Orthopedic desperately needed

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Default Orthopedic desperately needed

Has anyone else had knee replacement surgery in another state then found it difficult to get a doctor down here to even look at them. My husband had a fall two weeks ago and after a visit to the E R we were told follow up with an Ortho. I have not been able to even get an appointment with anyone . I was told by Dr Duke office staff that we would not be a good "fit". We are now waiting for another doc to review his surgical notes before we will know if he will see my husband. In the mean time he is hobbling around doing who knows what to that knee. Hope we don't have to fly back to CT just to get an opinion on what can be done. I feel hopeless at this point.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Most doctors do not want to get involved with another doctor's work. This is pretty standard in the medical profession no matter what kind of work was done. You might try contacting Dr. Peter Mulhern at Munroe Orthopedics at the Oaks off 441 near Aldis. But you will find that almost no doctor wants to "fix" a problem with another surgeon's work. It's just the way that it is.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSuper View Post
Has anyone else had knee replacement surgery in another state then found it difficult to get a doctor down here to even look at them. My husband had a fall two weeks ago and after a visit to the E R we were told follow up with an Ortho. I have not been able to even get an appointment with anyone . I was told by Dr Duke office staff that we would not be a good "fit". We are now waiting for another doc to review his surgical notes before we will know if he will see my husband. In the mean time he is hobbling around doing who knows what to that knee. Hope we don't have to fly back to CT just to get an opinion on what can be done. I feel hopeless at this point.
Gainesville is glutted withUF trained docs. Stands has clinics you might get into quickly.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Location: Philadelphia PA, North Wildwood NJ, Village of Tamarind Grove - June 2011

Give Tri County Orthopedics a call. They have an office in Lady Lake and in Leesburg. I just had orthoscopic surgery on my left knee last Thursday and am only taking Tylenol for some mild discomfort. In fact I went shopping at Walgreens this afternoon and took my little dog for a golf cart ride after dinner. Dr. Cook did my surgery but I understand Dr. Kerina does knee replacements. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 PM

If you have a primary care physician here in The Villages you may want to go to see him/her. If he then requests a consult with an orthopedic doctor you will probably have no problem being seen by someone.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

Call Dr J. Dean Cole in Orlando he is an Orthopedic Tramatoloigist - Excellent -worth going to orlando for the best!! You can find him on the web.
2501 N Orange Ave #340, Orlando, FL 32804
(407) 895-8890
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Sage

Florida orthopedic Institute in Tampa is the largest ortho groups in FL. Dr Tom Bernasek specializes in tough cases and "redos".
Old 07-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm sending you a PM. I had a similar situation.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

A second for Dr. Peter Mulhern. He was my doctor and neighbor in Georgia before he moved his practice to The Villages.

Hope I only need to see him socially when I get there full time, but would use him professionally if I had the need.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

It's common practice that the ER connects you with a doctor to follow up your visit, if needed. I'm beginning to think that might not be the case here.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Call University of Florida Orthopedics in Gainesville. It is an hour drive but the care is great and they like challenges. 352-273-7001.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Gainesville is glutted withUF trained docs. Stands has clinics you might get into quickly.
I think you mean Shands?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Default Orthopedic doc

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Our primary was not much help just gave me a list and told me to call and try to get them to see us. She even stated that it would be difficult to find a doc. We were referred at the ER and when we called to get an appointment with Tri County waited over a week for them to review the ER info . Then two docs there said they would not see my husband. So we are waiting to hear from a few others. Again thank you all.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would like to second the recommendation of J. Dean Cole.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
That sounds like code for, "We are not crazy about your insurance."

I had a bone doc slow roll me for years when I was on Tricare Prime. As soon as I qualified for Tricare For Life, he changed his tune.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.