee and not yet approved or signed by the Governor.

The law I posted was the "Illinois Smoke Free Campus Act" and was signed into law by the Governor on August 17, 2014. Included in the law is a provision to allow Universities within Illinois to prohibit smoking in your private vehicle and also while traveling in your car on University property. The UI at Springfield has approved No smoking in your private car while on campus or while traveling on University property while in your private car.

I think this goes a bit far IMHO.
If one wants to stink up their car, burn holes in their upholstery, and lessen the resale value of their car they should be able to. The only thing that I object to is the most common way of disposing the butt is to flick it out the window. But I see your point and sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

If no smoking at all is allowed on campus grounds, I would expect that to include anyone driving or sitting in their car on campus. They're still on campus.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Illinois has passed a law to prohibit smoking in your own private vehicle. Although not new (hospitals have prohibited this already) the law prohibits you smoking even while riding in your own vehicle through any public university property in the State. Coming next----while riding down the highway or on your own property?

Is this a critical hit against people's personal liberty? The governments attempt to regulate personal behavior seems to be more and more troubling IMHO.
You need to reread the law. It specifically excludes privately owned vehicles travelling on campus. In other words, it is legal to smoke in your car while travelling on campus.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Veteran member

How are the Government(s) going to replace the lost tax revenue they earn on cigarettes.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
So true. Many law enforcements are becoming laughable. I was told on THIS forum a couple of years ago that older older people were more rule oriented than younger older people. OUCH!
Oh no!! I think you may have used some "hate speech."
I think a few weeks of sensitivity training is in order.
I would think 10 lashes with a wet noodle is appropriate... but someone might suggest a Chinese noodle and we're back where we started.
Well, as long as people are getting crazy...

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 06-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
How are the Government(s) going to replace the lost tax revenue they earn on cigarettes.

I'm sure they will figure something out. [emoji35]
Old 06-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
You need to reread the law. It specifically excludes privately owned vehicles travelling on campus. In other words, it is legal to smoke in your car while travelling on campus.
Chicken: You are correct regarding this legislation as it does exempt your car while traveling on campus. However, apparently the University has the right under Illinois law to go further as the UI Springfield campus has issued a statement printed in the local newspaper that beginning July 1, 2016 smoking will no longer be allowed in vehicles parked OR TRAVELING through the University Illinois Springfield Campus. Perhaps they have no authority to do this?

I'm not sure what the difference would be if you were parked and smoking or driving around campus and smoking. Seems we are "splitting hairs". Either way, alone in a vehicle, the only person harmed is you.

Enforcement should be interesting. Maybe smoking in your golf cart will be illegal soon?
Old 06-30-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
The law only applies when minors are in the car.

Committee Approves Bill to Ban Smoking in Cars With Minors | NBC Chicago
This used to bother me when I'd ride with my (smoker) Dad as a kid, but no government intervention was needed to solve it. I'd just open the window. Just sayin ...
--
bc
Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcronin View Post
This used to bother me when I'd ride with my (smoker) Dad as a kid, but no government intervention was needed to solve it. I'd just open the window. Just sayin ...
--
bc
If they would let you....in my case, I just joined him (but only for 49 years)!!
Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

It would appear it is apparent humanity needs others to legislate every thing about their life. After all ever law passed has always helped and has never been broken. What a utopian society.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

IMO IL needs to figure out how spend below the budget they collect from they're outrageous taxes in that state beings they are on the verge of bankruptcy. That's the problems they need to to be working On instead of this smoke screen.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO IL needs to figure out how spend below the budget they collect from they're outrageous taxes in that state beings they are on the verge of bankruptcy. That's the problems they need to to be working On instead of this smoke screen.
I am excited to agree with you. The State of Illinois has yet to agree on a balanced budget and they owe the retirement systems some 100 Billion dollars and each year (similar to the Federal Government) they continue to "kick the can down the road". It's disgraceful.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Government gone wild!
Closed Thread

Tags
smoking, vehicle, personal, property, riding, law, hit, peoples, illinois, critical, highway, liberty, attempt, car, troubling, imho, next----while, regulate, behavior, governments, state, prohibited, passed, hospitals, private

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.