Seating at McDonalds

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Gold member
Default Seating at McDonalds

This morning I took my 90 year old parents to McDonald's at Colony for breakfast. Mom can barely walk but with a walker she manages. We tend to gravitate to the nearest table but a male with a hat and newspaper was thrown on a table for 4. I navigated towards the wheelchair assessable table and there was one woman sitting there also alone reading her book. We squeezed in a table and borrowed a chair from another 4 seated table where another lone person sat as well. If this were just me I would not think twice. When one is disabled, it is daunting to find a spot to store the wheelchair/walker and have the elderly person sit down.

Thank you for reading my post.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 PM

Tell them. If we don't say anything.....nothing happens. Tell them.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Platinum member

The wheelchair sign on the table is there so you keep it
open for someone who needs it!
Sorry for your experience.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Sage

It sounds like you needed help and no one noticed. I'd like to think everyone in that room would do whatever it takes to make your mom comfortable. It's a mom thing.

Maybe the next time, before things get complicated you go in first and pick out the best table. Ask someone to move and explain why.

Helping someone feels pretty good all day. Besides it's not like you're asking for their Jimmy Buffet front row seats.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
This morning I took my 90 year old parents to McDonald's at Colony for breakfast. Mom can barely walk but with a walker she manages. We tend to gravitate to the nearest table but a male with a hat and newspaper was thrown on a table for 4. I navigated towards the wheelchair assessable table and there was one woman sitting there also alone reading her book. We squeezed in a table and borrowed a chair from another 4 seated table where another lone person sat as well. If this were just me I would not think twice. When one is disabled, it is daunting to find a spot to store the wheelchair/walker and have the elderly person sit down.

Thank you for reading my post.
Bob Evans, Perkins or Bonifay would have been a better choice.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
Bob Evans, Perkins or Bonifay would have been a better choice.
Why would these be better food choices for us?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
They didn't say they were better food choices but probably better experience.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
It sounds like you needed help and no one noticed. I'd like to think everyone in that room would do whatever it takes to make your mom comfortable. It's a mom thing.
Maybe the next time, before things get complicated you go in first and pick out the best table. Ask someone to move and explain why.
Helping someone feels pretty good all day. Besides it's not like you're asking for their Jimmy Buffet front row seats.
Missypie, that was a frustrating experience for you and I'm sorry.
I just want to say that you are lucky to still have parents alive, mine have been gone for a very long time and I miss them.

Sometimes if people are reading, they just don't notice what is going on around them.
I agree with Tom that if you'd gone in first and asked someone at a large table to move, explaining the situation, I bet the person would have had no problem moving and making your mom and dad comfortable.
And they probably would have felt good about it all day.
It doesn't help make today's experience better, but Tom's suggestion could make things better for future visits.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Gold member

Thank you all for your suggestions. It made me feel better to read these.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
It's not about the food. It's about seating availability. Bring a card table and set it up outside. LOLn

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Dancing Thyme

So sorry you and your parents had this experience. I know what it can be like. When my dad was still with us, I was always trying to anticipate ahead of things to make him more comfortable and was always soooo appreciative when someone gave us assistance. Its hard enough to not make the parent feel like they are a burden and when no one pays attention and offers assistance, its so frustrating.

BTW, that McD's is always sooo busy, not that I ever go in, but when passing by I can see the amount of cars there. Sometimes it might be less stressful to drive a little distance to assure it will be a nicer experience.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Sage

As an 'aside' to this...I for one, have to wonder "why" a person uses up a seat and reads at a McD's?! If they'd want to be where there's people...why not B & N. where there's actually comfie seats for doing that. I think in a restaurant of any kind it's rude---especially if they're not eating.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sometimes I know that I am so focused on what I am doing that I miss seeing something like this happening.

Please give your beautiful mom kisses on both cheeks and then do it again from Gracie.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sometimes I know that I am so focused on what I am doing that I miss seeing something like this happening.

Please give your beautiful mom kisses on both cheeks and then do it again from Gracie.
Thanks Gracie, I was just venting. Many times I am also guilty of not being perceptive to others' needs as well. Also will do as you have requested.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I am one of those readers and eaters. Once my nose is in a book, I rarely notice much of anything around me, so would probably would not have noticed your predicament. So, I will apologize for the lady reading -- who knows, it could have been me.

I would have bee more than happy to move or share my table with you if necessary had you asked. I'm sure other patrons would have felt the same way. Most single diners Re more than happy to help out another. So, please don't hesitate to ask the next time. The worst that could happen is someone saying no and that's their loss, not yours.

In the meantime, vent away

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.