Panhandling on 441

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran member
Default just my opinon

mind your own business and be thankful you are not in a position to beg, but in a position to give.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I'm sort of interested in what fairytale part of Ohio you lived in where panhandling would be "immediately" stopped. I lived in Maumee & worked in Toledo from 1994-1997 and there were panhandlers at virtually every major intersection all over the greater Toledo metro area, and I NEVER saw them stopped or shooed away ever. On top of that every possible legitimate charity organization was allowed to stand at street intersections with collection buckets doing the same thing except they were legitimate charities.
Just south of Youngstown, but it was no fairytail. The panhandler usually made it about a half day. Boardman.

No charities, either.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
I'm not "from" Ohio, I'm from upstate NY. I just lived & worked in Ohio for 3 years. While I was not as enthralled with Ohio as you are, I did have the best boss I ever worked for in my entire work history there. And.. there is also a street in Dayton that carries my last name, which is very interesting since my last name is not at all a common one. So there are 2 points for Ohio.
Gee, did I say I was enthralled with Ohio? Perhaps you misunderstood.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Default Of Panhandlers and problems

According to federal and Florida law, panhandling is a "freedom of speech" but can be regulated somewhat. Google Florida panhandling for some interesting stories. Last year, Stan Martin of Spruce Creek South approached the Marion County Commissioners and requested they consider the problem of panhandling on Highway 441. Probably because the ACLU brought a suit forward on behalf of a panhandler who was awarded $10,000 in damages, the county did not act on Martin's request. Panhandlers, however, are restricted and can only panhandle in the center median. They cannot panhandle nor park their vehicles on the roadside owned by businesses. I, for one, am against panhandling because it is a major distraction which years ago was the cause of my being in an accident.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

There is always someone less fortunate than you. No one forces you to give to the needy, it's a choice you make. Personally, I don't mind giving the change I have in my car or pocket to someone who needs it. When you give to most organized charities a lot of the money of it goes to "administrative" costs. Panhandlers cut out the middle man.
I find this thread to be judgmental and distasteful.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
mind your own business and be thankful you are not in a position to beg, but in a position to give.
Well put.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
If you feed a dog they never will go home
Unbelievable comment.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
Unfortunately, there are often jobs, but they fall way short of a living wage for people. I know people say it is better than no job, but that often is not true. Because a family is out of work, they often qualify for assistance and the assistance is often better than working for minimum wage. When you factor in the expense of a job, clothing, transportation,etc., minimum wages just don't cut it. I feel bad for struggling families, often, their situation is not their fault. Our country has outsourced so many good living wage jobs to other countries, and now we are seeing the results. I know the response I will get for the assistance is that we all pay for this...but I will pay the taxes to help if I can, and am thankful for the blessings I have.
I second this.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Platinum member

I believe in the rule of abundance, if you use what you have for good you will always have enough. I'm sure I've been snookered along the way, but that's the con artists problem, not mine.

I have absolutely no patience for the fake charities, the ones that take advantage of good hearted people-but that too works itself out.

I would prefer these people worked for money, but here in TV they really can't go door to door looking for work.

Back in the day on LI, there were guys hanging out at 7-11, not begging for money, just looking for work. They were great, hard working, respectful-okay, so maybe they were a bit illegal-it worked.

I think you just do what you can. You do what feels good for you. Maybe something as simple as clean out your pantry and donate it to a food bank. (A few years back you could bring donations to the security booths.)

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'm sort of interested in what fairytale part of Ohio you lived in where panhandling would be "immediately" stopped. I lived in Maumee & worked in Toledo from 1994-1997 and there were panhandlers at virtually every major intersection all over the greater Toledo metro area, and I NEVER saw them stopped or shooed away ever. On top of that every possible legitimate charity organization was allowed to stand at street intersections with collection buckets doing the same thing except they were legitimate charities.
Where I came from they would usually pick-up the panhandlers within thirty minutes or less inside the city. If you saw any it was usually on the exits outside the city limits. Even there someone would call the Sheriff's office pretty quick.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
Just south of Youngstown, but it was no fairytail. The panhandler usually made it about a half day. Boardman.

No charities, either.
You lived in "Lyden" land.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
Unbelievable comment.
Yep. "Welcome to Florida's Friendliest Hometown where the poor working class in Wildwood had better never show their faces in Brownwood and the unemployed poor are likened to stray dogs". God must be so proud.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up

WELL SAID MACK!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Yep. "Welcome to Florida's Friendliest Hometown where the poor working class in Wildwood had better never show their faces in Brownwood and the unemployed poor are likened to stray dogs". God must be so proud.
Well I started out as a "poor working class," so I guess that I had better stay out of Brownwood. You sure said it right Mack184, the God part.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.