Panhandling on 441

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
since we dont have public transportation available how are they supposed to get to and fro?
The same way they got to the R42 and R441 intersections in the first place
Old 10-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
I think it should be banned. I see a woman with a sign about being a single mom with 2 or 3 kids - where are the kids? Who's taking care of them while she is standing at the intersection? They are there during normal working hours of weekdays - why aren't they out looking for work? Filling out applications. I've seen quite a few "now hiring" signs lately. The pay may only be minimum, but at least it's something. Probably more than what they are collecting from the motorists. There are organizations that will help with clothing so a person can go out and look for employment. I've donated clothes to them. I see some of them standing there talking on cell phones - how are they paying that bill? Maybe I sound harsh, but I don't buy any of it. I give to many legitimate organizations - not a dime to a panhandler.
Unfortunately, there are often jobs, but they fall way short of a living wage for people. I know people say it is better than no job, but that often is not true. Because a family is out of work, they often qualify for assistance and the assistance is often better than working for minimum wage. When you factor in the expense of a job, clothing, transportation,etc., minimum wages just don't cut it. I feel bad for struggling families, often, their situation is not their fault. Our country has outsourced so many good living wage jobs to other countries, and now we are seeing the results. I know the response I will get for the assistance is that we all pay for this...but I will pay the taxes to help if I can, and am thankful for the blessings I have.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

better than dog **** thread
Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Gold member

Exactly,All of the above..Just leave them alone. They know they have a problem,and they do not need someone else opinion. You never know till you walk in others shoes.It is easy for those who have everything to comment on those who do not. Do the Christian thing and do not look down on them.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Some of us think..you should look for a job and some of us think poor you, you are not able to work.

Only God knows what is happening.

Most of us try to take care of our selves and our families and those we know who need our help.

Most of us have so much pride that we would do almost any job rather than to beg.
I also think that I'm fortunate that it is not me standing there.

I don't know about everyone else but I am getting burned out with organizations with their hands out at every turn (intersections, mail centers, robo calls, shopping centers, at your front door). Seems like charity has become a big business and that means someone is making money.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When you exit I75 at the Belleview exit there are always a large number of men and women living under the overpass there. They take turns panhandleing at the intersection. I hate driving by there. Why do I hate it so much? Maybe some guilt and discomfort that there are those who have so little. I don't know their story but it pains me all the same. On the other hand there are some who make quite a nice sum holding those signs and playing on our heart strings.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Eternal Member

In Akron Ohio the city requires the PH to get a permit and off they go. Each one has their turf staked out and they are there as if is their regular job. On the exits on the local expressway you will find them at every exit. The one that I use all the time the guy has been holding a "homeless" sign for 5 years now. He takes his breaks and heads to the Quickie E Mart for smokes and back to his station.

VG
Old 10-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
I don't know about everyone else but I am getting burned out with organizations with their hands out at every turn (intersections, mail centers, robo calls, shopping centers, at your front door). Seems like charity has become a big business and that means someone is making money.
Amen! I have my charities that I give to. But every time you turn around someone is asking for a hand out.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
When you exit I75 at the Belleview exit there are always a large number of men and women living under the overpass there. They take turns panhandleing at the intersection. I hate driving by there. Why do I hate it so much? Maybe some guilt and discomfort that there are those who have so little. I don't know their story but it pains me all the same. On the other hand there are some who make quite a nice sum holding those signs and playing on our heart strings.
There is the problem...How do you decide? While there are many who game the system, there are also many who are truly needy. My instant reaction is almost always negative, yet I am very blessed, and while I cannot go out and buy a Rolls or a yacht, I want for nothing. The Bible tells us that "to whom much is given, much is expected".

There often seems to be an attitude by those who have that those who do not, have not, because they are lazy. For some people, that's very true. But we live in an age where many who managed to get along with very little have had one serious thing or another upset their entire apple cart, and they are now in serious trouble.

The truth is there are many who suddenly find themselves in these circumstances are the least likely to seek out welfare or other types of assistance. These are not the people who know how to game the system and they often have too few resources to find their way back. I have no trouble trying to help people like these.

Then there are the ones who learn how the game the system and every single one of it's social benefits from day one. They know every line & every scam. I have no care for these people.

But HOW do you decide or know who is whom at a single glance? Jesus said that by helping the poor "people have entertained angels without knowing it".

My feeling is that there are good, decent charities who do good work and don't waste the money that they receive. Pick one or two to donate to, or give money at your church. Put aside some canned or boxed goods for a local food pantry. I think that helps answer the question.

And as mentioned by several posters, if the street people are not bothering you, then leave them alone. They're not hurting you.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Platinum member

There by the Grace of God go I
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
If you feed a dog they never will go home
Wow
Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Gold member
Default panhandlers

I strongly suspect these people are part of a large group of organized panhandlers. I have seen several TV programs that followed people like this only to find they were part of such a group. When asked, they will say that they make more money per day begging than they would if they actually worked at a job. Don't you think it strange that there is usually 2,3,4 or more in the same vicinity ??
Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

Michael Jordan always says "it's just as easy to say welcome to McDonald's" as it is to say "can you spare some change."
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
We live at the northernmost part of The Villages. So we use Routes 42 and 441 very often. At the intersection of these roads and a few others, we daily see people standing in the center dividing lines, holding cardboard signs, asking for donations.

In Ohio this would be immediately stopped, but it seems to be allowed here.

My feeling is that it shouldn't be allowed here either. Or, if there are regulations, they should be enforced.

The people are a distraction to drivers and, if someone stops to make some kind of donation, they are holding up traffic behind them.

Surely there are agencies to help them. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I was wondering what others think about this situation.

Thanks for your opinions.
A Spruce Creek south Resident brought the highway panhandling to the attention of the Marion County Commissioners about a year ago. He did this after the McDonald's manager offered one panhandler a job but it the employment offer was turned down. Apparently, there's quite a bit of $$$ to be collected just standing in the highway. One panhandler in another Florida county, when he was denied the right to panhandle, sued the county (with the help of ACLU). He was awarded $10,000. Kinda' makes you want to grab a jar, make a sign and head out to the highway, no? Especially when you see the same people standing in the highway center, smoking cigarettes ($5-$6 a pack?) and talking on their cellphones.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Gold member

I asked one of these people down in my area (So. Fl.) why he doesn't get a job.
His response: I make enough to buy a six pack of beer and a pack of cigarettes - that's all I need.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.