Panhandling

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 AM

Last edited by George and Ethell; 10-14-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: changed my mind
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Sage

We have the folks doing cash/food drives in Duval Mail Station for various charities. I think that is a fine thing to do. The least we can do is to give a hand where one is needed. In Duval, the people collecting for charities are residents of Duval.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by George and Ethell View Post
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Sage

I thought panhandling was pretty much illegal everywhere except where the cops choose to overlook it, like in big cities
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Here for 2.5 yrs- never been panhandled at a mail station. About 6 months ago was approached twice on Publix parking lot(Colony) and at the Shell station by people asking for money for gas because they where broke and going to see their sick daughter or dying mother.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
We have the folks doing cash/food drives in Duval Mail Station for various charities. I think that is a fine thing to do. The least we can do is to give a hand where one is needed. In Duval, the people collecting for charities are residents of Duval.
Please forgive me for my question. Duval is one of the larger villages. I am pretty sure there are more than 1000 homes. I know they have a great website. I am guessing that the website is telling you when the folks collecting will be there so you can contribute so you know that they are valid collectors and residents?

We bring our contributions for charity in Laurel Valley to our monthly potluck. But there are only 52 homes in our village.

The reason for my question is that most everyone would want to support a valid collection for a good cause. Some nasty folks would and could and do take advantage of our kind hearts.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please forgive me for my question. Duval is one of the larger villages. I am pretty sure there are more than 1000 homes. I know they have a great website. I am guessing that the website is telling you when the folks collecting will be there so you can contribute so you know that they are valid collectors and residents?

We bring our contributions for charity in Laurel Valley to our monthly potluck. But there are only 52 homes in our village.

The reason for my question is that most everyone would want to support a valid collection for a good cause. Some nasty folks would and could and do take advantage of our kind hearts.
If, like the ones at intersections with signs, it looks suspicious, I just pass them by.

When they set up in the Duval station, they have a car, card tables and signs indicating what they are doing and who they are doing it for. We know the ladies that do this fine thing from the neighborhood as well.

If you would like to combine your small contributions with ours, I would be happy to find the schedule these ladies use, the charity they support etc. and provide it to you for future donations.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Should be easy enough to tell the difference between a panhandler and some ladies collecting for the neighborhood. Both will most likely ask different questions. Don't know the difference..........drive down 441/27 or corner of 301/ CR42.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM

On our front gate it says no solicitation...report to community watch and let them move them on. Or actually they'll probably contact the sheriff in the case of vagrants in a umm gated community.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Its not clear to me from the initial post, but I assume you were not complaining of people soliciting for various third party charitable causes< I assume you were referring to what I call "beggars". I have not taken the time to look up any TV regulations or local ordinances, but would not be surprised if it was "against the law". A call to security might be effective.

Swampy, soon to be a Fernandina FROG.
clod did say there were asking for money for "various causes", so I read it to mean exactly the opposite of how you read it. Maybe the OP can clear it up for us. I have seen a lot of abuse from people collecting for charities and also individual panhandlers.

I knew a lady whose brother made about $200 per day, holding a sign on a busy road that said something like...taking care of sister with cancer...The sister did indeed have cancer, however, she never got any benefit from the money, not even for groceries, etc. The guy just considered that his "job".
Old 10-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I see all kinds of opportunities to contribute to good causes here that do not need folks at the mail drop. That is just my personal opinion.

If we want to give, we know where to give and how to give. Our village collects money and canned goods and health articles for the homeless children in Ocala Forest and for the kids who need things that attend the local schools. Many churches do the same. My back door neighbor volunteers endlessly at St. Vincent de paul. And she collects can tops and of course anything there is a need for as well as money. Money works everywhere to help.

Many of us have personal reasons to contribute to certain research efforts.
I think we live among a caring and generous group of people.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM

When I see some asking for money for food (in front of Walmart on 441) I drive to McDonalds, buy a happy meal, and drive back to where they are standing & give it to them.... EVERYTIME I do that, they thank me very kindly... I pull off into a near parking lot to see what they will do, and much to everyones surprise The sit down & gooble it down like it was the only meal the ever eaten.... and in the winter when it is cold, I drive down to the circle K & get them a large Hot Coco and do the same.... One time the guy (as I watched from a the parking lot, & they did not see me) called the other guy who was begging too, shared the coco together!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBellis View Post
When I see some asking for money for food (in front of Walmart on 441) I drive to McDonalds, buy a happy meal, and drive back to where they are standing & give it to them.... EVERYTIME I do that, they thank me very kindly... I pull off into a near parking lot to see what they will do, and much to everyones surprise The sit down & gooble it down like it was the only meal the ever eaten.... and in the winter when it is cold, I drive down to the circle K & get them a large Hot Coco and do the same.... One time the guy (as I watched from a the parking lot, & they did not see me) called the other guy who was begging too, shared the coco together!
Thanks for that post. I think we get to paranoid sometimes. Let us not forget how fortunate we are to be able to afford living in The Villages. I could say it is because I worked my ^&& off for over 40 years, but that would be an exaggeration as I enjoyed my working life and am very thankful for the opportunities I had to make the retirement that allowed us to move to The Villages.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBellis View Post
I have noticed those "homeless" folks many times. I have also seen them in the Wallmart parking lot talking to what appeared to be an organizer next to a late model automobile (suv). It appeared to me that panhandling is a job.
I also recall going to Ocala @ exit 284 and seeing a couple panhandling for $$$$. On returning, about 45 min. later, I saw the same couple carrying two cases of beer while walking away from their "station."
Before you do gooders get any ideas, I do feel for them, but many seem to do better panhandling than getting a real job. I also realize that many have mental problems. However, those on 441 seem to be organized and would rather stand in the sun and beg for money than work.
Has anyone noticed that they are freshly shaved and that their clothing is clean?
I tend to think that many of those who are panhandling are scamming. By the way, watch your receipts from the local stores as I was advised that at that same 441 locale, those people do go through the garbage bin in search of credit card #s, amongst other things,
I do have a place in my heart for those people and families who are in need and I often contibute, but, I do so through a charity or food pantry and not some panhandler on the street.
MLBellis, I find it commendable that you buy them food and a hot drink instead of giving the $$ which may be spent in a manner other than your good will intended.
Many have signs that say that they will work for food. Has anyone of you offerred them a day job or don't you want them in your home?
It is also quite strange that the same people show up on a daily basis. Some are quite young and appear to be in good health. Many of the local merchants, landscapers, pool companies, etc are looking for help. Why aren't these folks applying if in fact they are so desperate. Methinks that it is easier to panhandle.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Gold member

Ok, I admit...it was me. I figured if I got enough I wouldn't have to wait to sell my house here in Michigan. Does anyone else need weeds pulled?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.