Panhandling on 441

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Yep. "Welcome to Florida's Friendliest Hometown where the poor working class in Wildwood had better never show their faces in Brownwood and the unemployed poor are likened to stray dogs". God must be so proud.
Great comment.

No doubt these are all the same folks who have their cars "decorated" with "Keep Christ in Christmas" and "Keep God in America" magnets.

What hypocrites!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Veteran member
Default Panhandling

Panhandling is a JOB for many of these people. There was a man that panhandled outside of the Bush Gardens entrance that made 50K/year. No taxes on the income. If you give them money, you keep them employed! We give donation to the legitimate charties that help those who need it.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

I notice the same group of people along 441 every day. Travel 441 for about a week and you'll see the same faces at all the major intersections. They do "switch" positions on a daily basis (for obvious reasons) and I would bet that they make a whole lot more than having a minimum wage job. You have to wonder-if it wasn't worthwhile then would they be out there panhandling every day? I've noticed some of the same people for many months now. Day in and day out!!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylecroix View Post
We were at Luigino's recently eating outside and a guy came by on a bike and asked us for money. I was surprised.
Boy, that will kill business real fast!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Gold member

See no problem with these panhhandlers.They are not filling up our jails,we do not have to house,feed and guard them. They do not fill up our court dockets. I am sure the police,are glad they do not have to handle these complaints. Leave them alone.More power to them if they make that kind of money. Really do you think 50-60 thousand.? I do not.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
See no problem with these panhhandlers.They are not filling up our jails,we do not have to house,feed and guard them. They do not fill up our court dockets. I am sure the police,are glad they do not have to handle these complaints. Leave them alone.More power to them if they make that kind of money. Really do you think 50-60 thousand.? I do not.
Years ago I had to fly to NOLA every month for the Marine Corps. I noticed the same guy under the same overpass near my hotel every time. I mentioned it to one of the permanent staff and he showed me an article from the paper concerning these people. Seems a new arrival in NOLA, down on his luck, decided to panhandle and chose the same spot as another. A fight started and the cops were called. Turns out the panhandlers essentially had a guild, with locations determined and protected. One guy they interviewed claimed he was making about $50K tax free. he had a family and a house. He considered it his occupation. He was self-employed and worked the hours he wanted. Since he had a prime location (under an overpass), he was sheltered from the hot sun and the rain. If it was too cold, he cut his day short. He claimed he earned more this way than if employed and had no taxes withheld. The thing that bothered me was that his wife and kids were on assistance.

Now, I don't mean to imply those on 441 are taking in that kind of money, or that they are anything more than what they appear. But there are "professional" panhandlers out there.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Veteran member

I have no doubt that there are indeed professional beggars. Which tends to make people have negative thoughts about all people who appear that way. But I think the idea that's been expressed that if they are not personally hassling people, then in a sense who cares what they do? Just drive on and let them be. Now if they are bothering people or acting in an aggressive manner that's entirely different.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Sage

I agree. If they are not bothering you, leave the situation alone. There are lots of urban myths about beggers on corners for years and years and then they retire to a tropical island paradise or to Palm Beach where they live like kings on the millions of dollars they acquired tax free over the years. THOSE ARE URBAN MYTHS!!!

I have no idea of what a panhandler might get but if they do not hurt anyone, leave them alone. If they do get in the way of traffic, call a police department and lodge a complaint.

I certainly would rather have them beg on Hwy 441 than to turn to burglary in The Villages.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 AM

Although the "panhandlers" are not or Do not appear to be aggressive, I will say that seeing this for the first time kind of takes the wind out of ones sails. Having lived in Manhattan, The Bronx and Queens counties in NY, I have had my fair share of PH's working it for a handout. These folks evolved into window washers for coin and when you didn't give over, anger ensued and perhaps a bent wiper blade before you were outta-there. It's NOT always innocent. It may start out that way but it certainly can go haywire in a flash. PLEASE don't say that will NEVER happen here. I bet many folks NEVER thought that PH'ers would appear here in the first place.
It is not a good selling point as something we first encounter here. It is a turnoff. Not saying that these folks ARE harmful. Just acknowledging the fact that some folks TAKE till there is no more to take. To ignore is to enable sometimes. Have a nice buncha days.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
Although the "panhandlers" are not or Do not appear to be aggressive, I will say that seeing this for the first time kind of takes the wind out of ones sails. Having lived in Manhattan, The Bronx and Queens counties in NY, I have had my fair share of PH's working it for a handout. These folks evolved into window washers for coin and when you didn't give over, anger ensued and perhaps a bent wiper blade before you were outta-there. It's NOT always innocent. It may start out that way but it certainly can go haywire in a flash. PLEASE don't say that will NEVER happen here. I bet many folks NEVER thought that PH'ers would appear here in the first place.
It is not a good selling point as something we first encounter here. It is a turnoff. Not saying that these folks ARE harmful. Just acknowledging the fact that some folks TAKE till there is no more to take. To ignore is to enable sometimes. Have a nice buncha days.
Not a lot of that happens anymore. With just about everyone with a cell phone camera these days,they know that they could be caught on tape. One of the best things to carry these days. had a very aggressive semi-truck driver doing his best to be a jerk. Once I pointed my camera phone at him out the window , his whole demeanor changed.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Sage

"I bet many folks NEVER thought that PH'ers would appear here in the first place.
It is not a good selling point as something we first encounter here."

The poster should realize that the panhandlers in question are NOT in The Villages. The official address up on 441 is Summerfield. It may not be the most desireable thing to see when first coming to The Villages - but we are the bubble of prosperity in the midst of lots of local poverty. Just look at the number of food banks in the area. Thanks to the wonderful giving attitudes of Villages residents and clubs, the food banks can provide some relief to the poor and needy of the surrounding areas.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Gold member

Its not like they are on every street. Just a couple at some major intersections.Hey you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
"I bet many folks NEVER thought that PH'ers would appear here in the first place.
It is not a good selling point as something we first encounter here."

The poster should realize that the panhandlers in question are NOT in The Villages. The official address up on 441 is Summerfield. It may not be the most desireable thing to see when first coming to The Villages - but we are the bubble of prosperity in the midst of lots of local poverty. Just look at the number of food banks in the area. Thanks to the wonderful giving attitudes of Villages residents and clubs, the food banks can provide some relief to the poor and needy of the surrounding areas.
Many good things are done collectively and privately by kind people who live here. It may not ever be enough but it is a help to those who need a hand up or a hand.

I am so proud to live among so many people with kind and giving hearts in every way.

We all react to the panhandlers in different ways because of our upbringing, life experiences and values. I am glad and grateful to have enough as we all are. Our collective gathering on earth should be to look out for each other as best we can. Knowing another's motives for me is left to higher powers.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Many good things are done collectively and privately by kind people who live here. It may not ever be enough but it is a help to those who need a hand up or a hand.

I am so proud to live among so many people with kind and giving hearts in every way.

We all react to the panhandlers in different ways because of our upbringing, life experiences and values. I am glad and grateful to have enough as we all are. Our collective gathering on earth should be to look out for each other as best we can. Knowing another's motives for me is left to higher powers.

With Graciegirl
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

One of the most tragic parts of this entire discussion is that out there is a large amount of US Military veterans who are on the skids and unable to find work. There is a piece in this morning's NY Post about this. I will not post it, since there are some political overtones in it that might displease the board police, but you can easily look it up if you want.

A number of veterans joined the military because they came from poor circumstances and had a dismal job outlook. In the military they found their place, and success. Now they are being cashiered by their employer in an effort to "downsize". They come back and now cannot find work, and have troubles.

In this story the veteran being interviewed is not "squeaky clean", but there is a larger story. Also I have recently read several articles where companies are openly refusing to hire recent vets if they are receiving even a small bit of military disability because these companies legal departments have cautioned that if the vets have even a shread of PTS, they might be liable if the veteran "acts out". Really? I mean really?? And we are not just talking big high-paying companies, we are also talking about the large chain retailers & fast-food companies as well. So many cannot even find work at an entry level.

This nation should bow it's head in shame if we cannot take care of those who put their lives on the line for us. If even one vet is begging on a street corner, it's one too many.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.