Noise from neighbors lanai

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 AM

We have a noisy neighbor that rents same time every year, from what I've been told. Not acceptable when the noise goes past a certain hour. Love the response from Fred53...great advice. Thank you
Old 02-20-2017, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

I would probably ask in a friendly way and if no response I would ask again in a friendly way and if no response I would get the loudest speakers I could find and aim at their lanai and play all night long and let the war begin.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

While I agree with those that say it is better to try and talk to the neighbor before involving the authorities, I also recognize that some people aren't as comfortable talking to their neighbors face-to-face (not a problem with me )...and taking the chance of a confrontation.

A possible solution to that, might be to send them a letter anonymously.

You could nicely state something along the lines of... "you may not be aware of it, but there are times when you and your guests voices carry a long distance and can be heard from several homes over." "We're not sure if your closer neighbors have complained, but we thought it was the friendly thing to do to make you aware of it."

While this may not fool the neighbors and they may still know that it came from you, there might be enough doubt that you can keep the peace when you see them in person.

Just a thought, before you have to take more formal actions.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:56 AM

What I would do if it were me is this:

1. I would go over and introduce myself. Make small talk about how you love the new area and all the great things about living here and the Villages in general. You folks seem like you enjoy it here too(I hear you laughing) and you seem like you like to have fun. It always nice to have good neighbors. We were wondering if you would like to come over for a barbeque? If they agree pick a date right then.

2. I would then invite them plus some of the surrounding neighbors over for drinks and whatever food wise (couple weeks later).

3. For MOST PEOPLE they might be more considerate if they are somewhat friends (I use that word loosely).

4. I always say that you can't expect someone to change their behavior if you haven't told them how you want them to change it(even if they should know without being told)---sooo if you still don't see an improvement you will feel more comfortable gently letting them know that with their patio being up higher their voices really carry etc.

5. If that doesn't work and they are just rude people that really don't have any consideration for you, you have been a good neighbor and gone about everything in a respectful way so then you can follow the other suggestions.

That is how I would handle it. To me I would rather have them friends vs. enemies.(if possible) and if you just call and complain they will know it is you because you are new to the neighborhood----and you didn't even give them a chance to correct the problem.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

And if by some chance all this tip toeing works out for you SURPRISE ! The average new Villager moves 2 -3 times. You will get to start the process all over again. So ask yourself who should move first ? Worse yet what if they decide to rent their home when they buy a new one - new neighbors all the time. Kissing lanai's - Kiss of death.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 PM

As Judge Judy says, "Memorialize it." Video or audio the disturbance as proof so that you have something to show to authorities. Civility on your part is important,, even when the neighbor are not civil. That helps your cause. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
We recently moved to a new neighborhood, on a nature preserve for the quiet and nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Kissing lanai's - Kiss of death.
I don't think this is a Kissing Lanai situation, perhaps it is.
I find it confusing that the OP backs on a nature preserve, yet has a lanai behind her.
Perhaps it's the property to the right or left of the OP's home, in which case I'd hire landscapers to plant a tall hedge.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-20-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default First be a friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It all depends if you want to live in peace or in chaos and always feel uncomfortable. I say take your time, be kind and nice, get to know them and sooner or later the subject will come up and then it can be resolved. A confrontation is not the way.. nor is calling the authorities.
Gracie, as usual a wise and well thought out reply to the problem,
Old 02-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It all depends if you want to live in peace or in chaos and always feel uncomfortable. I say take your time, be kind and nice, get to know them and sooner or later the subject will come up and then it can be resolved. A confrontation is not the way.. nor is calling the authorities.
As usual, I am with you, Gracie! Personally, I enjoy hearing people having fun and especially laughing. I love it when we
are going about, and I see people enjoying their lanais and patios. Too often they are just not used. We back up to Bailey Trail. I enjoy the vehicles, people, dogs, etc. going by. If we close our patio door and windows you hardly hear anything.
Perhaps just closing windows and doors would make all the
difference in the world.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:36 PM

Back in Virginia years ago we had a college graduation party for my son. Some people were outdoors on the deck. No one on our street heard any noise and didn't even know we were out there. However a person across the pond called police who came knocking on our door. We brought everyone inside of course, but that's when we discovered that sound travels far better over water than across land. If you back up to a preserve, it might be that you hear them more because of being around water. Even so, you need to call the sheriff to bring it to their attention. Especially when it's after 10 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 PM

I like Cold No More suggestion also.

After reading through these posts I had to snicker when I read comments like --making noise to all hours of the night--just after 10---sorry I found that funny--do you remember when we were just going out at that time? How things have changed!! Not trying to minimize your peace and quiet being disturbed just thinking I guess I am old-P.J's sometimes after dinner-ha!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
We recently moved to a new neighborhood, on a nature preserve for the quiet and nature. We have only one lanai behind us and don't want to make enemies with new neighbors but don't know what to do. It's 10:20 pm and all night and Still now they are loud, laughing and carrying on. It doesn't end. We will speak to them politelly and ask them to keep it down however I have a feeling it won't matter to them. They know they have new neighbors and don't seem to care. Other neighbors across the street mentioned to us the couple who lived here Prior go us had a problem with them. Why can't people be considerate of others. We love it here except for this situation. Help??
I guess I can't tell you what to do in your situation. Maybe they're snowbirds & are here to party. I agree it probably won't make any difference. Everyone around me seem to go to bed around 9:00pm. Good thing because both of our lanai's are only about 20 ft. apart. Living on a Nature preserve sounds like your living pretty good to be able to pay lots of money to have that kind of view. Can't really tell you what to do other than say something to them, move into a neighborhood like mine, or just hope they get tired of partying. You probably can't really do anything other than putting a pillow over your head. Sorry, not much help here!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:54 PM

I had a similar issue when I first moved. wanting to spend time in my lanai in peace and quiet. my neighbors have a tv in their lanai. I made the decision to wait, and not use my lanai until I had a relationship with the neighbors. once established they asked ME if I could hear them. I said yes, and now they are being more quiet. not quite the silence I prefer BUT also not a cold war between neighbors that some of my friends experience.

Do they have a "pattern" of using their lanai? if so, see if you can fit your desire for peace and quiet inbetwen their pattern.

try not to label it "inconsiderate" they are enjoying life in a different way than we do

good luck
Old 02-22-2017, 09:59 PM

TV in the lanai seems normal as at least mine has a cable outlet and power plugs. Personally I don't, however, that is what a lanai is for. Its not a yoga mediation room.

Sorry if I am forward.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

How much "peace and quiet" do people need? If you wanted such serenity you should have not moved into a development with homes so close.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighbors, nature, lanai, mentioned, street

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.