Pickle Ball and Vertigo

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Default Pickle Ball and Vertigo

About five years ago I suffered from a specific type of vertigo called "BPPV" , I no longer have it or so I thought. Recently while playing pickleball I've noticed that I feel somewhat spacey, unbalanced and slightly dizzy. I wonder if anyone else has had these sympthoms while playing pickleball. I also show these sympthoms when turning in zumba or dancing. Does anyone else suffer from this and if so can you suggest something that helps. I have not mentioned this to my doctor because I thought I would just give up doing these activities but I really don't want to stop playing pickleball. Wondering how common this is and if anyone else suffers. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurevillager2013 View Post
About five years ago I suffered from a specific type of vertigo called "BPPV" , I no longer have it or so I thought. Recently while playing pickleball I've noticed that I feel somewhat spacey, unbalanced and slightly dizzy. I wonder if anyone else has had these sympthoms while playing pickleball. I also show these sympthoms when turning in zumba or dancing. Does anyone else suffer from this and if so can you suggest something that helps. I have not mentioned this to my doctor because I thought I would just give up doing these activities but I really don't want to stop playing pickleball. Wondering how common this is and if anyone else suffers. Thanks.
I had BPPV. One treatment by the audiologist, Dr Waldo at Villages Health Mulberry got rid of it. The treatment takes about 15 minutes, is not pleasant, but gets the job done.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I had an experience with BPPV a few years ago. My doctor showed me an exercise which cleared it up. I have had no further episodes. Thankfully none were due to excessive adult beverages!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:05 PM

Care to share the exercise. I too suffer with Vertigo
Old 05-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Sage

My doctor had me lay on my back with my head hanging over the edge and he turned my head in a certain order of positions I had to hold for a few seconds on each one. He gave me a copy to follow if I needed it to do it at home. If you google BPPV you should find the illustration of the exercise. If you're having a continued problem with vertigo contact your physician to verify it's BPPV.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Gold member

Talk to your doctor.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:03 PM
Sage

BPPV can return again...I've had it 2 or 3 times. A physical therapist can help you get rid of it and it's pretty simple. As someone else has said...talk to your doctor.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Here are some positional movements used to treat various forms of BPPV. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) | Vestibular Disorders Association

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown;1065***
Here are some positional movements used to treat various forms of BPPV. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) | Vestibular Disorders Association
Thanks for posting the illustration. I've been fortunate not to have to use it since but sometimes what few marbles I have left come loose.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:18 AM

Thank you as well for the illustration. Fortunately my sympthoms are only related to sports activities and do not affect my day to day activities. Will be mentioning it to my doctor this week. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you as well for the illustration. Fortunately my sympthoms are only related to sports activities and do not affect my day to day activities. Will be mentioning it to my doctor this week. Thanks.
Mine only occurred when I initially would rise from bed and lay back down for the evening. I would walk around and function all day with no problem.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Sage

I hsd vertigo (Meuniere's syndrome) for 8 years in the 70's. It was the worst thing I ever had. Extremely dibilitating, and nothing could be done for it at that time. Lsst month I had a single episode of vertigo and I was terrified that it was coming back.
No more episodes, but my doctor and I agreed that it couldn't hurt to take one anti sesickness pill every morning, so that's what I do.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Make sure you are well hydrated. Your symptoms are also some of the same ones caused by dehydration. It might be something that simple. I know because this was an issue for me and my husband. Our doctor told us that most people wake up at least two glasses of water short. Symptoms disappeared once we got on a regular water consumption regimen.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyawaygirl View Post
Care to share the exercise. I too suffer with Vertigo
The Epley procedures are online. Good luck. I heard these exercises were developed for figure skaters who wanted to spin....indefinitely. That's how they condition themselves to do it.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I hsd vertigo (Meuniere's syndrome) for 8 years in the 70's. It was the worst thing I ever had. Extremely dibilitating, and nothing could be done for it at that time. Lsst month I had a single episode of vertigo and I was terrified that it was coming back.
No more episodes, but my doctor and I agreed that it couldn't hurt to take one anti sesickness pill every morning, so that's what I do.
May I respectfully urge you to have the Epley maneuvers familiar to you, just in case? It is demonstrated on YouTube and other places online. I will spare you the horror of my own Meniere's but will say it got so bad I was nauseated all the time, couldn't stand up, etc. for two months. Lake ENT and their physical therapist "saved" me. It took about 6 weeks and it was rough because I was so ill....but little by little I got better during the therapy. Now, I have maintenance exercises to keep me stable and I haven't taken a sea sick pill or anything else for a year. Good luck. God bless.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.