Closed Caption - Comcast - HDTV

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Eternal Member
Default Closed Caption - Comcast - HDTV

I have relied on the closed caption facility of television for many years now. Every once in a while FX loses the closed caption and I call and complain, reach deaf ears and but it eventually gets fixed.

The other day, I went down to COMCAST and got a digital cable/DVR box so I could watch the HDTV stations on my HDTV TV. Imagine my dismay when there was no closed caption on any of the HDTV channels. The sister station in non-HDTV had closed caption.

Is anyone out there that uses closed caption on COMCAST been able to find a solution for this? OR do you put up with no closed caption on the HDTV channels?

Thanks.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Default Re: Closed Caption - Comcast - HDTV

I may be able to help you as I too rely on closed captioning and experienced similar issues. I could not figure out how to turn it on so I called the tech support for my HDTV. They told me CC only works with picture-in-picture. Then I called Comcast and was enlightened. My problem was due to my cable box brand! I have a Motorola HD DVR. If this is what you have then do this. Turn off the cable box and wait until the numbers turn red, then press the menu button. A totally different menu comes up and CC is the 4th or 5th item down. It is there you can enable it. It is both a good and bad deal, however. You must ALWAYS shut off the box to use or not use CC, and this can be a real pain in the a**. On the other hand there are many options like type font, type size and back ground color. Hope this helps you.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 AM

My wife uses hearing aids so we live with CC. I turn it off she turns it on. If I have to turn the pwer off everytime to make a change, then I guess Directv is the way I will go. Thanks for the info. By the way some HD programs do not have the CC because of the bandwith it requires to carry the HD signal. Directv is upgrading their HD programming and will supposedly add or convert @150 channels to HD later this year.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan
My wife uses hearing aids so we live with CC. I turn it off she turns it on. If I have to turn the pwer off everytime to make a change, then I guess Directv is the way I will go. Thanks for the info. By the way some HD programs do not have the CC because of the bandwith it requires to carry the HD signal. Directv is upgrading their HD programming and will supposedly add or convert @150 channels to HD later this year.
HERE IS A LITTLE MORE INFO

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/1004383963.aspx
Old 08-27-2007, 04:33 PM

LG That was interesting and exactly what I thought.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks for all of the responses. I did a chat with Sony and it ended up as a Comcast problem. I had a chat with Comcast and it ended up being a Sony problem.

I went to the internet and after a few hits and misses, it turns out that the Motorola DCT6412 converter box has a setting that turns on closed caption for HD stations. OPBOB77 describes the answer in his post.

You can enable closed captions via the "hidden" menu in the 6412. It can be accessed by turning off the converter and turning on the TV and pressing menu on the front of the box. The entry is part way down from the top of the list. Enable Closed caption and you are on your way.

Amazing that the Comcast tech did not know that.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.