Panhandling on 441

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

There are innumerable reasons that may put someone out on the street. Alcoholism, mental illnesses like post traumatic stress disorder, bad employment choices, a criminal record of some kind, a violent family member, bankruptcy, personal insurance disasters, parent abuse, spousal abuse, etc.

As long as you are civil when approached by someone down on his or her luck, I doubt if you have much to worry about from them.

I do not think that we should be able to do anything about panhandlers in certain areas. Suppose I would be concerned if I saw them outside of Old Mill Playhouse, Southern Trace Publix, or some other place inside the Villages proper. I have never seen them in the Villages nor in Lady Lake.

Have seen some in Leesburg, Ocala, parts of the Tampa Bay area, San Francisco, Phoenix, Minneapolis, New Orleans, etc.

I remember that they used to come in from the cold and sleep at various reading tables when I worked at the downtown Central Branch of Minneapolis Public Library. We would have to push them out near closing and this was often out into subzero weather.

I worked at MPL for about 9 months as a Work/Study Intern while going to Law School at the U of MN.

They did not bother people at the library at all.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-30-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am glad and grateful to have enough as we all are. Our collective gathering on earth should be to look out for each other as best we can. Knowing another's motives for me is left to higher powers.
Well said GG!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
"I bet many folks NEVER thought that PH'ers would appear here in the first place.
It is not a good selling point as something we first encounter here."

The poster should realize that the panhandlers in question are NOT in The Villages. The official address up on 441 is Summerfield. It may not be the most desireable thing to see when first coming to The Villages - but we are the bubble of prosperity in the midst of lots of local poverty. Just look at the number of food banks in the area. Thanks to the wonderful giving attitudes of Villages residents and clubs, the food banks can provide some relief to the poor and needy of the surrounding areas.
I see them at Buenos Aries at 441 on a daily basis. As a relative newbie wo TV, is that not TV area? I don't know where Summerfield is. Last month, my granddaughter was with me in my car. She is 7 years old and from NY. A woman actually approached the car from her side and frightened her. Although this may not be a regular event, it still sets the stage for other issues if only in ones mind. I have different experience than some others and have a cautions mindset. IMHO the PH individuals need not to be doing so. We moved away from that. Or so I thought. BTW, I mean no one any harm. There are solutions. They have not been thought up yet. paz
Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
I see them at Buenos Aries at 441 on a daily basis. As a relative newbie wo TV, is that not TV area? I don't know where Summerfield is. Last month, my granddaughter was with me in my car. She is 7 years old and from NY. A woman actually approached the car from her side and frightened her. Although this may not be a regular event, it still sets the stage for other issues if only in ones mind. I have different experience than some others and have a cautions mindset. IMHO the PH individuals need not to be doing so. We moved away from that. Or so I thought. BTW, I mean no one any harm. There are solutions. They have not been thought up yet. paz
I'm sorry. I think this could have been a learning experience for your granddaughter if handled in a calm way and with explanation as to how some people aren't as fortunate financially, for whatever reasons.

In our church in MI, we start small, teaching the young ones what community is and mission is and who has and who has not, and why, and how the fortunate ones giving back to the community helps the poor and society in general.

Unless this person was menacing and threatening, you could explain away the child's fear and make this a teaching moment. Maybe next time?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm sorry. I think this could have been a learning experience for your granddaughter if handled in a calm way and with explanation as to how some people aren't as fortunate financially, for whatever reasons.

In our church in MI, we start small, teaching the young ones what community is and mission is and who has and who has not, and why, and how the fortunate ones giving back to the community helps the poor and society in general.

Unless this person was menacing and threatening, you could explain away the child's fear and make this a teaching moment. Maybe next time?
Excellent, Just think how many are going to be homeless from New Jersey and New York. Think we should leave the people on 441 alone.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.