Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Too much humidity and pollen

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I can't imagine sleeping with the windows op[en in this heat and humidity.
Too much pollen and humidity for me but if it works for you great.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
One of the first things our law enforcement officers suggest as a deterrent to crime is keeping the areas around our home lit.
Indeed, and we have automated lights that come on at sunset and off at sunrise around our home up north for exactly that reason. I was considering putting in the same at our new home in TV, but now I'm worried it will upset the neighbors. Perhaps if I made them motion sensitive that would be a reasonable compromise?
--
bc
Old 06-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Platinum member
Default Motion detectors

About 17 years ago someone went through the neighborhood and hit a bunch of cars including ours. Broken passenger window but nothing found to steal. Immediately istalled the motion detector lights from lowes and no more thefts after that. Neighbors to the left have had things removed regularly from the yard and vehicles and never put lights up. We have had to replace two bulbs in all those years. Paid off for us.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

My Lanai backs up to the back tee of a golf course. A neighbor a few doors down (seasonal residents) leave a double spot light on day and night even when they are not here. It shines in our kitchen/living room and I just put up a blind to pull at night.
We have 2 Chihuahuas that we take out of the lanai to do their business and needed a light at night to make sure there are no predators in my back yard. We have seen a red fox go past several times as wells as an eagle, and know there are coyotes around the area.
I bought a clear bulb led rope light and attached it under my eaves and run it off a timer.
This gives enough light to see around our yard, but does not shine like a spot light or motion detector light would. Anyone who has small dogs need to be with them at all times when they are outside.....they can become dinner for the predators!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 PM

One of the reasons we bought our CYV was that there were no homes behind us, only a street and other villas that faced toward us. We soon discovered since the wall behind us was low and that the post light from the house on the next block shined into our bedroom window. We and a neighbor contacted The Villages regarding the height of the wall, long story short, too bad. The homeowner was doing nothing wrong, and of course they should have their light on. The solution, blackout shades for the window and the slider, expensive but worth it.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
Couldn't you just go talk to them?
Or just put some blackout shades on your window.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
how about plantation shutters for the bedroom? Maybe the neighbor already has them and that would be a perfect way to strike up a conversation.......
Doesn't light still filter through plantation shutters? I like a completely dark bedroom for sleeping at night and so does hubby. I would be an unhappy camper if I had landscape lighting brightening my bedroom at night. Personally, I don't want to have to put blackout window treatments on my windows. I had other ideas for window treatment for our master bedroom.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Default Bedroom light

From a safety standpoint a little light in the bedroom is a great thing. I can't tell you what a trip over the dog in a dark bedroom has cost my dear hubby. Think about it.
Closed Thread

Tags
backyard, night, house, morning, twilight, perpetual, difficult, wake, brain, thinks, eleven, bed, reasonable, shut, kindly, put, timers, considered, shine, back, wall, villa, garden, up-lights, lights

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.