Please turn off your backyard lights at bedtime

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Default Please turn off your backyard lights at bedtime

Our backyard neighbors have installed up-lights on their backyard garden. We both back onto a villa wall. I'm sure they are lovely from inside, but they are leaving them on all night long. While they don't shine directly onto our house, the glow bouncing off their house leaves our bedroom in perpetual twilight. Very difficult when you wake up at night and your brain thinks its morning. I'm sure they haven't considered this and will kindly put them on timers or shut them off when they go to bed. Eleven pm seems reasonable, yes?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 PM

Couldn't you just go talk to them?
Old 06-26-2015, 12:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post
I'm sure they haven't considered this and will kindly put them on timers or shut them off when they go to bed. Eleven pm seems reasonable, yes?
I assume from your post that you plan to talk to them and ask them to put the lights on timers? Good idea.
And yes, eleven PM seems reasonable.
If the neighbors want to leave the lights on for security reasons, you could always get some room-darkening blinds.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:14 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Vorage, I am probably wrong, and perhaps some will call me judgmental, but it seems to me people who do such thoughtless things really don't care. Consideration for other simply gets lost on them.

Perhaps speaking to your neighbors in this case will get the job done but the idea that you have to confront them for something common sense should have alerted them to is a bit much.

I had a neighbor in MN who let his dog roam. a beautiful and intelligent creature and smart enough to know that it was better to cross onto my lawn daily rather than his masters. I thought this dog owner really does not care. I called animal control but it didn't stop and after four calls to animal control it still persisted until the day we moved.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

...///

Last edited by Villager Joyce; 06-26-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:35 AM

What area do you live in? We have backyard solar lights and one on a timer. I don't "think" they shine into anyone else's backyard. Perhaps they will see this and become more aware of the situation.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
...///
I agree with Joyce.

I also agree with Barefoot.

I leave my bedside light on to sleep. I always have. And the TV.

We have a set of double street lights at the end of our drive and at midnight you could sit out there and read the paper.

I am glad you mentioned this. I would never ever think that landscape lighting would bother anyone.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Gold member

that is what curtains and blinds are for.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post
Eleven pm seems reasonable, yes?
Heck yes. Invite them over to see how it lights up your bedroom at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I had a neighbor in MN who let his dog roam. a beautiful and intelligent creature and smart enough to know that it was better to cross onto my lawn daily rather than his masters. I thought this dog owner really does not care. I called animal control but it didn't stop and after four calls to animal control it still persisted until the day we moved.
I had a similar circumstance; I went and bought dog food and dog treats, made friends with the dog. The dog would come straight over and lay on our deck and wait for us to come out. One evening the neighbor came looking for his dog, he found her laying on our deck. He complained about us feeding his dog, and I told him "If I have to pick up the dogs crap from my yard, I should get to enjoy the dogs company too!" They were so jealous, they put a fence up to keep the dog from coming over.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
that is what curtains and blinds are for.
what a BRILLANT idea -
Originally from Maine & Virginia
Old 06-26-2015, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
"If I have to pick up the dogs crap from my yard, I should get to enjoy the dogs company too!"
This wins the "You made me laugh and best comeback" award today!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
Heck yes. Invite them over to see how it lights up your bedroom at night.

I had a similar circumstance; I went and bought dog food and dog treats, made friends with the dog. The dog would come straight over and lay on our deck and wait for us to come out. One evening the neighbor came looking for his dog, he found her laying on our deck. He complained about us feeding his dog, and I told him "If I have to pick up the dogs crap from my yard, I should get to enjoy the dogs company too!" They were so jealous, they put a fence up to keep the dog from coming over.
The vast majority especially in TV are NOT inconsiderate dinosaurs. As an alternative and opportunity to establish good relations, one could empower oneself and speak in friendly manner and explain the situation. Why make an enemy when there is much to be gained from civil relationships. As my grandfather was fond of saying, "the most mature person in a relationship is responsible for taking the first step towards resolution".
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 AM

See, I love all this discussion and it does shed a new light (heh, heh) on the issue. I was all huffy about it and never considered the idea that they may need the comfort of lighting. While I'm not the person to knock on someone's door about this, I resented the idea of blackout curtains when the blinds were perfectly fine before. Now that you all have given me some perspective, if the problem persists (and I may just get used to it) blackout curtains will be ordered.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Than our jobs are done. Nap time.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Eternal Member

After reading this, many thoughts came to mind. I think there are some people who wouldn't even give it a thought that it was bothering anyone because they are probably used to it.
If I lived by myself, I'm pretty sure I would have some kind of lighting in back yard for my peace of mind.

Tags
backyard, night, house, morning, twilight, perpetual, difficult, wake, brain, thinks, eleven, bed, reasonable, shut, kindly, put, timers, considered, shine, back, wall, villa, garden, up-lights, lights

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.