pack of wild pigs digging on heron golf course

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
I woke up during the night to yipping and thought it was probably foxes. Glad to know Nature feels comfortable enough to live with us.
Their are dif Fox and Coyote around.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Gold member

I have a smoker!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

Wild hogs are wild hogs. Wild boars are wild male hogs. Wild sows are wild female hogs. All boars are hogs, but not all hogs are boars.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Platinum member
Talking Now you're talkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
I have a smoker!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:53 PM

With the exposure on this site I'm sure the management is on it. In most cases controlled hunting is done with bows and in some cases guns. Thanks for the heads up. I walk every night about midnight.
NG
Old 04-14-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

I have a mountain feist (a type of dog bred in the Appalachians for hunting small game). She responds rather strongly to the presence of wild animals (dinner time!). When we first moved to South Fernandina (on the edge of the desert), she regularly would get her hackles up during late evening walks. She still does from time to time. (No, she doesn't tell me what she's thinking about for her midnight snack.)

The point is that this part of TV was range land until very recently. All kinds of critters lived here. Some still do. Unlike the Disney channel or Animal Planet, some of them would be happy to eat you for dinner. Like the nature preserves? The price for having them is that nature lives there including animals you may not really want as neighbors.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
My sarcasm detector went off!

My experience with wild hogs has been mainly eating them while in hunting camp. A close friend and hunting buddy from my college days is an acknowledged expert regarding Florida wild hogs. He manufactures special hunting ammunition specifically for killing these dangerous animals. He has personally killed many dozens of them, usually when they are charging him with the intent to harm him.

Generally, they will flee in the presence of humans, but you can't count on this. The older and larger males have very dangerous tusks. Don't seek out a confrontation with wild hogs.

I'm including a couple of photos from the ammunition web site. My buddy James C. Gates is in one of the photos.
Wow!!!! Very interesting.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:35 AM
Gold member

I just know that the powers to be will take care of everything
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 AM

So after no response from the golf course people, I followed the great suggestion by kittygilchrist and called community watch who came out yesterday and said it would be handled. They called this morning and said that a hog hunter would come out to handle the problem.

Meanwhile I now realize that there have been holes in my garden which probably were also made by these hogs. They dug up some lily bulbs and other flowers I had just planted. We also had some animal dig up the corrugated pipe which we had buried 2-3 years ago to take water from the downspout farther away from the house. I suspect that some smaller animal was in the pipe and a larger animal wanted to get to it. I don't know if we can blame the hogs for that but it was close to the area they visited yesterday.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have had some wild hogs here in Haciendas of Mission Hills. My daughter lives on a horse ranch in Texas and they have occasionally had problems with wild hogs. They can tear up an entire pasture in no time. They are destructive and can be dangerous.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2tire View Post
With the exposure on this site I'm sure the management is on it. In most cases controlled hunting is done with bows and in some cases guns. Thanks for the heads up. I walk every night about midnight.
NG
Hogs are baited into a trap with food.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Where is the "Motor City Madman" Ted Nugent when you need him? He claimed to have killed 455 hogs one weekend last year with a machine gun. I think he said that he shot them from a helicopter. 750 rounds per minute.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

And I though this thread would be------------

"boar".......ing

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 04-15-2014, 12:40 PM

Maybe these wild pigs/boars could be trained to patrol the squares so that no one saves seats anymore.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
Maybe these wild pigs/boars could be trained to patrol the squares so that no one saves seats anymore.
LOL! I'm happy that this situation being posted has been educational to folks not from around here about the jeopardy of thinking pigs are all domesticated and cute.
Some posters made me proud who kept putting awareness of danger back into view, esp moderator and Carl. I suppose this area, like all places, has its dangers. Lucky for us most of them here are seldom encountered, and if you know what to do and not, you'll likely be okay.

Except for those pesky seat savers, the beasts. Seat Hogs, that's what they are.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.