Panhandling

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Default Panhandling

Does panhandling at the mail stations = solicitation? Politicians are bad enough, but only show up around elections & it's good to meet them before voting. The panhandlers ambush you on the way to get mail & beg for money for various causes. If there is no solicitation, what's the difference whether it's at your door or at your mailbox? Now I feel better!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Veteran member
Default Lazy or smart!?!?!?!

I don't know if they are lazy or smart,,, they don't have to walk door to door if they are at the mailboxes ,,, I have found a polite firm NO Thanks,,, does the trick,,,,most are harmless. Or just call in on them or the threat of calling seems to make them move on. But being nasty or confrontieal with them will only get you wound up.... They are used to being hassled...treat them the way u want to be treated works in most every time for alot of things this included
Old 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Now this is a new one. People asking for money at the postal stations. Report them to Community Watch.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Sage

This is new to us as well!!! Where is your mail-station located?? I'd do what Bogie Shooter said! Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed here! They're all out on 441. Saw a gal the other day, clean, dressed pretty well....sign said something about "no job, very hungary, anything would help" but she was on her cellphone! Now how do you pay for service if you have no money??
Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Platinum member

Been here 12 years, never saw one.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
This is new to us as well!!! Where is your mail-station located?? I'd do what Bogie Shooter said! Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed here! They're all out on 441. Saw a gal the other day, clean, dressed pretty well....sign said something about "no job, very hungary, anything would help" but she was on her cellphone! Now how do you pay for service if you have no money??
THEY now give free cell phone to people on public assistance.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
THEY now give free cell phone to people on public assistance.
It's not free. Your and my taxes are paying for it.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Hasn't happend at my mail station.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
It's not free. Your and my taxes are paying for it.
Don't I know it, it's one of my pet peeves.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Its not clear to me from the initial post, but I assume you were not complaining of people soliciting for various third party charitable causes< I assume you were referring to what I call "beggars". I have not taken the time to look up any TV regulations or local ordinances, but would not be surprised if it was "against the law". A call to security might be effective.

Swampy, soon to be a Fernandina FROG.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM

We visited last October and it seemed that they were at every red light on 441/27 holding up signs and asking for food or money. Is that the norm?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Sage

ONCE AGAIN-- read your deed restrictions. Mine state that solicitation is prohibited.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
We visited last October and it seemed that they were at every red light on 441/27 holding up signs and asking for food or money. Is that the norm?
Up here in Baltimore you cannot go anywhere in the greater Baltimore metro area without finding somebody begging for something on virtually every major intersection. As one of the posters mentioned they are well dressed, have better shoes than you do, look less hungry than you are and they are gabbing on their taxpayer-provided cell phones. One near us comes in each day, parks his car at the local BP station and uses the gas station's bathroom when needed. It's constant. The cops will move them along if they are not already busy taking bullets out of innocent bystanders who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time during the latest gang-related drive-by but for the most part, they are everywhere.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
...treat them the way u want to be treated works in most every time for alot of things this included
At the risk of not seeming compassionate or seeming boastful ......

Never have panhandled, not sure how I would expect to be treated????

Always found a way to make a buck by working even when I was young, uneducated and poor. I may have gotten dirty and tired but I felt like I accomplished something good!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Sage

I have been here 3 years and have not seen a panhandler at one of the mail boxes. I have seen a couple in front of grocery stores and a couple at Lake Sumter Landing when there was some art show or something going on.

Outside of The Villages, there is a lot of poverty. If social programs get cut, there will be more people begging on the street corners in Wildwood and Lady Lake.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.