I have lots of questions about TV!

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222
Cool I have lots of questions about TV!

I am trying to decide if I can, financially, move to TV. I have several questions. Some are finance related others not. If you have the time to answer one or all questions....THANK YOU.

1.Are residents concerned about the $355 million TV owns to the IRS?
2.Would I need flood insurance? If yes, why!?
3.Should I have golf cart insurance?
4.Is it difficult scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor? Can you get an appointment that week or is the appointment several weeks away?
5.Do most doctors accept new patients?
6.Do most doctors accept Medicare?
7.What is the Community Development District Fee? Am I confusing this with something else like the bond, amenity fee, personal property tax?
8.What is an EMS Assessment ($125)? What does EMS stand for?
9.TV's Relocation Service. Did they help? What does it cost?
10.Homestead Exemption. If I have a bond, can I get this?
11.What are golf cart trail fees? An easier question may be...If I don't golf, do I have to pay this fee?
12.Would I need a water softener in my home?

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Gold member
Default can answer some, others may know the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn222 View Post
I am trying to decide if I can, financially, move to TV. I have several questions. Some are finance related others not. If you have the time to answer one or all questions....THANK YOU.

1.Are residents concerned about the $355 million TV owns to the IRS?
2.Would I need flood insurance? If yes, why!?
3.Should I have golf cart insurance?
4.Is it difficult scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor? Can you get an appointment that week or is the appointment several weeks away?
5.Do most doctors accept new patients?
6.Do most doctors accept Medicare?
7.What is the Community Development District Fee? Am I confusing this with something else like the bond, amenity fee, personal property tax?
8.What is an EMS Assessment ($125)? What does EMS stand for?
9.TV's Relocation Service. Did they help? What does it cost?
10.Homestead Exemption. If I have a bond, can I get this?
11.What are golf cart trail fees? An easier question may be...If I don't golf, do I have to pay this fee?
1. I don't believe there's been a ruling yet regarding the IRS and the bonds. Yes, I think everyone is concerned, but I think the ruling will be favorable to TV's developers. Others have posted about precedent cases in Florida.
2. Not aware of flood insurance needed for most Villages properties - is anyone in a flood zone here? Maybe lots on Lake Miona? Almost all other ponds are man-made and levels controlled by TV engineers.
3. Golf cart liability insurance is highly recommended, don't think it's required. I personally don't have collision insurance on my 2005 reconditioned Club Car. The liability insurance runs about $35 (can't remember if $31 or $36) every 6 mos, with a separate policy from Allstate.
4. 5. 6. Don't know yet. Someone else?
7. Do you mean the Maintenance Bond? Depends on your district. It's my understanding this never goes away and could possibly increase, but property taxes are VERY reasonable compared to most states (Ohio is just an average tax state and still property taxes are much lower in TV). There is no personal property tax, only a one time initial car registration fee when you first move to Florida and license a vehicle. Don't know for sure if subsequent are subject to this fee but I don't think replacement vehicles have the same fee.
8. Emergency Medical Service? Someone please help here.
9. Relocation service helpful? Don't know, but I used to be a realtor and also a Relocation Director. IMO you should use a local agent in your current town who has been referred by satisfied customers if you don't know a good one. A referred agent (from the TV Relocation Service) has to pay a referral fee to The Villages if they get your listing and sell your house. Tough enough job without paying 25% or more of the commision to someone else for basically nothing.
10. I don't believe the Homestead Exemption has anything to do with the bond, only the property tax. Look on the county website for more info.
11. If you don't golf, you do not have to pay a trail fee. But you might consider taking lessons and trying it. You can walk with your own pull cart for free and it's good exercise and not difficult for 9 executive holes - since you're paying the amenity fee for those anyway.
12. I think a water softener is unnecessary but everyone has different ideas about that. I've moved many, many times, and I don't consider the water in TV to be especially hard or taste bad. I've had them in well water areas.

Hope this helps. Someone else can correct any misinformation and answer what I couldn't. I've owned for 4 years, but won't be living there until this fall, have just "visited" my house from time to time.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Answers

As for Dr's they are excepting new patients. It's pretty easy getting an appointme. I called on a Friday AM and had an appointment Monday morn with an orthpedist. Cardio about the same as was my primary care. The EMS fee is for both fire and ambulance service which is paid here in TV. I can't tell you about medicaid but I really don't think elderly people would be here if it wasn't excepted. There is a web site that gives you ALL the facts about TV. Go into the search page and look for The nuts and bolts. Hope this helps. You really don't need a lot of money to life here. You can adjust your lifestyle to her pocketbook very easily.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

1.Are residents concerned about the $355 million TV owns to the IRS? Some are, some aren't.I am not.
2.Would I need flood insurance? If yes, why!?Probalby not. Up to you. I don't have it.
3.Should I have golf cart insurance? I wouldn't be without it.
4.Is it difficult scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor? Can you get an appointment that week or is the appointment several weeks away?Can't say. I have had same Doc for years.
5.Do most doctors accept new patients?Can't help with this ?.
6.Do most doctors accept Medicare? I believe they do.
7.What is the Community Development District Fee? Am I confusing this with something else like the bond, amenity fee, personal property tax?I pass. Maybe someone else will answer this one.
8.What is an EMS Assessment ($125)? What does EMS stand for?See #7.
9.TV's Relocation Service. Did they help? What does it cost?See # 7.
10.Homestead Exemption. If I have a bond, can I get this?Not necessarily.
11.What are golf cart trail fees? An easier question may be...If I don't golf, do I have to pay this fee?Cart trail fees only apply to cart trails on golf courses.
In my humble opinion, no. You may want a filter on drinking water and ice maker. Some, including me, object to the taste.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:

1.Are residents concerned about the $355 million TV owns to the IRS? Clarification from an earlier response: the issue for residents is whether the IRS rules against the CDDs (not whether it rules against the Developer). The CDDs is us. It could happen but I'm not losing sleep.
2.Would I need flood insurance? If yes, why!? Not sure. Someone told me that standard homeowner's insurance covers hurricanes, but not floods. So insurance company can argue that damage to your home was caused by flooding not hurricane winds.
3.Should I have golf cart insurance? I do. It's only $90 a year. I took advice to cover it on a separate policy from homeowners, so if I had a claim on cart, it would not count against my homeowner's policy.
4.Is it difficult scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor? Can you get an appointment that week or is the appointment several weeks away? DK
5.Do most doctors accept new patients? DK
6.Do most doctors accept Medicare? DK
7.What is the Community Development District Fee? Am I confusing this with something else like the bond, amenity fee, personal property tax? DK When is this paid? I'm not aware of it.
8.What is an EMS Assessment ($125)? What does EMS stand for? EMS= Emergency Medical Service. I am not aware of an Assessment. When, where and to whom is this paid?
9.TV's Relocation Service. Did they help? What does it cost? DK
10.Homestead Exemption. If I have a bond, can I get this? It has to be your principal residence. You apply at the county tax office. No relationship to the bond.
11.What are golf cart trail fees? An easier question may be...If I don't golf, do I have to pay this fee? Only on golf courses
DK

Good questions, Lynn
Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Sage

Hi Lynne, when I first discovered this forum I lurked around for a few months reading old posts and discussions. It was like reading a novel. I thought I had different posters personalities figured out just by reading so many of their responses to different issues and topics.

What I'm trying to say is if you have the time, most of your questions have been answered in some way, shape or form in other threads and posts. You can search with the search button across the top or just browse at your leisure through the threads.

Like someone mentioned earlier, the Nuts and Bolts thread is like an encyclopedia of information about TV. Welcome to TOTV.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Default Don't worry, be happy.

No problems with doctors. You can't spit without hitting one looking for new patients. Cart insurance is optional. Most medical places assume you are on Medicare as I found out since I am not. It is my understanding that not all of the amount you mentioned would be the responsibility of the homeowners. In any case divide the full amount by the number of homes here and then amortize that over 20 years or do and you will find that in worse case it will not break the bank.

I haven to work full time to live here and I think it is worth it.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

These answers all apply to the expense side, look at your income side. Based on several threads on this topic, I would suggest that 30K is an absolute minimum required and that will require a no mortgage home. Somewhere around 50K is more comfortable and more realistic. Anything over 75K and your probably in great shape, can have a nice designer home with a mortgage. Over 100K and you can live very well. This is just my opinion based on reading lots of input from others on this topic. Again it all depends on life style, how much you travel, how often you eat out, what you do for entertainment, what you enjoy in life.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM

In Florida the homestead exemption applies if you live in your home as your primary residence on January 1 of that year. The bond has no bearing on that.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Why don't you conact The Villages Sales Office and get correct information and explination? Remember that 90% of the information you get from neighbors, friends, etc., is only their uninformed opinion. If you don't trust the information you get from "the developer", you shouldn't consider buying here or anywhere. Think about it!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Lynn.

There is so much to learn about this place and you are going about it in the right way. The Villages Sales Office does have information on how much it typically costs to live here and we found it to be very accurate.

The property taxes yearly amount to about 2% of the price of your home. (I think that is right...someone correct me if I am wrong) Taking care of the lawn is about 50-60 dollars a month for us but we have a small yard.

Continue to ask any question of this forum. I think that this forum and the helpful and patient people here was a huge factor in our decision to buy in The Villages.

Hope to meet you soon.

GG et al.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Gracie --
I think you are correct --while we have not moved to TV yet --we bought a lot and have the home ready to build ---Our salesman was telling us the entire time we have been looking to estimate the costs (taxes) at about 2% of the price of the home

----It is coming in very close --that is Taxes ,Bond,Maintainace fee etc -- after that it all lifestyle determined I hope !!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.